Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Burns is in strife you’d think. Pucovski will be very hard to leave out. It’s an exciting time for Australian cricket where Labuschagne, Head and Pucovski are all earning their spots as young batsmen, rather than being gifted games out of hope. With those three at such young ages and Smith having 5 plus years to come, our batting stocks are looking healthy for the first time in a long time.

Green obviously is coming with momentum, but I think Wade probably holds his spot.

Sounds like they'll have a squad of 17 for the tests almost like an Ashes Squad. I'd go with:

Warner
Pucovski
Marnus
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

Pattinson
Neser
Swepson
Green
Burns
Another Batsman (Smarsh/Henriques for experience perhaps. Would have gone with Maddinson if he'd been able to have more of a hit)

Wade's your backup keeper in case Paine goes down. They may want Carey in the squad though, he'd take the spot of the extra batsman.

Burns is in strife you’d think. Pucovski will be very hard to leave out. It’s an exciting time for Australian cricket where Labuschagne, Head and Pucovski are all earning their spots as young batsmen, rather than being gifted games out of hope. With those three at such young ages and Smith having 5 plus years to come, our batting stocks are looking healthy for the first time in a long time.

Green obviously is coming with momentum, but I think Wade probably holds his spot.

Is Warner's spot secure in the test team.I hope he can play some shield games before the 1st test team is selected.

Sounds like they'll have a squad of 17 for the tests almost like an Ashes Squad. I'd go with:

Warner
Pucovski
Marnus
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

Pattinson
Neser
Swepson
Green
Burns
Another Batsman (Smarsh/Henriques for experience perhaps. Would have gone with Maddinson if he'd been able to have more of a hit)

Wade's your backup keeper in case Paine goes down. They may want Carey in the squad though, he'd take the spot of the extra batsman.
I reckon Maddinson would be the man as he can bat anywhere in the order. Otherwise agree.

Warner
Pucovski
Labushagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Swepson
Burns
Green
Pattinson

Confident with this line up. Nailed the first XI for last years first ashes test when I know many didn't think that Siddle and Wade would be selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you similarly outraged by the term bowler, or do you prefer bowlsman?
As per the scoreboards at all grounds, the term is bowler. If you go with "batter" then go the whole hog and call bowlers "pitchers".

You strike me as the type of person that welcomes newspeak terms such as -
Catch instead of mark
Deeefence instead of defence, and
Quarterback instead of half back flankers
- and other such American terms which some commentators are now using instead of those which have served our indigenous football game well for some 150 years.

Correct?

Is it a big thing for the birth of a children for parents in their native home country?

There may be other symbolic reasons for his decision, but a lazy search of the Wiki does suggest possible medium-term citizenship issues if the child is not born in India:

"Citizenship by Descent[edit]
Persons born outside India on or after 26 January 1950 but before 10 December 1992 are citizens of India by descent if their father was a citizen of India at the time of their birth.

Persons born outside India on or after 10 December 1992 are considered citizens of India if either of their parents is a citizen of India at the time of their birth.

From 3 December 2004 onwards, persons born outside of India shall not be considered citizens of India unless their birth is registered at an Indian diplomatic mission within one year of the date of birth. In certain circumstances it is possible to register after one year with the permission of the Central Government. The application for registration of the birth of a child must be made to an Indian diplomatic mission and must be accompanied by an undertaking in writing from the parents of the child that he or she does not hold the passport of another country.[9]"

There may be other symbolic reasons for his decision, but a lazy search of the Wiki does suggest possible medium-term citizenship issues if the child is not born in India:

"Citizenship by Descent[edit]
Persons born outside India on or after 26 January 1950 but before 10 December 1992 are citizens of India by descent if their father was a citizen of India at the time of their birth.

Persons born outside India on or after 10 December 1992 are considered citizens of India if either of their parents is a citizen of India at the time of their birth.

From 3 December 2004 onwards, persons born outside of India shall not be considered citizens of India unless their birth is registered at an Indian diplomatic mission within one year of the date of birth. In certain circumstances it is possible to register after one year with the permission of the Central Government. The application for registration of the birth of a child must be made to an Indian diplomatic mission and must be accompanied by an undertaking in writing from the parents of the child that he or she does not hold the passport of another country.[9]"

Interesting, but I think Virat Kohli’s first born is getting Indian citizenship.

As per the scoreboards at all grounds, the term is bowler. If you go with "batter" then go the whole hog and call bowlers "pitchers".

You strike me as the type of person that welcomes newspeak terms such as -
Catch instead of mark
Deeefence instead of defence, and
Quarterback instead of half back flankers
- and other such American terms which some commentators are now using instead of those which have served our indigenous football game well for some 150 years.

Correct?
Take it up with Cricket Australia

batter.JPG

What is wrong with Peirson's keeping.

I am aware he was talking about Inglis, and rightly so.

As for Batsmen that keep, it worked well with Gilchrist.
You obviously haven't seen him keep too often. He's closer to Wade than Gilly with the gloves. And let's get one thing straight, Gilly was still an excellent keeper.

You obviously haven't seen him keep too often. He's closer to Wade than Gilly with the gloves. And let's get one thing straight, Gilly was still an excellent keeper.
Never said Gilly wasn't an excellent keeper. Lets get that quite clear.

Admittedly I haven't seen a huge amount of Peirsons keeping, only what I see at BBL, which isn't a great sample size.

There have been other good batsman that kept as well i.e. Sangakarra, McCallum, De Kock

Never said Gilly wasn't an excellent keeper. Lets get that quite clear.

Admittedly I haven't seen a huge amount of Peirsons keeping, only what I see at BBL, which isn't a great sample size.

There have been other good batsman that kept as well i.e. Sangakarra, McCallum, De Kock
And he's an inferior keeper to all of them.

Seriously, Peirson would be the bottom of the chain right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back