rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
That InDaily article mentions Stephen Trigg was asked about his interest in Chairman. Wow if true.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no doubt that would be true, the AFC Board/Chapman are so out of touch, they all think they are doing a such wonderful job.

And Stephen was such a trooper during a difficult time.

I can’t escape the feeling that Hazel was a bit of a puppet master.

Bit too soon to use past tense as I'm pretty sure he's sticking around.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
well that’s Fagan done for

Conflict of interest is not the right way to put it, how about "where his heart lies".

Olsen should he pushing us to join the new AFL reserves structure instead of paying $400k per year for the "privilege" of playing in the SANFL.

This $400k would be better spend paying for our seconds to travel as part of the whole squad when we head east for matches. They can play the reserves at the same venue as the seniors.

So many more benefits than playing in a comp where we are so compromised on who can play in OUR own team, playing matches to different rules and interpretations, what jumper we can wear, how we promote ourselves etc.

Olsen won't push for the betterment of the AFC as he's still got one foot in the SANFL old boys club.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Conflict of interest is not the right way to put it, how about "where his heart lies".

Olsen should he pushing us to join the new AFL reserves structure instead of paying $400k per year for the "privilege" of playing in the SANFL.

This $400k would be better spend paying for our seconds to travel as part of the whole squad when we head east for matches. They can play the reserves at the same venue as the seniors.

So many more benefits than playing in a comp where we are so compromised on who can play in OUR own team, playing matches to different rules and interpretations, what jumper we can wear, how we promote ourselves etc.

Olsen won't push for the betterment of the AFC as he's still got one foot in the SANFL old boys club.

I think we'd need to subsidise our opponents travel to us as well. 30 extra people x $200 each way by 20 games is only $240k. Would think the seconds could travel and return on game day most weeks as we did to the hub this year. Even if you got caught with 1 night accom, 2 person share room at $200/night is only $60k across the season. Reckon there'd be change from $400k.

Last edited:

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
I think we'd need to subsidise our opponents travel to us as well. 30 extra people x $200 each way by 20 games is only $240k. Would think the seconds could travel and return on game day most weeks as we did to the hub this year. Even if you got caught with 1 might accom, 2 person share room at $200/night is only $60k across the season. Reckon there'd be change from $400k.

So cost is not the barrier.

Surely it is better for our reserves to get into the routine of travelling and playing under the same rules and interpretations as the seniors.

What is the downside?

Leaving a 1/2 million dollar hole in the SANFL budget.

Anything else?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
So cost is not the barrier.

Surely it is better for our reserves to get into the routine of travelling and playing under the same rules and interpretations as the seniors.

What is the downside?

Leaving a 1/2 million dollar hole in the SANFL budget.

Anything else?

I guess that food would be an additional cost for the 30 extras as they're very strict with what they eat when travelling. Otherwise it's really only the logistical costs of getting x amount of people to and from games and accommodated if required. Even if it was $400k, the further benefits make it a complete no brainer. I think you're right though, that's one area that Olsen probably won't act in the best interests of the AFC. It's really important that the footy dept push this very hard. Experience at the same ovals that they'll be playing at when called upon is enough a fringe benefit alone.

Might have trouble getting access to AO for our seconds though. Can see half the SMA being a bit difficult to work with. Which might result in our seconds playing away at AFL controlled venues each week. Or Alberton.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

I'd go further than that.

I'd offer to subsidise for 3 years, Norwood, Centrals and South into the new league in lieu of the $400k to the SANFL. All three will then have time to get their marketing up to scratch

We need competition here to save some travel weeks.

And unlike 1980s SA we need to be on the front foot in a national perspective.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I'd go further than that.

I'd offer to subsidise for 3 years, Norwood, Centrals and South into the new league in lieu of the $400k to the SANFL. All three will then have time to get their marketing up to scratch

We need competition here to save some travel weeks.

And unlike 1980s SA we need to be on the front foot in a national perspective.
Can I clarify, as I have come in late on this, are you suggesting that the 3 above mentioned clubs form a breakaway league with our reserves?

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Nope, join the Eastern AFL reserves lite.
As a Crows supporter, yes, it is a great outcome for the club.

As a Norwood supporter, absolutely not. I am not that invested in the SANFL, but I am invested in being able to watch the Legs every week, which I normally do, work permitting. If they joined this league, as you have proposed, that would be taken away. A lot of the guys that I watch them with every week have no interest in the AFL at all. Why should they have their club taken away from them to help us out?

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
As a Crows supporter, yes, it is a great outcome for the club.

As a Norwood supporter, absolutely not. I am not that invested in the SANFL, but I am invested in being able to watch the Legs every week, which I normally do, work permitting. If they joined this league, as you have proposed, that would be taken away. A lot of the guys that I watch them with every week have no interest in the AFL at all. Why should they have their club taken away from them to help us out?
Its their choice, be in an ever weaker SANFL comp or try to be the best you can.

Certainly no gun to their head.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Its their choice, be in an ever weaker SANFL comp or try to be the best you can.

Certainly no gun to their head.
Personally, I would rather Norwood be in a "weaker" SANFL comp and have have our club maintain its soul.

Have never believed that the 2 AFL clubs have any place being in the SANFL. It is of no benefit to either AFL club or to the SANFL clubs.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Back