Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or were the 1990s a much more hopeful, relaxing, positive decade in terms of mainstream culture?? I say mainstream culture because it's a focus on cultural consciousness of thought. Switch on a 90s radio station and "This is hopeful, cool, upbeat, classy, silly fun". What happened to that being a thing in the mainstream consciousness?? Obviously sport was very memorable as well and quite a lot of other categories. The tech era was the crossover of analogue to digital and the early days of computers.

I recall feature music being more down to earth, classy and for the every person, especially music videos. People weren't really as bothered by what seems to stress people out these days because it wasn't being talked about as much.

Movies were still classics/memorable.

I think the 90s got the balance of stuff right!! Mainstream culture wasn't as intimidating, low brow and narcissistic as it has been for the last twenty years.

Before Covid there was a big rise of cultural narcissism and entitlement in the 2010s. The price of assets and living skyrocket, no big deal! It's just how things are, etc. Now everyone's a superstar?? Ahhh, no, we're still just ordinary people, same as before, in reality.

I hope Covid teaches people to slow down, learn zen, learn some balance and more importantly, let go of "Ego". The cultural ego got out of control.
We need a modern 90s Part 2. Sensible, balanced, classy, exciting, relaxing, hopeful.

I think you have to find that existence yourself these days. Choose what you like reading. What digital platforms suit you the person. Search the music you like, Balance of lifestyle that has a similar positivity about it.
Has a lot to do with technology - 'social' media, smart phones and 24/7 news cycle.

I wouldn't mind discovering "old school" forums like this one where there is interesting conversation about topics other than those thrust down people's throats by MSM.

Is it just me or were the 1990s a much more hopeful, relaxing, positive decade in terms of mainstream culture?? I say mainstream culture because it's a focus on cultural consciousness of thought. Switch on a 90s radio station and "This is hopeful, cool, upbeat, classy, silly fun". What happened to that being a thing in the mainstream consciousness?? Obviously sport was very memorable as well and quite a lot of other categories. The tech era was the crossover of analogue to digital and the early days of computers.

I recall feature music being more down to earth, classy and for the every person, especially music videos. People weren't really as bothered by what seems to stress people out these days because it wasn't being talked about as much.

Movies were still classics/memorable.

I think the 90s got the balance of stuff right!! Mainstream culture wasn't as intimidating, low brow and narcissistic as it has been for the last twenty years.

Before Covid there was a big rise of cultural narcissism and entitlement in the 2010s. The price of assets and living skyrocket, no big deal! It's just how things are, etc. Now everyone's a superstar?? Ahhh, no, we're still just ordinary people, same as before, in reality.

I hope Covid teaches people to slow down, learn zen, learn some balance and more importantly, let go of "Ego". The cultural ego got out of control.
We need a modern 90s Part 2. Sensible, balanced, classy, exciting, relaxing, hopeful.

I think you have to find that existence yourself these days. Choose what you like reading. What digital platforms suit you the person. Search the music you like, Balance of lifestyle that has a similar positivity about it.
The question should be
Do you want to stop living/experiencing life because society dictates something else

well said skarlett.

Sieze is a powerful word and action. Do that. Seize the moment, seize the opportunity. Make the opportunity or the moment. Some people's situations are different to others but some choose to sit around feeling sorry for themselves. Where did that ever get anyone? If you're still in the same situation and nothings changed, change it.

Control what you can. What you can't control, you can not. Simple.

well said skarlett.

Sieze is a powerful word and action. Do that. Seize the moment, seize the opportunity. Make the opportunity or the moment. Some people's situations are different to others but some choose to sit around feeling sorry for themselves. Where did that ever get anyone? If you're still in the same situation and nothings changed, change it.

Control what you can. What you can't control, you can not. Simple.
I was unsure about the nostalgia method being used and how that would work because of the difference in culture was so great as explained

"some choose to sit around feeling sorry for themselves"
Don't think Mootsy was again nostalgia

Laughter is a brilliant remedy for when you're feeling down. Watch some comedy shows/movies, perhaps one you've already seen.

What brings you in the moment? A good bike ride? Catching up or talking to a friend. Immerse yourself in something where you're not thinking you're just being. Or something that brings you '' back '' into the present.

Keep well guys.

Laughter is a brilliant remedy for when you're feeling down. Watch some comedy shows/movies, perhaps one you've already seen.

What brings you in the moment? A good bike ride? Catching up or talking to a friend. Immerse yourself in something where you're not thinking you're just being. Or something that brings you '' back '' into the present.

Keep well guys.

This also rings truth if you have or have had friends in the past who had a contagious laugh and just see the light side of everything that put you in a state where you became fun as well, because it's like that person gave you permission to enjoy yourself. Sometimes it's a cousin, a friend, colleague. It might just be the sort of people you can be yourself and chill out around and that's really what you want to strive for if you've lost that somehow. Again, not easy. But trying to find that again.

A perfect example is Jack Black and Jeblinski world. They are all relaxed people but still find a way to be successful as well. There is a balance there.

That saying, "If you are lost in depression, maybe you're just surrounded by a-h*!@&s"..

Depressed people are often rigidly stuck in their ego mode and seem to be in some sort of OCD loop that they've learnt from someone else or their environments, or they've learnt habits like self consciousness because they've been picked on or critiqued a lot by bulling types, or they've been around a lot of narcissists. But i think it's good to realise that they are better off trying to unlearn that with things like comedy, a much lighter hearted persona, fun, controlled alcohol, exercise, a relaxed approach to pretty much everything that goes agiainst where they've ended up, unless they wanted to end up in that place.

Really important to find your own fun zone, otherwise life will be living through other peoples magnetic ego, but that's not you, so it's kinda pointless getting sucked into it. But it would have to be a common element of depression and anxiety, being lost etc.

I have absolutely zero doubt that fun parents create relaxed and more creative people. Strict and verbally loud parents create self consciousness, OCD, fear of failure, low self esteem and much weaker personalities, even if those people end up have a strong ego, underlying problems are still going to be there, it has the reverse effect of what was intended. Generally speaking. It just shows itself in varied ways.

The problem there seems to be that there is zero handbook on this at all for parents. As in, nothing but the hope of "I can do this", but nobody gives out advice on what works well etc...Yet we have instruction manuals for fridges and more human/client feedback on how you want your take away meal then there is on how to treat human beings for their well being and mental health.

Last edited:
I have absolutely zero doubt that fun parents create relaxed and more creative people. Strick and verbally loud parents create self consciousness, OCD, fear of failure, low self esteem and much weaker personalities, it has the reverse effect of what was intended. Generally speaking. It just shows itself in varied ways
Ignoring genetics and seperate external factors I agree to an extent. And God help anyone that had one of each parental type 😂😜

Ignoring genetics and seperate external factors I agree to an extent. And God help anyone that had one of each parental type 😂😜

Genetic traits can definitely overpower upbringing, but they have to be strong enough to overpower environmental influences. So people with big enough confidence or ego that environment and outside influence doesn't sway their path.

I suppose good looking people would have a much more nurturing and positive experience in terms of feedback of many people than average looks etc then we can get into personality types and so on.

Chin up those that aren't doing too good at the present. The only way to get better is to keep fighting no matter what and keep moving forward through the good and the bad.

You want to be happy you have to fight for it and earn it. Nothing in life comes easy. Everything takes practice and patience.

Keep at it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just coming out of a pretty s**t time this year- several different issues (some old, some new) then corona comes along which was the straw that broke the camels back.

All the best to everyone itt.

Ps. If i may offer a bit of practical advice to those with long hair- take. Care. Of. It. No matter how s**t you're feeling. I learnt my lesson the hard way regarding this

I've been flat for a few weeks. Haven't been playing Pokemon GO, or the piano. One of my online friends died and I played Danny Boy, but that might be the only time in about a few weeks to a month. Haven't been gaming.

I think the end of lockdown doesn't make things easier. At least when I had to be home I knew what to do with myself. Whereas now I have freedom and I feel like I don't know what to do.

I also haven't been as regular with my medication. I'm getting strict with it again but in the meantime if anyone knows how I can give myself a boost, let me know.

For me making a general plan/list of what to do each day (for one week- not too far in advance) works- i type it all into my phone in a memo. Jobs/tasks no matter how small or important, they go in there. And i check the weather in advance so there's no excuses. Eg. Didnt go out for a walk today b/c of the heat + rain. Also im making an effort to actually see people in person- especially important, as I live alone.

Its very hard tho- i was alot like that too once lockdown was lifted it just brought about another amount of stress/nervousness.

I've been flat for a few weeks. Haven't been playing Pokemon GO, or the piano. One of my online friends died and I played Danny Boy, but that might be the only time in about a few weeks to a month. Haven't been gaming.

I think the end of lockdown doesn't make things easier. At least when I had to be home I knew what to do with myself. Whereas now I have freedom and I feel like I don't know what to do.

I also haven't been as regular with my medication. I'm getting strict with it again but in the meantime if anyone knows how I can give myself a boost, let me know.
I reckon that the best person that can tell you how to get a boost is yourself. That applies to everyone. We all know ourselves better than others ever can. So I'd just say that what I do is engage with whatever I know makes me feel a little better. Not an entirely satisfying or helpful answer but that's all I have really.

In saying that, I think you should be proud that you're actively taking steps to heal. Getting back into the swing of keeping up with meds is a BIG win. Even coming in here and voicing this is a win.

Every day can feel like a challenge, but if you can focus on those wins of yours then you at least know you're putting in effort and making progress. That's a good feeling. You just need to remember that you're moving forward, not sinking, regardless of what our stupid brains tell us.

But that's all easier said than done, I know.

A lot of us in here during lockdown were talking about how it was making us feel even worse than normal. Obviously not everyone in here, but I saw a few.

Now that we can go out again it does feel a little stressful. A little overwhelming. Like... What do I do now? But I think it's still preferable to where we were not too long ago.

Anyone that did mention lockdown being particularly bad should be mindful that we at least have more options to get out of our own heads now. We have better access to support networks or even things that bring us pleasure.

I'm trying to maintain a good level of perspective. Things could be worse. It's helped a little, which is a victory.

Now that we can go out again it does feel a little stressful. A little overwhelming. Like... What do I do now? But I think it's still preferable to where we were not too long ago.

Made me a little more depressed in a twisted way- wasnt like my phone was going off with a tonne of offers to do stuff. :tearsofjoy: :$

Made me a little more depressed in a twisted way- wasnt like my phone was going off with a tonne of offers to do stuff. :tearsofjoy: :$
It was almost the opposite for me. Hadn't had a phone connected to a network for ages because it just stressed me getting calls but I thought with lockdown easing I'd try and join society again, bought a new sIm card and all that, gave number to friends.

Now I keep getting texts and calls and it's stressing me out to no end 😂 I'm reminded of a lyric from my favourite lyricist. "Here's one every time my telephone buzzes, I see images of hooded riders setting fire to hundreds"

But I think I just need keep to forcing myself to engage and eventually, I'm hoping, it just becomes a regular thing that doesn't bother me.

Similar to you, maybe you need to contact people and organise meetings to keep yourself busy? I don't know how you operate, but I know that even if it stresses me leading up to it, once I'm engaged with mates my mind is less preoccupied with it's problems. Even if it's only a few hours, that's a few hours of lessened depression. Even if only slightly.

Maybe reaching out to mates will make them more likely to keep in contact with you?

But you'd know you better than I. I could be way off the mark.

It was almost the opposite for me. Hadn't had a phone connected to a network for ages because it just stressed me getting calls but I thought with lockdown easing I'd try and join society again, bought a new sIm card and all that, gave number to friends.

Now I keep getting texts and calls and it's stressing me out to no end 😂 I'm reminded of a lyric from my favourite lyricist. "Here's one every time my telephone buzzes, I see images of hooded riders setting fire to hundreds"

But I think I just need keep to forcing myself to engage and eventually, I'm hoping, it just becomes a regular thing that doesn't bother me.

Similar to you, maybe you need to contact people and organise meetings to keep yourself busy? I don't know how you operate, but I know that even if it stresses me leading up to it, once I'm engaged with mates my mind is less preoccupied with it's problems. Even if it's only a few hours, that's a few hours of lessened depression. Even if only slightly.

Maybe reaching out to mates will make them more likely to keep in contact with you?

But you'd know you better than I. I could be way off the mark.

Nah ive always had to be the one to make contact. I cannot recall the last time when someone asked me to grab a drink, or whatnot, out of the blue. I have NFI why, but thats the way it is.

Re. not having the phone connected. Can totally relate- when i was really down and out, my mobile was pretty much switched off until really late at night, I'd just check my messages, then go to bed. Couldnt stand the thought of talking to anyone, except for my mum.

Nah ive always had to be the one to make contact. I cannot recall the last time when someone asked me to grab a drink, or whatnot, out of the blue. I
Are many of your friends aware of your situation? I know I've burned a lot of bridges through my behaviour and then there are others that just don't know how to deal with people who are down. I've had friends tell me that they didnt invite me to particular things because they thought it would be too much for me.

Again, your situation could be entirely different, maybe your mates are just dicks 😂 but I know that 99% of the people I've lost contact with, my issues were the root cause.

It does suck though, even if the idea of going out might be a bit much it is nice to be thought of. I just don't think a lot of people are adequately equipped to deal with people that are down. The same way we can withdraw from basic things, normal people can withdraw from us.

I am sorry to hear it though mate, it's not ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back