Traded Peter Wright [Traded to Essendon for 2021 R4 pick]

Who won this trade?

• Gold Coast

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He averages over a goal a game for his career. Across 22 games 30 goals is not a high number.
If you look at his career, he's played the equivalent of 3 full seasons of an average of 29 goals a season.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/P/Peter_Wright.html .
he may perform better at a Better club ? but even if he doesnt Essendon got him rather cheap but by the time his contract ends the other forwards should have come through by then
we don't really have any. Unless one of the rucks (Bryan/Crauford) come on.
Jones from all reports is more your Gunston type than a CHF/FF.

Eyre might be one. Has tested strong but still raw.

We'd be earmarking Wright (FF), Stewart (CHF), Stringer (3rd tall) as our starting line up for some time.
Not unhappy though. Just need someone who isn't Tippa to play FF (a bit of a change in gameplan from Essendon of the last 10 years)

Good get, we need a big body

Certainly some concerns around his impact as a KPF...seems a bit like Schache/Gorringe in that he has nice skills but isn't that aggressive, crash packs or take contested marks...which I assume is why his value is so low.

Still, for a 4th round pick and with GC paying some salary it's well worth the punt for Essendon and a good get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly some concerns around his impact as a KPF...seems a bit like Schache/Gorringe in that he has nice skills but isn't that aggressive, crash packs or take contested marks...which I assume is why his value is so low.

Still, for a 4th round pick and with GC paying some salary it's well worth the punt for Essendon and a good get.

Hmm Shache is sort of the opposite to Wright in the sense that he is a smart footballer but doesn’t seem to have the athleticism to beat AFL standard defenders. Whereas Wright looks lost out there at times and doesn’t use his size well enough.

Gorringe isn’t a bad comp but Wright has already far exceeded his career output

I guess the potential saving grace for Wright is if he doesn’t work out as a forward and his choice becomes no AFL career or ruck then he has the size and athleticism to provide value there.

Back