VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Last edited:

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
With reduced list sizes I hope we can get some good quality VFL players so we can be a top side next year. I think it's important that our VFL side goes deep into finals

With reduced list sizes I hope we can get some good quality VFL players so we can be a top side next year. I think it's important that our VFL side goes deep into finals
Having a bit of insight into the rule changes, I wouldn't get your hopes up

The AFL will wait until after its grand final before unveiling details of the remodelled VFL for 2021.
The league sent licence offers to clubs last Friday and with them a request to hold off on making any major announcements.

The clubs must now confirm their participation in a competition that will take in clubs from Victoria, NSW and Queensland.

But the AFL confirmed yesterday that all the Victorian stand-alone clubs had been offered licences, including the Northern Bullants, who had been aligned with Carlton as the Northern Blues.

The AFL also confirmed that NEAFL affiliates Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS, Southport, Aspley and Sydney University had been invited to a competition that will be the largest second-tier league in the country.

Up to 20 clubs could participitate: the AFL stand-alones, VFL stand-alones, AFL-VFL aligned and former NEAFL clubs.

Salary caps have been ticked off: $100,000 for the AFL stand-alone and aligned clubs, and $200,000 for the other stand-alone clubs.

A name change remains a possibility given that three states will be represented in the league.

In its communication to clubs the AFL is referring to it as the “VFL/East Coast Competition’’.

It’s believed the competition will run for 16 rounds and kick off in mid to late-April, depending on COVID-19 restrictions.

Officials will try to limit travel to two to three trips per clubs, with teams preferably flying in and flying out on the same day.

Meanwhile the zones proposed by the AFL for the Victorian clubs are likely to be tweaked before they are introduced.

They are seen as a way of strengthening the clubs’ ties with the NAB League teams and promoting the pathway between the under-age league and the VFL.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL, VFL/East Coast Competition. That’s the best they can think of?

The VFL will expand to 22 teams and three states from next year as it absorbs six clubs from the wound-up NEAFL.
The AFL this afternoon confirmed that Southport and Aspley would join AFL affiliates Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Greater Western Sydney in becoming part of the Victorian state league.

There will be 16 rounds in a season contested by stand-alones from the AFL, VFL and former NEAFL teams, as well as aligned sides Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons and Sandringham.

The season will kick off in April.

The salary cap has been set at $200,000 for stand-alone clubs and $100,000 for the AFL and aligned clubs.

No clubs will pay licence fees and the AFL will subsidise all approved club travel for interstate matches.

A date for pre-season training “will be advised in due course’’, the AFL said.

VFL IN 2021

Stand-alone:
Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown

Stand-alone AFL clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans

Aligned clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons

The announcement also confirmed the return to stand-alone status of historic club Northern Bullants, which had been operating as the Northern Blues in an alignment with Carlton.

Carlton ended it suddenly in March, prompting Northern president Steve Papal to declare his club would fold.

But it has reclaimed the famous Bullants logo, set up a strong board that includes former AFL Victorian chairman Bob Tregear and re-emerged as an independent.

Former Collingwood star Josh Fraser will coach the Ants.

The AFL made no announcement about a name change for the VFL, but it’s on the agenda.

“The name of the competition will be announced in the coming weeks with the competition to maintain a strong connection to the heritage of the respective Hard Yakka/Totally workwear VFL and Toyota NEAFL competitions and the communities who support them,’’ it said in a statement which referred to the “VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition’’.

“The VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition will sit alongside the SANFL and the WAFL in 2021 to provide players with the highest level of second-tier football,’’ the AFL said.

“The AFL will continue to work with all AFL clubs on their non-selected AFL players ahead of their respective 2021 seasons.

“The AFL will continue to work closely with AFL NSW/ACT and AFL Queensland to ensure the continued development and progression of premier men’s and women’s competitions in the state and territory.’’

Ahead of today’s announcement Sydney Uni confirmed they had joined Redland and Canberra Demons in withdrawing from the competition for financial reasons.

6 northern clubs join the VFL essentially. 22 teams but a 16 rd competition... sounds like the little league at half time

But I’ll (begrudgingly) go watch it anyhow
just better do it 22 rounds, play everyone once. Makes zero sense for 16 rounds.

Conferences incoming then.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
just better do it 22 rounds, play everyone once. Makes zero sense for 16 rounds.

Conferences incoming then.

Until the AFL stops paying for travel and charges a licence fee to standalone clubs... they’ll then get together and form their own Vic league

I reckon this new comp lasts 3 years before we end up with an eastern coast AFL reserves comp

Until the AFL stops paying for travel and charges a licence fee to standalone clubs... they’ll then get together and form their own Vic league

I reckon this new comp lasts 3 years before we end up with an eastern coast AFL reserves comp

and AFL can Finally go back to the Reserves

Jul 14, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, UVA, Anaheim Ducks

Not sure about that i reckon people will really get around the VFL more than ever before.

I think they will make a pretty penny from this imo.

Back