Insightful Media Coverage

MaxHunt

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Charlton FC
Tom Percy QC - (pg 143) getting stuck into VFL about Willies case being extraordinarily slow to be heard.

Murder trials average 12-18 months to be heard.
Junior prosecutor could have put Willies case together in week at outside.
Etc etc etc.

Then there was an article by Ryan Daniels (pg 181) comparing Willies charge & suspension with De Goey who has continued to play on despite being charged with criminal offence.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Willie has accepted some guilt/made a mistake though on this I thought?

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Article from the Age by Michael Gleeson

Free agency a disaster of the AFL's making

Jeremy Cameron wanting to go to Geelong is a disaster for the AFL. Worse, it is a disaster of the AFL's making.
This is not a coronavirus-hubs-financial Armageddon scale disaster for the AFL, the like of which we have already witnessed this year, but it is a disaster nonetheless.

Firstly, Cameron wanting to leave one of the AFL's shiny new clubs pushes the Giants further from premiership contention after a disappointing fall away year this year when they missed the finals. Losing their best player and full-forward makes them a speculative choice at best for next year.
But that is not the worst of it.

Cameron is the biggest free agent in the market this year. He is a bigger player than fellow free agent Joe Daniher. He wants to leave to go to one of the two best teams of the year, possibly the best team of the year depending on what happens on Saturday night.

Geelong will play the grand final against Richmond where Tom Lynch will play at full-forward. Lynch left the league's other expansion club, the Suns, as a free agent and former captain to move to the club that had a year earlier won a flag.
The two best teams this year are the recipient clubs of the best, most recent free agents to move clubs.
The other player to tell his club this year that he wants out as a free agent, and a player who but for injury is on a Cameron scale of importance and ability, is Daniher. Which club does Daniher want to go to? Preliminary finalist Brisbane.
So the two biggest name free agents this year want to go to two of the best four teams.

The next best free agent to move clubs went to a recent premier, won a premiership the next year and is now in the grand final again. Three of the best free agents have either already gone or want to go to three of the best four teams in the AFL. And those top teams can afford them in their salary cap.
So how is equalisation working out for you?

Before Lynch, the last time the best free agent in the country left a club and went to a recent premier the AFL punished the new club and banned them from trading. That was when Buddy Franklin decamped from the Hawks and pulled the old switcheroo on the Giants and landed at the Swans.

After that there were recriminations for the Swans and COLA (cost of living allowance) was sacked as the AFL rampaged around, insisting this was not how they wanted free agency to work.

But this is exactly how free agency works.
The best players do not choose to go to the worst clubs.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Jeremy Cameron wanting to go to Geelong is a disaster for the AFL. Worse, it is a disaster of the AFL's making.
This is not a coronavirus-hubs-financial Armageddon scale disaster for the AFL, the like of which we have already witnessed this year, but it is a disaster nonetheless.

Firstly, Cameron wanting to leave one of the AFL's shiny new clubs pushes the Giants further from premiership contention after a disappointing fall away year this year when they missed the finals. Losing their best player and full-forward makes them a speculative choice at best for next year.

Cameron is the biggest free agent in the market this year. He is a bigger player than fellow free agent Joe Daniher. He wants to leave to go to one of the two best teams of the year, possibly the best team of the year depending on what happens on Saturday night.

Geelong will play the grand final against Richmond where Tom Lynch will play at full-forward. Lynch left the league's other expansion club, the Suns, as a free agent and former captain to move to the club that had a year earlier won a flag.
The two best teams this year are the recipient clubs of the best, most recent free agents to move clubs.
The other player to tell his club this year that he wants out as a free agent, and a player who but for injury is on a Cameron scale of importance and ability, is Daniher. Which club does Daniher want to go to? Preliminary finalist Brisbane.
So the two biggest name free agents this year want to go to two of the best four teams.

The next best free agent to move clubs went to a recent premier, won a premiership the next year and is now in the grand final again. Three of the best free agents have either already gone or want to go to three of the best four teams in the AFL. And those top teams can afford them in their salary cap.

Before Lynch, the last time the best free agent in the country left a club and went to a recent premier the AFL punished the new club and banned them from trading. That was when Buddy Franklin decamped from the Hawks and pulled the old switcheroo on the Giants and landed at the Swans.

After that there were recriminations for the Swans and COLA (cost of living allowance) was sacked as the AFL rampaged around, insisting this was not how they wanted free agency to work.

The Matthew Effect in action.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Ah yes, but it’s ok if they go to Vic clubs, just not the other way around. ;)

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Liam Ryan most watchable AFL player according to Kane Cornes.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn't mind it apart from the Witherden crap.

Gary Buckenara analyses West Coast’s list after the 2020 season

West Coast has one of the best lists in the competition and despite not winning this year’s premiership will enter 2021 as my flag favourites.
But talent alone doesn’t win flags and it doesn’t guarantee success. It requires a huge amount of hard work, dedication, selflessness and team work to bring it all together and the Eagles discovered that the hard way this season.
While the club and the players have done a mighty job since 2018 to bring all those characteristics together to win a premiership three years ago, having one of the best lists on paper doesn’t mean anything on game day.

Coach Adam Simpson would be regretting his team’s inability to adapt to hub life. They failed miserably and it ultimately cost them the opportunity to win another premiership with this group. What a waste of a year. The Eagles should never have been in an elimination final – they should have been playing a qualifying final with the opportunity to win straight through to a prelim. The early-season loss to Gold Coast (by a whopping 44 points) as well as thumping losses to Brisbane (30 points) and Port Adelaide (48) ultimately cost them because their percentage (117.0) was the difference between finishing fourth compared to fifth. Richmond finished two points clear in third – so how costly is that Suns loss now.
West Coast has seven A-grade players, led by Nic Naitanui, Jeremy McGovern and Elliot Yeo (whose hardness they desperately missed in the elimination final against Collingwood), 11 B-graders and six developing players aged 21 or under that I believe will develop into A or B-graders. It’s a real credit to the list management and recruiting teams who have put together such a strong list. This group should have at least made a preliminary final. That’s where those four aspects – hard work, dedication, selflessness and team work – come into play.

Why did they fail so miserably to adapt to hub life, travel and the different circumstances and challenges the COVID-19 pandemic presented? Is it a lack of mental toughness? Does this group lack a killer instinct? Were they as dedicated as they could be in the hub compared to when they were at home in Perth? Can they cope with the pressure of being the hunted every week, where opposition teams throw everything at you because they want a big scalp?
While there are some hard questions that need answering and some off-season soul-searching to be done, the quality of this list means West Coast is my premiership favourite for 2021.

LIST NEEDS
The Eagles have a very well-balanced list with a strong defence, elite midfield and very dangerous four-pronged forward line with Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Oscar Allen and Liam Ryan. That means they can continue to add young talent to develop alongside these terrific players and target a free agent or two along the way to shore up needs that present.
What the Eagles have done extremely well is plan for the future by drafting and getting games into players such as Allen, Josh Rotham, Jarrod Brander and Jake Waterman and giving more responsibility to Liam Duggan, Tom Cole and Ryan who will take over from the likes of Kennedy (33), Shannon Hurn (33), Lewis Jetta (31) and the newly-retired Will Schofield.

TRADE TARGETS
The Eagles are keen to secure Alex Witherden from Brisbane who’d be a brilliant acquisition if they can get it done. I rate Witherden really highly and despite falling out of favour this year, he’d be on my list of untouchables at the Lions. He’s an elite kick off halfback and given the way West Coast play, he’d fit right in. He has two years to run on his contract, so if the Eagles are to get him in a trade they’ll need to pay up. I’d have no hesitation offering next year’s first-round pick but I think the Lions would want more. Jarrod Cameron is an exciting young player and an untouchable in my book at the Eagles, but if they could trade Cameron and their first pick next year to get Witherden, given they just brought in another small forward in Zac Langdon from GWS, then I’d do the deal. Not sure how many senior opportunities Cameron will get and I’m sure he’d love to play with his brother Charlie at Brisbane.

UNTOUCHABLES
Kelly, Kennedy, Ryan, Hurn, Allen, Brander, Rotham, Cole, Duggan, McGovern, Naitanui, Darling, Yeo, Tom Barrass, Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Jamie Cripps, Dom Sheed, Brad Sheppard, Brayden Ainsworth, Jarrod Cameron, Jack Redden and Xavier O’Neill.

TRADE BAIT
Do they need both Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey on the list? Given other clubs are desperate for ruckmen I’d shop both players to see if any club is willing to offer a late second-round or early third-round pick. Experienced ruckmen have currency even if they haven’t played regularly. It appears the Eagles intend to develop Bailey Williams to assist and eventually take over from Naitanui.

RATING THE LIST
A-grade: Gaff, Kelly, Kennedy, McGovern, Naitanui, Shuey, Yeo
B: Barrass, Cole, Cripps, Darling, Duggan, Hurn, Jetta, Redden, Ryan, Sheed, Sheppard
C: Ah Chee, Hickey, Hutchings, Nelson, Rioli, Rotham, Vardy, Venables, Waterman
Developing (with A-B grade potential): Ainsworth, Allen, Brander, Cameron, X. O’Neill, Petruccelle
Developing: Edwards, Foley, Jamieson, Johnson, Jones, Williams
What the ratings mean:
A-grade: Elite player on any AFL list
B: Top 10-18 player on most lists
C: An 18-30 player on a list
Developing: Aged 21 or under

CRYSTAL BALL
The Eagles will be the team to beat next year given the quality and depth of their list and should create a powerful legacy by winning multiple premierships from 2021-2025 to add to that 2018 flag. But nothing in football is guaranteed and West Coast know this better than most clubs, given it had a list in the 1990s that should have won more premierships than it did. Everything needs to go right, but it’s ultimately up to the playing group to come together and make individual and team sacrifices to achieve the ultimate success.

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

West Coast has one of the best lists in the competition and despite not winning this year’s premiership will enter 2021 as my flag favourites.
But talent alone doesn’t win flags and it doesn’t guarantee success. It requires a huge amount of hard work, dedication, selflessness and team work to bring it all together and the Eagles discovered that the hard way this season.
While the club and the players have done a mighty job since 2018 to bring all those characteristics together to win a premiership three years ago, having one of the best lists on paper doesn’t mean anything on game day.

Coach Adam Simpson would be regretting his team’s inability to adapt to hub life. They failed miserably and it ultimately cost them the opportunity to win another premiership with this group. What a waste of a year. The Eagles should never have been in an elimination final – they should have been playing a qualifying final with the opportunity to win straight through to a prelim. The early-season loss to Gold Coast (by a whopping 44 points) as well as thumping losses to Brisbane (30 points) and Port Adelaide (48) ultimately cost them because their percentage (117.0) was the difference between finishing fourth compared to fifth. Richmond finished two points clear in third – so how costly is that Suns loss now.
West Coast has seven A-grade players, led by Nic Naitanui, Jeremy McGovern and Elliot Yeo (whose hardness they desperately missed in the elimination final against Collingwood), 11 B-graders and six developing players aged 21 or under that I believe will develop into A or B-graders. It’s a real credit to the list management and recruiting teams who have put together such a strong list. This group should have at least made a preliminary final. That’s where those four aspects – hard work, dedication, selflessness and team work – come into play.

Why did they fail so miserably to adapt to hub life, travel and the different circumstances and challenges the COVID-19 pandemic presented? Is it a lack of mental toughness? Does this group lack a killer instinct? Were they as dedicated as they could be in the hub compared to when they were at home in Perth? Can they cope with the pressure of being the hunted every week, where opposition teams throw everything at you because they want a big scalp?
While there are some hard questions that need answering and some off-season soul-searching to be done, the quality of this list means West Coast is my premiership favourite for 2021.

LIST NEEDS
The Eagles have a very well-balanced list with a strong defence, elite midfield and very dangerous four-pronged forward line with Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Oscar Allen and Liam Ryan. That means they can continue to add young talent to develop alongside these terrific players and target a free agent or two along the way to shore up needs that present.
What the Eagles have done extremely well is plan for the future by drafting and getting games into players such as Allen, Josh Rotham, Jarrod Brander and Jake Waterman and giving more responsibility to Liam Duggan, Tom Cole and Ryan who will take over from the likes of Kennedy (33), Shannon Hurn (33), Lewis Jetta (31) and the newly-retired Will Schofield.

TRADE TARGETS
The Eagles are keen to secure Alex Witherden from Brisbane who’d be a brilliant acquisition if they can get it done. I rate Witherden really highly and despite falling out of favour this year, he’d be on my list of untouchables at the Lions. He’s an elite kick off halfback and given the way West Coast play, he’d fit right in. He has two years to run on his contract, so if the Eagles are to get him in a trade they’ll need to pay up. I’d have no hesitation offering next year’s first-round pick but I think the Lions would want more. Jarrod Cameron is an exciting young player and an untouchable in my book at the Eagles, but if they could trade Cameron and their first pick next year to get Witherden, given they just brought in another small forward in Zac Langdon from GWS, then I’d do the deal. Not sure how many senior opportunities Cameron will get and I’m sure he’d love to play with his brother Charlie at Brisbane.

UNTOUCHABLES
Kelly, Kennedy, Ryan, Hurn, Allen, Brander, Rotham, Cole, Duggan, McGovern, Naitanui, Darling, Yeo, Tom Barrass, Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Jamie Cripps, Dom Sheed, Brad Sheppard, Brayden Ainsworth, Jarrod Cameron, Jack Redden and Xavier O’Neill.

TRADE BAIT
Do they need both Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey on the list? Given other clubs are desperate for ruckmen I’d shop both players to see if any club is willing to offer a late second-round or early third-round pick. Experienced ruckmen have currency even if they haven’t played regularly. It appears the Eagles intend to develop Bailey Williams to assist and eventually take over from Naitanui.

RATING THE LIST
B: Barrass, Cole, Cripps, Darling, Duggan, Hurn, Jetta, Redden, Ryan, Sheed, Sheppard
Developing (with A-B grade potential): Ainsworth, Allen, Brander, Cameron, X. O’Neill, Petruccelle
What the ratings mean:

CRYSTAL BALL
The Eagles will be the team to beat next year given the quality and depth of their list and should create a powerful legacy by winning multiple premierships from 2021-2025 to add to that 2018 flag. But nothing in football is guaranteed and West Coast know this better than most clubs, given it had a list in the 1990s that should have won more premierships than it did. Everything needs to go right, but it’s ultimately up to the playing group to come together and make individual and team sacrifices to achieve the ultimate success.
I'd swap Kennedy and Darling's spots, Ryan to be A grade by the eoy. Decent read apart from J.Cameron & future 1st for Witherden

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors

Agree with Kane Cornes for once

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Agree with Kane Cornes for once

TBH not having nicnat on the list means i can't agree with any of it.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Old mate Sliding Door has backflipped on ‘they can’t do s**t because Tim Kelly’ to an optimistic (and probably slightly OTT) assessment of our trading period.

Not sure what he means by ‘midfield deficiencies’ - the article he links to only describes him as a defender and talks about his kicking.

I’ll go out on a limb and say Witherden plays minimal midfield next year...

F101C97F-B88D-408E-A6DE-4F9F3AA909D8.jpeg

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Old mate Sliding Door has backflipped on ‘they can’t do sh*t because Tim Kelly’ to an optimistic (and probably slightly OTT) assessment of our trading period.

Not sure what he means by ‘midfield deficiencies’ - the article he links to only describes him as a defender and talks about his kicking.

View attachment 1010860
It's like he's been told he has to give us a bit of praise and is doing so through gritted teeth.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Old mate Sliding Door has backflipped on ‘they can’t do sh*t because Tim Kelly’ to an optimistic (and probably slightly OTT) assessment of our trading period.

View attachment 1010860
I think he meant if west coast gets their midfield sorted. Either way, terrible editing

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

LIST NEEDS

TRADE TARGETS

UNTOUCHABLES

TRADE BAIT

RATING THE LIST
What the ratings mean:

CRYSTAL BALL
That was a good read!
Interesting that he has Ainsworth in the 'Untouchables' list?...and rating Ainsworth and Petrucelle as A-B grade potential? Some Eagles fans would disagree.

The first hub period was referred to in simplistic terms I felt, there were a few more complexities involved. But yes, they did live to regret those missed opportunities, tiny margins in percentage, points, just shaved out of the top 4. A couple of gettable missed set shots in the Pies final and just losing by a point, summed up our season. Yeo was probably the difference.

Big raps to say we 'should' win multiple premierships from '21-25?
For the windows of Shuey, NN, JK, Hurn it has to be '21?
With an imminent vaccine looking to change the '21 covid season, we might get a better shot at a flag, but then so will everyone else.

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Anyone accessed the Mongrel Punt article "Beautiful Lies and Ugly Truths - West Coast"?

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Liam Ryan most watchable AFL player according to Kane Cornes.

Don't tell richmond flogs, they'll go absolutely nuts that it's not dustbin at number 1

Back