Analysis Where will our goals come from?

Which players on the list can average one goal per game in season 2021?

• Taberner

Votes: 82 89.1%
  • Walters

Votes: 66 71.7%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Schultz

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Crowden

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Lobb

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sturt

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Henry

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Frederick

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Switkowski

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Colyer

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason I said it would be bold is because of the exact rationale you posted. It's the same type of thinking that has players like Neale and Caleb Daniel at the bottom of the draft.

They would all be relatively cheap. They have all demonstrated a desire to compete and win. They would all have more appreciation for a list spot than an 18-19 year old. They would all be late draft picks. They have all demonstrated goal sense. They could all be moved on after a single season if they don't work out. They all seem to have more upside than the last key forward we drafted in Dixon. I really don't see the downside. I think that one of the big problems is that everyone seems to over-rate our youth. They have all shown more durability than Sturt for example who keeps being thrown up as a serious option.

Either way, our forward line sucks. Some posters on here even after a year of JLO coaching 'skills' still think that it can be coached into our current squad. I disagree.

Logan McDonald is a perfect example. He isn't the leading wafl goal scorer. He's 4th. He is out of our price range because of POTENTIAL. Because he is young. Alec Waterman is the WAFL leading goal scorer and he already was drafted by a smarter, more successful club.

At the moment, our club is gifting games to high draft picks, basically gambling that they will become legitimate AFL players eventually. The likelihood is that if we drafted Mason Shaw and Logan McDonald at the same time, Shaw would probably be picked ahead of McDonald on merit for the first year or two of his career and that's why clubs won't do it. If the club drafted McDonald they would want him playing AFL from game 1 so he can get AFL experience.

What a load of dribble...

Banfield doesn't have a contract so effectively yes. Thomas is Cat B so he can stay as a free hit.
Why do we still have Banfield in limbo without a contract, surely it shouldn't matter about the list sizes, we have tried him in a few roles over the years and he has been pretty ordinary and no other team wants him so wouldn't it be better just to delist him and pick up a late pick from the WAFL, maybe like a Corey Gault, Sam Fisher, Jackson Ramsay, Tyler Keitel

Why do we still have Banfield in limbo without a contract, surely it shouldn't matter about the list sizes, we have tried him in a few roles over the years and he has been pretty ordinary and no other team wants him so wouldn't it be better just to delist him and pick up a late pick from the WAFL, maybe like a Corey Gault, Sam Fisher, Jackson Ramsay, Tyler Keitel
I agree that I think the list spot is better used some other way but not sure any of those guys fill me with anymore confidence than Bailey does.

I agree that I think the list spot is better used some other way but not sure any of those guys fill me with anymore confidence than Bailey does.
Keitel is pretty tall, right age and averaged 2.5 goals a game this year, worth a punt as a last round pick given the lack of options we have. You dont pay a lot and you never know, I guess it depends on what a person makes of an opportunity

Keitel is pretty tall, right age and averaged 2.5 goals a game this year, worth a punt as a last round pick given the lack of options we have. You dont pay a lot and you never know, I guess it depends on what a person makes of an opportunity

Don't you realise the people telling you no, know more than you? What a load of dribble.

/s

The reason I don't want them is because the whole AFL has judged them over several years or more to be missing AFL quality. While they could be wrong it is more likely they are right. If we had unlimited spots I'd give him a try.

I'd rather give it to a player that definitely has AFL quality but has some other limitation that is workable but will take time (like a Tabs). So pick 2-3 fitting that description from the next couple of drafts and give them a few years. We also need to drop our first rounder on a KPF as soon as the opportunity presents.

The reason I said it would be bold is because of the exact rationale you posted. It's the same type of thinking that has players like Neale and Caleb Daniel at the bottom of the draft.

They would all be relatively cheap. They have all demonstrated a desire to compete and win. They would all have more appreciation for a list spot than an 18-19 year old. They would all be late draft picks. They have all demonstrated goal sense. They could all be moved on after a single season if they don't work out. They all seem to have more upside than the last key forward we drafted in Dixon. I really don't see the downside. I think that one of the big problems is that everyone seems to over-rate our youth. They have all shown more durability than Sturt for example who keeps being thrown up as a serious option.

Either way, our forward line sucks. Some posters on here even after a year of JLO coaching 'skills' still think that it can be coached into our current squad. I disagree.

Logan McDonald is a perfect example. He isn't the leading wafl goal scorer. He's 4th. He is out of our price range because of POTENTIAL. Because he is young. Alec Waterman is the WAFL leading goal scorer and he already was drafted by a smarter, more successful club.

At the moment, our club is gifting games to high draft picks, basically gambling that they will become legitimate AFL players eventually. The likelihood is that if we drafted Mason Shaw and Logan McDonald at the same time, Shaw would probably be picked ahead of McDonald on merit for the first year or two of his career and that's why clubs won't do it. If the club drafted McDonald they would want him playing AFL from game 1 so he can get AFL experience.
Your suggestion highlights the issue with our KPF cupboard being pretty bare. Unless we get a look at the elite talent, the odds are we're going to need to take a lot of speculative picks to land a best 22 capable KPF. Practically we can't take 3 or 4 at once, they take up too many list slots for a low likelihood of success. But to think we can take one or two specs at the back end of this draft and cover our (future) lack of KPF is unlikely. It's probably going to be a long process and need some turnover.

Jeremy Cameron.

I'm calling it now, Bell generated goodwill by trading Hogan for peanuts, he loved his time in the hub in WA and they aren't picking up the phone to the Cats because they are working out the details with Bell.

Jeremy Cameron.

I'm calling it now, Bell generated goodwill by trading Hogan for peanuts, he loved his time in the hub in WA and they aren't picking up the phone to the Cats because they are working out the details with Bell.

TBF I called this weeks ago...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, if we can’t yet offer contracts to Bewley, Mundy and Schulz because we are making cap room by offloading Hogan, we sure as hell can’t afford Cameron.

We need to find/identify a new good medium half forward 6' to 6'3 (bigger frame) in addition to Sturt, that can compete in the air, smart kicks to others in the 50, regularly hit the scoreboard plus the defensive pressure. Our small forwards are all good but tiny under 6'.
Maybe try Valente, Acres or Hill, Bewley in the pre season.

That's with one of the bigger mids Fyfe, Mundy or Cera are always forward too.

We need to find/identify a new good medium half forward 6' to 6'3 (bigger frame) in addition to Sturt, that can compete in the air, smart kicks to others in the 50, regularly hit the scoreboard plus the defensive pressure. Our small forwards are all good but tiny under 6'.

Did somebody say Eddie Ford?

You have literally described Eddie Ford perfectly!

We literally have 3 of the best contesting marking blokes in the league.

We need to improve the system.

As I have said before in other threads, IMO we have 3 players who have in aggregate contested mark stats that are higher most other players because they are not good enough to get out on a lead to take uncontested marks (I accept that part of that is the system of getting it to them).

As I have said before in other threads, IMO we have 3 players who have in aggregate contested mark stats that are higher most other players because they are not good enough to get out on a lead to take uncontested marks (I accept that part of that is the system of getting it to them).

Agree with that. Literally can’t recall a time Taberner or Lobb have led out and been hit on the tit. It’s always a jostle in a 1v1 contest.

Fyfe gets out a bit more.

Hoping Sturt has games playing deep as he will have genuine pace to create separation on lead.

Bit of an out there suggestion but maybe we could leave an empty spot , tank the first 4 games and having scouted the KPF’s who didn’t get drafted and grab the best 1 available there

Some teams are going to get an absolute steal in those first couple of windows

I would like us to be one of them

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Bit of an out there suggestion but maybe we could leave an empty spot , tank the first 4 games and having scouted the KPF’s who didn’t get drafted and grab the best 1 available there

Some teams are going to get an absolute steal in those first couple of windows

I would like us to be one of them

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Cuddles... dat you??

Back