Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the talk last year that St Kilda had shown interest - do we know how serious that was & if it even made it to the discussion table or was it more in the media than anything else? Whether he'd find things easier at another club is unknown, but it's clear there's no easy path to being best 22

I'm not sure on his junior career, but being that bigger bodied midfielder he may have found himself closer to the top of selection throughout junior career and used to playing in the guts every week

It's interesting that read over articles from prior to the 2017 draft & see what they say about him versus where we picked him up & what we have seen from him over the past 3 seasons. At one stage touted as a potential top 10 pick, but slipped to 36

I found the Footyology one quite interesting because they reference his endurance & versatility as strengths, but those are two areas that have question marks over them from what he's shown at senior level

1 - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/d84e3b45bbe34a4ceb4be014aa54ddb8

2 - https://footyology.com.au/footyologys-draft-rankings-no-17-charlie-constable/
You do amazing stuff. Thank you for all the info, across a whole bunch of threads.

Personally l believe the lack of endurance factor is a false one like mud that sticks.
It's normal that any new play gets a lesser percentage of game time in senior games that's nothing to do with his endurance or lack of it
That he got 21 disposals off 65% game time should raise the alarm as to how good could this guy could be!

but that disregards, if his aerobic ability is the cause, his being able to get back into the defensive setup, thereby leaving holes that the opposition can exploit.

It’s not everything, but the club posted a pic last year of the players down at the beach and obviously the boys had the rigs out. Charlie genuinely has the rig of a skinny-fat 15 year old boy, seriously he might even have Stevie J covered in the skin-folds department. Nothing wrong with that body if you're just a regular Joe from accounting, but this is an elite AFL player we're taking about.

Again it’s not everything. Dane Swan had a gut and was a champion, GAJ is arguably the GOAT and was never rock-hard fit. However it doesn’t bode well for his professionalism which is obviously what’s being questioned with his inability to improve his running ability.

Imo Charlie needs to have a long hard look at himself and think "Am I really doing everything I can here?" whether that be diet, training, soaking up the knowledge of the leaders at the club etc etc.

Don't want to be too judgemental but from what the club has said and what his lack of improvement suggests is that he's doing none of the above. Fix that and maybe you'll be in the team, Charlie.

Strap him to Joel or even Cooper Stephens for the pre season and see where it gets him. Immediate improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
having J. Corey here for just that purpose would have been nice, but that other Joel will have to do :)

The lack of interest from other clubs might be exactly what he needs. The denial of an easy path of getting gifted games at another club, might make him realise he will get delisted, possibly next year, if he doesn’t put the work in to better himself where he is. He’d want to work damn hard over the off-season, or it’s probably all over for him.

He probably thinks he could go to another club, cruise by with minimal effort, and still get games. The lack of interest in him should be a wake up call that it’s not going to be that easy.

If he doesn’t turn up after the christmas break with another 5kg on his frame, then you know he’s probably done.

and another 5km in his legs, we could have a playa' :thumbsu:

and another 5km in his legs, we could have a playa' :thumbsu:

Anyone who can get the ball 21 times in 65% of gametime must be doing something very right, (that's just my opinion fwiw) l remember an article where he and Angus Brayshaw were supposed to be doing 100x100's for aerobic power and recovery strength.
That may have been in blocks of 10/20, with 3 min recovery between or however they managed that many, but hey, if this is so do you reckon he can't improvehis endurance?
If he's been doing stuff like that won't take him long to get back to 1st class levels.
It's just a shame he couldn't show us this year what he could do, it sounds like he was bitterly disappointed he wasn't given that chance, l like confident youngsters that believe that they're good enough and say so.
I think we need another look before we cut him to another club.

Anyone who can get the ball 21 times in 65% of gametime must be doing something very right, (that's just my opinion fwiw) l remember an article where he and Angus Brayshaw were supposed to be doing 100x100's for aerobic power and recovery strength.
That may have been in blocks of 10/20, with 3 min recovery between or however they managed that many, but hey, if this is so do you reckon he can't improvehis endurance?
If he's been doing stuff like that won't take him long to get back to 1st class levels.
It's just a shame he couldn't show us this year what he could do, it sounds like he was bitterly disappointed he wasn't given that chance, l like confident youngsters that believe that they're good enough and say so.
I think we need another look before we cut him to another club.

Well "we" may need another look at him, but the MC and coaching staff have had plenty of opportunity to both look at him and assess him, and apparently appear only marginally impressed with what he's got to offer.

The total lack of interest up to now from any other club is something that just cant be swept under the carpet.

The club has told CC to feel free to explore other options....hardly a warm and fuzzy.

Yeah did, then l heard they wanted him to stay, it's a bit of a mystery, so yeah you're right but l don't know the latest.
His potential is pretty awesome we don't need to throw away a young now maturing high possession tall mid.

Yeah did, then l heard they wanted him to stay, it's a bit of a mystery, so yeah you're right but l don't know the latest.
His potential is pretty awesome we don't need to throw away a young now maturing high possession tall mid.

Nah...me either. Seems its on silence right now.

I guess we find out soon enough.

Since when has the club chilled on CC, l think you're reading to much BF.

Since they dropped him. And were cool with him looking at outside offers.

He’s contracted for next year. They can’t exactly say “we don’t want you, but unfortunately we are stuck with you”.

They have to be diplomatic about it. But in saying all this i hope me knuckles down real hard, puts some muscle on and trains the house down working to get back in.

Since they dropped him. And were cool with him looking at outside offers.

He’s contracted for next year. They can’t exactly say “we don’t want you, but unfortunately we are stuck with you”.

They have to be diplomatic about it. But in saying all this i hope me knuckles down real hard, puts some muscle on and trains the house down working to get back in.

Any young player who looks like he may possibly be a 30 possession senior is worth preserving with especially after this non VFL year which stiffled opportunities to impress the MC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any young player who looks like he may possibly be a 30 possession senior is worth preserving with especially after this non VFL year which stiffled opportunities to impress the MC.
list sizes are the issue, and clubs are being ruthless
my gut feel is that he needs to play in WA or SA, reload, and come back ala Menengola

list sizes are the issue, and clubs are being ruthless
my gut feel is that he needs to play in WA or SA, reload, and come back ala Menengola

Why would you with a guy who won a rising star in his first couple of games?
We want to strengthen our club don't we?

He can find the ball ok. I just don’t know if he is good enough in other areas of his game to become more than one dimensional.

Can’t say im an expert on what his weaknesses are though. The club is obviously aware of his deficiencies.

He was a bit unluckily this year, Getting concussed twice in the 2nd half of the year when we were resting Selwood. Our on ball group was excellent this year, we were screaming out for quality on the flanks which isn't his go.

If he does stay on our list next year I hope he spends the whole summer chasing after Miers. Being able to stay on the ground in the middle for 85% game time would be a great contrast and complement most of our burst style mids.

That being said, he literally has zero trade value. a pick a the end of the national or a replacement mature aged recruit would be easily expected to our perform him, and at least they'd be on a base wage. No wonder the club would be happy to get him off the books.
1604908870268.png

He can find the ball ok. I just don’t know if he is good enough in other areas of his game to become more than one dimensional.

Can’t say im an expert on what his weaknesses are though. The club is obviously aware of his deficiencies.

Kicked a couple in his few games one at least 50+mtrs plus.
We'll so see what goes but obviously l like him.

Kicked a couple in his few games one at least 50+mtrs plus.
We'll so see what goes but obviously l like him.
Agree. Think he has a lot of upside. Might be a victim of the proposed list restrictions and fitting in the likes of Jezza salary cap wise.

The leaking of younger talent for more oldies is of concern. And I was really looking forward to SW getting an early crack at the draft and seeing that talent develop. Oh well!

Agree. Think he has a lot of upside. Might be a victim of the proposed list restrictions and fitting in the likes of Jezza salary cap wise.

The leaking of younger talent for more oldies is of concern. And I was really looking forward to SW getting an early crack at the draft and seeing that talent develop. Oh well!

We'll still get 1 1st rounder by the looks so will be interesting which one that may be.
Who would you like with that one if we land Jezz with the other 2 1st rounders?

We'll still get 1 1st rounder by the looks so will be interesting which one that may be.
Who would you like with that one if we land Jezz with the other 2 1st rounders?
I bow to those better informed here on the available young talent. Turbocat and Pure_Ownage for example. Seems to be a focus on short-termism with the inclusion of the likes of Smith and Higgins. It's reassuring that those inside the camp get it right more often than not.

I bow to those better informed here on the available young talent. Turbocat and Pure_Ownage for example. Seems to be a focus on short-termism with the inclusion of the likes of Smith and Higgins. It's reassuring that those inside the camp get it right more often than not.

Normally l study it all up but not this year, l'll just check in with those guys too.
Ollie Henry sounds interesting, l was wondering if we might get him with our 2nd pick all the same.
Could roll the dice go for best available and mark Ollie for next best or will he go earlier???

If its a pick around 15-20 names like eddie ford, archie perkins, nathan o'driscoll, nik cox and heath chapman and henry if he is there.

If we trade up to 6 as mooted then i would hope for either tilthorpe, tanner bruhn or grainger-barass.

If its a pick around 15-20 names like eddie ford, archie perkins, nathan o'driscoll, nik cox and heath chapman and henry if he is there.

If we trade up to 6 as mooted then i would hope for either tilthorpe, tanner bruhn or grainger-barass.
Thanks PO. Understand it'll be quite a challenge this year due to COVID and the lack of game time exposure. I've been looking forward to seeing what SW could do with 3 1st rounders. Not going to happen as things have turned out it seems.

Shifter Sheehan's top prospects.

Thanks PO. Understand it'll be quite a challenge this year due to COVID and the lack of game time exposure. I've been looking forward to seeing what SW could do with 3 1st rounders. Not going to happen as things have turned out it seems.

Shifter Sheehan's top prospects.

Its potentially a year for some surprise names called early.. players that recruiters like well may like have to judge how much they would have improved if they played. Look at whe McDonald was rated 12 months ago.... so in other words one could mention several that have been mentioned , and who we draft mat depend on who we bring in... and who slips thru. If one looks at Henderson only just hanging in there..and Blitz is not young... id not be surprise if we look at anotehr tall back like we did with SDek. So someone like Cox ..who seems to be a Blitz type player of one of that ilk. If we trade about picks then we will fall into the unloved and under valued..and perhaps even a young ruck..not such a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back