Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

11 - snelling.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2023 (previously delisted)
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd love nothing more than to agree for several reasons - but what small players on our list is better suited to play the Richmond/Rutten/Cara high intensity high pressure, 2 way running, handball happy gamestyle than this guy?

I don't like it more than most but of he doesn't stay then where are we actually heading?

Being small is not a necessary part of the criteria. Its all about high intensity run.

I've not seen anything to suggest Snelling is capable of it.

Would have made much more sense to get some size and strength from the outnumber.

Last edited:
I would be offering 1 year and looking to play him as a small forward because his spot up the ground needs to be taken by a taller midfielder.
Looks like a pretty good call.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Debatable whether he's best 22, fringe or depth but there's no issue having someone like Snelling on the list

Agree that having him around is good. I see him as depth all going well with injuries.

Hoping for Stewart next.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I mean he didn't miss a game this year and finished top 10 in the best and fairest. He's best 22.
I think people using the best and fairest as a measuring stick is more an indictment on the guys Will finished ahead of than Will himself.

As you noted, Will didn't miss a game and had a reasonable year. The guys behind him were not as influential.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Doesn't make a lot of sense. Can't say I'm his biggest fan. But he plays every game in his first full season at the club. Is only 23. Finishes top top ten in the BnF - we only sign for a year?

I harp on about this but, too often, there is a gap between our approach to match committee and list management.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean he didn't miss a game this year and finished top 10 in the best and fairest. He's best 22.
Given the way our BnF rewards those that play most games it’s logical he’d finish high. Solid depth but shouldn’t be top 10 if we’re not rubbish. Probably better than we’d get at pick 80-something so 1 year makes sense

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I think people using the best and fairest as a measuring stick is more an indictment on the guys Will finished ahead of than Will himself.

As you noted, Will didn't miss a game and had a reasonable year. The guys behind him were not as influential.

Remember when Brady Rawlings won the North B&F & said that if he was ever up there again, then the club was in trouble?

I like the Mingma but i'm taking this as a good sign that near enough won't be good enough in the future.

Same here. He has been handy and has had the required work rate but the side has to improve. Gets another year to see if he can step it up or if someone else can step up and go past him.

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't really see why anyone would be unhappy with this. 1-year on what would assumedly be peanuts.

At full-strength, you'd probably hope he's depth/around our 25th-30th best player - but he had a pretty good year, all things considered.

Clearly a limited footballer, but reckon you’d love him as a coach. Gives his all.

Bit a love for this bloke? Feel he's rather maligned, which is pretty normal for a small forward that pushes up on the wings, but was huge yesterday. Never going to be a world beater, but hard as a cats head, tackle machine and great goal sense. Fits the Richmond small mould to punch above his weight/size.

He’s one of a few guys you feel confident that he’ll convert from within 40 - stringer, Langford and Tippa are probably the other ones.

He plays the same game week in week out. The consistency is good for the team. As a small half forward though, he’s going to look good if the teams playing well and you’ll wonder if he even played if the team plays poorly. He’s not a lock, but the only way he would lose his place is if people from below go past him IMO.

Back