Analysis Worst AFL contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

The north Melbourne list. When you consider that all teams get roughly the same salary cap their must be some terrible contracts for teams in the bottom of the ladder. As an example grimes might be Richmonds 10 th best player so would be on similar money as say durmont who is norths 10 best player.

Underselling Dumont a little bit here. He was very good this season and I believe came 4th in their B&F. Stepped up with Cunnington out of the side.

Underselling Dumont a little bit here. He was very good this season and I believe came 4th in their B&F. Stepped up with Cunnington out of the side.
Only an example, would durmont be worth as Richmond or Geelong forth best say lynch and hawkins

Jordan Murdoch is still on a list?
I am legitimately shocked. I thought he was delisted ages ago. Also I just looked him up and he's only been at Gold Coast 2 years. What the *.

Bad contracts are not players like Buddy who gave years of being in the top few players in the game.

You judge the entire contract, not just the last few years of it.

Players like Treloar are clearly being overpaid but with his ability is still no where near the worst contracts in the league.

As mentioned several times i think McGovern is the current worst one. Big money and legit not even a good or average AFL player currently as it stands. Beams the only other one to mention if you still count him as a current player.

Jake Lever.... massive contract for a guy that has not delivered much since shifting to Melbourne

Mitch McGovern owns this thread though

Dayne Beams right up there too
Jared Polec also
Lever no where near it, still a good player and starting to deliver consistentely again.

The north Melbourne list. When you consider that all teams get roughly the same salary cap their must be some terrible contracts for teams in the bottom of the ladder. As an example grimes might be Richmonds 10 th best player so would be on similar money as say durmont who is norths 10 best player.
Teams have to meet salary cap requirements every year, so bottom teams who are often left with a lot of space pay some players a lot more than they were to get at other higher placing teams. If you want to criticise North, have a go at players like Polec, Tyson and Campbell

Last edited:
This is a bad take. Teams have to meet salary cap requirements every year, so bottom teams who are often left with a lot of space pay some players a lot more than they were to get at other higher placing teams. If you want to criticise North, have a go at players like Polec, Tyson and Campbell
That’s what I’m saying mate, lots of bottom teams have bad contracts because they have to pay the cap, not just north.

Much like Boyd - he helped deliver a flag, it's worth the long contract even if he doesn't deliver in the later years
This. Lynch has so far delivered us 2 flags. Basically won the prelim off his own boot last year and we wouldn't have won this year without him generally. Even if he retires right now and is paid the rest of his money, it's worth it. 2 flags bring in well more money than the few million he is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t a club just commit 4 years with a 5th as a trigger to Rory Atkins, the 2nd worst current 100 gamer in the league behind Jordan Murdoch whom coincidentally plays at the same team?
Jordan Murdoch hasn't been delisted yet?

Jordan Murdoch hasn't been delisted yet?
Not until the end of next season he won’t be.

If the Saints are relying on Hill to tackle they are in big trouble. He is not that sort of player and never will be.

He is cream. He needs good mids to feed him the ball and good forwards who know how to lead.

If the Saints can get those working he is worth the money.
So when everyone does the work for him? He is a liability one on one

Nomination number 2. Brandon Ellis.

Not injury prone and a host of positive attributes.

However can see him losing his spot in an improving suns 22.

Long term and not inexpensive contract. Richmond arugably improving in his position since moving on
600k for a player in the top 5 of their BnF should not even be in discussion for worst contract. They need experienced players and his contract is likely front-loaded

Five years for Rory Atkins is about four, maybe five more years than I'd think makes sense.

No love for
Israel Folau
&
Karmichael Hunt

But Mitch McGovern , Buddy Franklin , Kurt Tippet , Dayne Beams , Sandra Scully and his dad

No love for
Israel Folau
&
Karmichael Hunt

But Mitch McGovern , Buddy Franklin , Kurt Tippet , Dayne Beams , Sandra Scully and his dad
Pretty sure that Karmichael boosted interest in the Suns at initiation.
His negative influence off field obviously had major ramifications for the club but don't think the concept was a bad one.

Extending Simon Goodwin to 2022 in early 2019. :rolleyes:
Richo biding his time...

Rory Sloane.

The fact a club favourite needed to be offered such a rediculously long contract otherwise he'd potentially have moved was terrible on the Club and in particular him.

The Crows signed a bunch of bad ones around that time, which obviously made it look worse when they chose not to offer lesser for younger players later on.

Nomination three. Tom Lynch.

Had initial success but heavy backend and unknown how he will be pullings up by the season of '25

Don't think it matters at all, one he has delivered and that is what you pay players for. Two, by the time the backend kicks in your top guys will be gone or on much smaller contracts and you will be looking around for someone to pay to hit the cap floor. Been worth every cent for Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back