List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sen is reporting carlton are NOT going after Dunstan. I wonder if there are any other suitors. Possibly that is what Lethlean is referring to about not having the assets for Treloar. Assumedly it would take 2 to 3 of Dunstan, Savage, Webster, Lonie, Roberton moving to create the space required.
Lonie will go and Savage isn't contracted so we can just delist him if there are no takers.

It's going to be really hard to off load those contracted players though.

Hi fellas, hope you're well and enjoying the off season :)
I come in peace as Saints have always been one of my "second" teams if that's a thing. In other words I like St. Kilda whereas I certainly don't like Carlton or Collingwood.

Given our Higgins is a maybe to come to you, I was looking at your team and I just don't see what the point would be. I don't see him breaking into your best 22 and, on looking at your team for 2021, jesus you guys are looking fantastic on paper.

Here's what I think it looks like:

B: Long, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Battle
C: Hill, Ross, Jones
HF: Billings, Membrey, Sinclair
F: Butler, King, Gresham
R: Marshall, Steele, Crouch
Int: Ryder, Hannebery, Geary, Clark

Have I got it about right?

This means that emerging players like Paton don't get into the side, as well as guys like Higgins if you get him or Lonie if you keep him.

Very, very good side on paper, can definitely challenge for a Premiership with that.

I only see one "deficiency" if you can call it that, in that you don't really have a dashing small defender in the ilk of guys like Saad or our Jayden Short, but I think the pace of your side across the ground will probably mitigate that.

I obviously hope we can continue our run but, if we can't, I'd certainly be on the Sainters as a genuine chance!

Anyway, cheers and all the best :)
That's a good effort from a non-St Kilda supporter.

I would say our best 22 next year looks like this:
B: Paton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Long - Carlisle - Coffield
C: Hill - Jones - Hannebery
HF: Gresham - Marshall - Billings
F: Butler - King - Membrey
Foll: Ryder - Steele - Crouch
INT: Clark, Battle, Ross/Treloar (unlikely), Higgins/Sinclair

Like previously mentioned, Paton is a lock for the small defender spot. I don't believe Geary will be captain this year. Based on talent, he is not best 22.

I think they can.

They will likely end up with 7, 8 and 9.

That's 4 firsts over the next two years so they can trade any two out in pretty sure.
They only have 1 for next year in the first round.

dogs can’t take any in this years first round as it will be eaten matching that kid.

so you still need Atleast 1 more club.

Oh nah I know Long, I did see you beat us in Round 4 after all :) Also not sure we slaughtered you in the Semi, but I also don't think we had quite hit our best yet, we were fumbly that night. I think we hit our straps in the second half vs. Port and, despite a poor second quarter in the GF, were mostly at our best by then.

Second team is probably the wrong term tbh, it's just more that I like the Saints and will generally barrack for them in a neutral game. But I don't "follow" you guys otherwise, so to speak, I'm a pure Tiger through and through.

But yeah fair enough, Battle is pretty decent hey, good at both ends.

Paton in for Geary then? Seems unlikely for him to be dropped though?

Who replaces Sinclair? Higgins then, if you get him from us?

But anyway yeah, on Long, I know I don't know your team like you do, but I guess I saw him as more like Vlastuin for us. Good interceptor and can run off a little bit, but not the line breaking HB like a Saad or Short?

:)
I actually see Coffield as more our Vlastuin type tbh. His second half of the year was exceptional, do yourself a favour and keep an eye on him.

We also have this highly rated youngster who we all hope will push Ross out of the best 22 called Bytel - as Crouch is supsended for two weeks, he will hopefully be a chance for a spot in the first two rounds. If he does manage to break in, keep an eye on him. Was actually highly rated in 2018 draft but due to an ongoing back injury he slid to second or third round.

And by slaughtered I meant when we got it at half back, we were like a deer in headlights - not necessarily that you slaughtered us all over. Mainly because of the exceptional forward pressure you placed on us which cannot be understated. But part of the reason for that was Long. Although I will say Savage was quite useful as that dashing defender that night. Some might say he was even better than what we could've expected of Long. And we could've done with someone who plays on the edge like Long. (Sort of a Toby Greene MK II if you will) The physicality was just too much for us to withstand.

Hi fellas, hope you're well and enjoying the off season :)
I come in peace as Saints have always been one of my "second" teams if that's a thing. In other words I like St. Kilda whereas I certainly don't like Carlton or Collingwood.

Given our Higgins is a maybe to come to you, I was looking at your team and I just don't see what the point would be. I don't see him breaking into your best 22 and, on looking at your team for 2021, jesus you guys are looking fantastic on paper.

Here's what I think it looks like:

B: Long, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Battle
C: Hill, Ross, Jones
HF: Billings, Membrey, Sinclair
F: Butler, King, Gresham
R: Marshall, Steele, Crouch
Int: Ryder, Hannebery, Geary, Clark

Have I got it about right?

This means that emerging players like Paton don't get into the side, as well as guys like Higgins if you get him or Lonie if you keep him.

Very, very good side on paper, can definitely challenge for a Premiership with that.

I only see one "deficiency" if you can call it that, in that you don't really have a dashing small defender in the ilk of guys like Saad or our Jayden Short, but I think the pace of your side across the ground will probably mitigate that.

I obviously hope we can continue our run but, if we can't, I'd certainly be on the Sainters as a genuine chance!

Anyway, cheers and all the best :)

Yeah not to bad of a side but we love Paton here :p

My word. Listened to Riccuto's interview this morning re Crouch.
That club is in an awful position. Their admin still appears to be utterly clueless. Can understand why their fans are so frustrated with the leaders.
Nice to be finally in a position where we have switched on leaders who appear to know what success looks like.

Dogs don't need a 1st Rounder they need Points.
WB hand over P8 and Coll hand over
later picks to accommodate Ugle Hagan
They have their existing first rounder for that. They can’t have any other picks in the first round as it will be used towards matching.

so picks 6/7/8 are useless to them.

Going to leave this here. Pay attention from 45 seconds...

Just wow.

$500k per year. wow. last year wasn't it brad trying to get up to $1mill per year. it is no wonder that they only got band 2 with $500k

Don’t be silly. They are still recovering from what we did to them.

they won’t do two stupid things..... would they?

I'm not sure we did anything.
If Lethlean didn't listen to trade radio , he may have simply spoken to Brad, and lodged and offer he thought was reasonable, then waited.

Oh that's right , he did respond to an interview where he said we wouldn't be trading for him.

I call it self-inflicted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Why should she make her career decisions based on her partner? Adam should just follow her up north. What a sook.
I'm sure that's something for them as a couple and no one else's business.
The saints only concern should be around his ability to commit to a contract with us for the next five years.

Just doing some reading on the Crows BigFooty site . They said Crouch was told he wasn’t going to get a long term deal at the Crows . Seems a good player to me , I wonder why they weren’t going to give him a long deal considering how bad the side has been playing .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

a little injury prone. did drugs this year.

Bains did a great job I thought.

Future second for Steele is a huge win.
Pick 5 and 24 for Carlisle and Gresh is also a huge win.
Shafting the Hawks to get Battle Clark and Longy for pick 10.

Unless I’m missing something he was fantastic :drunk:

people forget the good things and only think of the bad

That's a good effort from a non-St Kilda supporter.

I would say our best 22 next year looks like this:
B: Paton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Long - Carlisle - Coffield
C: Hill - Jones - Hannebery
HF: Gresham - Marshall - Billings
F: Butler - King - Membrey
Foll: Ryder - Steele - Crouch
INT: Clark, Battle, Ross/Treloar (unlikely), Higgins/Sinclair. Bytel & Byrnes

Like previously mentioned, Paton is a lock for the small defender spot. I don't believe Geary will be captain this year. Based on talent, he is not best 22.

yeah unfortunately see Parker not getting contract either ....don’t get our supporters love for Phillips myself.

Ratten has continually said got to have players that can kick footy we get Higgins all over for players
like Phillips ...

All these people worried about getting Crouch and Treloar meaning Hunter’s development will be stymied.... I don’t see it personally.

If we do get Treloar, Hunter becomes our Hodge. Simple. The kid is made for that role and is already excelling at it.

Him, Coff, Wilkie, Paton, Long and Howard are bloody young but will gain more and more synergy together. They were already good this year despite their inexperience. They are going to get better and better individually and as a unit.

Let our defense gel together for a number of years and watch it deliver us a couple of premierships.

Adding talent to our midfield simply allows our defense to stay settled. It’s a massive win/win.
I've lived in hope of seeing a time when we could say "if player X from big club X joins us then we may have too many good players."

Last edited:
Personally I don't think Gallagher reamed anybody. As supporters we like to think of this as getting one over the other club but in the list manager world it is different.

RFA, we got the player to nominate us, we put in a bid what was appropriate to OUR LIST AND CAP MANAGEMENT, regardless of threats to match lodged the papers and waited.

When the pressure was on for Adelaide to match, we calmly and out of the media eye made it known we would walk Crouch to the PSD. Adelaide played the game and in the end was left with no choice. Do they do what their supporters do, make some kind of rash statement and burn a pick or take what was offered by the AFL.
Only one rational choice for Adelaide. Both played the RFA game, one played it a bit better.

While I largely agree with your take on this, where Adelaide stuffed up was their bluster about pick two - if they didn’t say that publicly then they could walk away and tell their fans that Bert Couch wasn’t worth it. Their idiotic public stance is what has upset their supporters (admittedly their idiot supporters are probably easily upset by not getting their own way).

Reality is that the system worked as designed, and we were on the winning side of that.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I don't think Gallagher reamed anybody. As supporters we like to think of this as getting one over the other club but in the list manager world it is different.

RFA, we got the player to nominate us, we put in a bid what was appropriate to OUR LIST AND CAP MANAGEMENT, regardless of threats to match lodged the papers and waited.

When the pressure was on for Adelaide to match, we calmly and out of the media eye made it known we would walk Crouch to the PSD. Adelaide played the game and in the end was left with no choice. Do they do what their supporters do, make some kind of rash statement and burn a pick or take what was offered by the AFL.
Only one rational choice for Adelaide. Both played the RFA game, one played it a bit better.
Not even sure this will play out in the media.

but Friday through to Saturday evening/Sunday morning we spoke about the frame work of a side deal.

crows kept coming back to our first rounder and we kept saying no, we won’t discuss.

we offered players etc for later picks.

we even told them behind closed doors we wouldn’t be trading if they matched and I believe this was communicated to both crouch/agent and Adelaide prior to lodging.

the fact they thought we even would consider cracking after all this is crazy.

Last point on this deal aswell- we consider Brad a good footballer - who hasn’t scratched his potential. That point is being pushed by Ratten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back