Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
The pies list management situation has got me wondering what are the worst current contracts in the AFL?

Bucks is seemingly trying to dump a good but arugably not great player. Yet the almost million dollar salary in his final contracted season may put rivals off? Due when he is a older man

What are the worst contract in football?

frank99

Debutant
Feb 27, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Grundy has to be up there, 7 years well into his 30s, huge dollars for a ruckman who was down this year, before the new deal has even kicked in. Generally anything greater than 5 seems to end badly, but I imagine clubs are making those huge commitments with the expectation of diminishing returns. Dusty appears to be the exception at this point.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Apparently a 5 year deal to a B-grade mid who will miss half the games with injury.

Or the second half of Franklin's contract.

Nomination number 2. Brandon Ellis.

Not injury prone and a host of positive attributes.

However can see him losing his spot in an improving suns 22.

Long term and not inexpensive contract. Richmond arugably improving in his position since moving on

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Ricky Nixon tells a story at sports night about a ridiculous offer they asked for Nick Daffy and Richmond agreed and they couldn’t believe it

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Mitch McGovern would nearly be at the top of the list

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah that’s a stinker contract. Gave up a lot of draft capital too. It was essentially a top 10 pick and mcadam who looks like he’ll be better than McGovern aswell.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

Surely on cost vs. output, this has to be the worst in the league currently. I think that is worse than any potential decline you'll get from a long-term star.

At 26 years old, he's probably as good as he's ever going to be, and it's arguable if he's even in Carlton's best 22 when everyone is fit.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Mm, daffy, beams are all good calls but I reckon keep it current footballers for the sake of Buckley

Rory Sloane
Tex Walker
All of the Pies current players it looks like
Whatever Marc Murphy gets paid it is too much

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely on cost vs. output, this has to be the worst in the league currently. I think that is worse than any potential decline you'll get from a long-term star.

At 26 years old, he's probably as good as he's ever going to be, and it's arguable if he's even in Carlton's best 22 when everyone is fit.

Saad. Jack Martin. Williams. Are also interesting options.

Carlton's aggressive rebuild may go either way?

When Roo questioned the McGovern contract he copped a lot of stick. But I thought he made some good points.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

When Roo questioned the McGovern contract he copped a lot of stick. But I thought he made some good points.

If Roo was a random media pundit sure, but now when he is a club representative. Can you imagine someone at Richmond going on the media and bagging the players who have left Richmond over the past couple of years?

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If Roo was a random media pundit sure, but now when he is a club representative. Can you imagine someone at Richmond going on the media and bagging the players who have left Richmond over the past couple of years?

Wouldn't bother me personally. (I do it. Lot). But then again I do like Butler. Ellis. Townsend. Etc

Roo gets more leway being a legendary player too imo

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Much like Boyd - he helped deliver a flag, it's worth the long contract even if he doesn't deliver in the later years

I think the boyd comparison, is a bit unfair to lunch. He's more like big Wayne Carey, but overall a good point.

If I were a doggies fan, i would be happy paying Boyd 45 million for those efforts.

I remember reading a Carlton fans after lunch first flag ; saying "but was it really worth it?". I was thinking ya man sure was

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn’t a club just commit 4 years with a 5th as a trigger to Rory Atkins, the 2nd worst current 100 gamer in the league behind Jordan Murdoch whom coincidentally plays at the same team?

Should Saad be acquired, Carlton will be paying he same money Essendon had on the table. It's a lot but also a need for Carlton.
Martin was heavily front-ended but makes our forward line immediately better. Quality player and something we didn't have.
I like Williams and it isn't even the money I'm worried about, but for the extra year or two on the contract. Not sure why that was required.
McGovern though; I'll give you that one for now. Has a lot to prove.....like a real lot.

Franklin even though not playing is the face of The Swans.
That alone doesn't account for everything but there is value attached.

Beams is the shocker as it seems that his contract may have set in motion, an unfortunate chain of events. We'll see.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Should Saad be acquired, Carlton will be paying he same money Essendon had on the table. It's a lot but also a need for Carlton.
Martin was heavily front-ended but makes our forward line immediately better. Quality player and something we didn't have.
I like Williams and it isn't even the money I'm worried about, but for the extra year or two on the contract. Not sure why that was required.
McGovern though; I'll give you that one for now. Has a lot to prove.....like a real lot.

Franklin even though not playing is the face of The Swans.
That alone doesn't account for everything but there is value attached.

Beams is the shocker as it seems that his contract may have set in motion, an unfortunate chain of events. We'll see.

I assumed Carlton would increase the Saad wage, given the new team and his form - buddy was indeed my 4th nom. A legendary footballer but also an epic wage , fit for the classics.

Back