Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

I assumed Carlton would increase the Saad wage, given the new team and his form - buddy was indeed my 4th nom. A legendary footballer but also an epic wage , fit for the classics.

That's not what's been reported as Essendon matched and somehow wanted him back......so they say.
Who knows but one thing for sure, Saad doesn't want anything to do with Essendon.

Re. Franklin: I still don't think The Swans did the wrong thing though.
The Premiership didn't eventuate with Franklin involved but the risk was worth the reward.

As it stands Leon Cameron & Mitch McGovern,

Saad. Jack Martin. Williams. Are also interesting options.

Carlton's aggressive rebuild may go either way?

When Roo questioned the McGovern contract he copped a lot of stick. But I thought he made some good points.

I think you can expect at least a good level of performance from Saad, Martin and Williams. Saad and Williams are already borderline All-Australian performers.

Mitch McGovern was (over)paid on potential (can't help but think there was a vain hope he'd become as good as his brother), and had racked up just 48 inconsistent AFL games by the age of 24. He's floundered and gone backwards since his final year in Adelaide.

I really think McGovern is too much of a tweener type to be consistently effective in today's game. Doesn't have the same height (5-6cm shoter) and consistent marking ability and positioning of his brother, and doesn't have the mobility and endurance and workrate to separate himself to make up for it. He'd be a good state league full forward with an old-school gameplan, but not really sure he's ever going to be a regular at AFL level going forward, let alone any sort of star or worth his reported contract figure.

5 years for Ziebell back in 2015.

He was 24 years old, coming off arguably his best season in 2015, with his whole prime ahead of him. Not really a crazy deal to make for an established player at a MOR club.

That's not what's been reported as Essendon matched and somehow wanted him back......so they say.
Who knows but one thing for sure, Saad doesn't want anything to do with Essendon.

Re. Franklin: I still don't think The Swans did the wrong thing though.
The Premiership didn't eventuate with Franklin involved but the risk was worth the reward.

Doubt you'll find many Swans fans who regret the Buddy deal at all.

Didn't end up with a premiership, but it wasn't Buddy that didn't show up to play in 2014 GF when we were probably the most talented list in the comp and wasn't really any Swans players fault in 2016, given the factors against them in that game.

As for his backended contract its almost ideal, in that he is currently eating cap whilst we are among the youngest teams in the comp, and will be out of contract when it comes time to sign those kids to new contracts...

Much like Boyd - he helped deliver a flag, it's worth the long contract even if he doesn't deliver in the later years

Yep. If the Swans had won 2014 and 2016 then the Buddy deal was worth it.

But they didnt and he wasnt.

Not many Dogs fans would say Boyd was a bad deal.

Didn’t a club just commit 4 years with a 5th as a trigger to Rory Atkins, the 2nd worst current 100 gamer in the league behind Jordan Murdoch whom coincidentally plays at the same team?

Jordan Murdoch is still on a list?

Wouldn't bother me personally. (I do it. Lot). But then again I do like Butler. Ellis. Townsend. Etc

Roo gets more leway being a legendary player too imo

Richmond don't do it, and neither do any of the well run clubs because it is bad management. Clubs are trying to attract talent, one question the player asks is how will I be treated? Roo carrying on the media sends a message that you will not be treated well at the Crows.

In a competition where all the little things count, it matters. Players want to go to Richmond because it is a well run club, good culture that respects their players, playing in finals, and if you can't crack the team they will help you get to where you want to go......

Adam Treloar's apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years for Ziebell back in 2015.
That's not even the third worst at North Melbourne. Polec's is atrocious and Dom Tyson is contracted for 2021. Thanks, Cam Joyce.

That's not even the third worst at North Melbourne. Polec's is atrocious and Dom Tyson is contracted for 2021. Thanks, Cam Joyce.

Nomination number five.

Mr. Polec.

Yep. If the Swans had won 2014 and 2016 then the Buddy deal was worth it.

But they didnt and he wasnt.

Not many Dogs fans would say Boyd was a bad deal.

Shows how fickle the AFL system is.

Objectively, Franklin has been great for the Swans (another two years is a gamble that looks like not paying off) and the Boyd deal was a disaster. But the Dogs won a flag with Boyd near BOG in the GF and the Swans have lost two GFs since Franklin got there. The Dogs dodged a bulllet with Boyd calling it quits early and not receiving his full contract value, his output for most of his career was not great.

Heaps at the Saints

Hanneberry - arguably there to set training standards and do a Boyd type of appearance in a final - 2 more years left.
Brad Hill - on stupid money and probably the Saints highest paid player. Didn't make top 10 of the B&F. Hoping for him to do better when Saints return to Marvel Stadium, although his tackling leaves a lot to be desired.
McKenzie - on a 3 year contract to 2022 - didn't play a single game in the seniors this year. Fringe backup now that Hill is here.
Webster - injured a lot. Still on contract till 2021. Has fallen behind Paton.

Armitage when he was there, had a brief purple patch and got himself a new contract for 3-4 years. Was a trade bait to Richmond till then. He signed his new contract, immediately got injured and never did anything similar for the rest of his contract. Richmond instead got other players and won premierships.

If Roo was a random media pundit sure, but now when he is a club representative. Can you imagine someone at Richmond going on the media and bagging the players who have left Richmond over the past couple of years?

Also a bit more acceptable when Richmond have got a lot right.

Bit different when the Crows stink, with some bad contracts of their own handed out, and consistently losing players. Then Ricciuto is bagging other clubs and players for contracts. Ricciuto doesn't really have much to back his opinion. I wouldn't want Glenn Archer publicly rubbishing Higgins or Brown either.

Heaps at the Saints

Hanneberry - arguably there to set training standards and do a Boyd type of appearance in a final - 2 more years left.
Brad Hill - on stupid money and probably the Saints highest paid player. Didn't make top 10 of the B&F. Hoping for him to do better when Saints return to Marvel Stadium, although his tackling leaves a lot to be desired.
McKenzie - on a 3 year contract to 2022 - didn't play a single game in the seniors this year. Fringe backup now that Hill is here.
Webster - injured a lot. Still on contract till 2021. Has fallen behind Paton.

Armitage when he was there, had a brief purple patch and got himself a new contract for 3-4 years. Was a trade bait to Richmond till then. He signed his new contract, immediately got injured and never did anything similar for the rest of his contract. Richmond instead got other players and won premierships.

If the Saints are relying on Hill to tackle they are in big trouble. He is not that sort of player and never will be.

He is cream. He needs good mids to feed him the ball and good forwards who know how to lead.

If the Saints can get those working he is worth the money.

Maybe, but In retrospect he hasn't been that good.

Fair enough, he hasn't been as good as maybe expected (I feel like Shaun Higgins kind of did for North what was expected of Ziebell over the same time period, possibly even taking his projected midfield spot, and somewhat preventing him from reaching his full potential), but he hasn't been horrible (2020 has been his only really bad year). I don't think he was on silly money either (never really heard anything either way, really), and North have managed to bring in plenty of other players as well, so I don't think it was too restrictive or poor value for money.

Rory Sloane
Tex Walker
All of the Pies current players it looks like
Whatever Marc Murphy gets paid it is too much

I agree on the Sloane one, but why Tex?

He's out of contract next year and by most reports his contract was quite modest compared to other key forwards.

Extending Simon Goodwin to 2022 in early 2019. :rolleyes:

The north Melbourne list. When you consider that all teams get roughly the same salary cap their must be some terrible contracts for teams in the bottom of the ladder. As an example grimes might be Richmonds 10 th best player so would be on similar money as say durmont who is norths 10 best player.

Jake Lever.... massive contract for a guy that has not delivered much since shifting to Melbourne

Mitch McGovern owns this thread though

Dayne Beams right up there too
Jared Polec also

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back