Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha. So funny. This morning on TR he had:
1) JC
2) Saad
3) Higgins
4) 2MP
5) Zac Williams

Williams is clearly the best get of the trade period so far. JC could potentially trump him but a 33 year old Higgins - seriously?

2MP - yeah right. Couldn't get a game ahead of Day (12 goals for the year) and King who is 19.

Moronic stuff.

Higgins at 4 above Williams too. Wow.

Cameron, Higgins and Smith are all quality additions for where Geelong are.
They want a premiership and need it now and that's fair enough.

I'd still happily bet that Saad and Williams will stand out more, than any of the Geelong intakes next year. We'll see.

more annoyed about Higgins to Stain Kilda, tbh - they'll have smashed another trade period if they manage to land him

Yeah good on Saints for making some moves...though saw an interesting comment from a Collingwood poster and have seen this sentiment before.

Basically that Graeme Allan, who joined Saints a few years ago, is known for wheeling and dealing and getting players into clubs. That's all well and good, except he often brings them in on big contracts and trades to shake things up and then moves onto another club and the contracts become someone elses problem down the track.

Looking at his history, was at GWS and Collingwood before Saints, with his tenures being known for big money signings. In Saints case, they paid big time for Hanneberry and Hill who aren't even performing that well, though they seemingly did well with some others like Jones & Butler.

Only reasoning I can come up with that makes sense as to why we're not targeting Treloar is that we're confident and hell bent on acquiring Merrett or Oliver next year and Treloar spells an end to those dreams.

Also might make it harder to lock in Crippa and Harry contracts.

Otherwise, he's a bloody steal and Dogs make out like bandits in any trade they get over the line.

What else is possible today?

It's going to be hard because the only way I could see us trading O'Brien would be if we could then somehow get back into first round contention with a specific target in mind. All too hard, isn't it?

OR.....If (a big if) O'Brien was traded, Collingwood's 2021 second rounder may be the best bet for us and go to the draft with 38 & 48.
It would be the first time in 5 years we wouldn't be holding at least one first rounder in the draft.

EDIT: And C'09 drops the update, above. :)

I’d be very disappointed if we let LOB go. Would be Selling low and I have faith in the kid

So can somebody confirm or deny for me.....if we don’t need LOB’s potential compensation for another deal, pick swap or player, why sell him for chips ? Wouldn’t we just keep him on the list and persevere for at least another year ?

Yeah good on Saints for making some moves...though saw an interesting comment from a Collingwood poster and have seen this sentiment before.

Basically that Graeme Allan, who joined Saints a few years ago, is known for wheeling and dealing and getting players into clubs. That's all well and good, except he often brings them in on big contracts and trades to shake things up and then moves onto another club and the contracts become someone elses problem down the track.

Looking at his history, was at GWS and Collingwood before Saints, with his tenures being known for big money signings. In Saints case, they paid big time for Hanneberry and Hill who aren't even performing that well, though they seemingly did well with some others like Jones & Butler.
Looking at this trade very closely. Richmond has knocked back a future second several times. It might end up being a future second and a swap of firsts this year if Paul gets his way. He has an amazing ability of getting deals done for his clients. It helps when you manage half the players in the AFL, you don't want to piss him off cause it will come back to bite you soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only reasoning I can come up with that makes sense as to why we're not targeting Treloar is that we're confident and hell bent on acquiring Merrett or Oliver next year and Treloar spells an end to those dreams.

Also might make it harder to lock in Crippa and Harry contracts.

Otherwise, he's a bloody steal and Dogs make out like bandits in any trade they get over the line.
The other possible reason would be those hamstrings of his

Not having a go or dig at anyone but...

How do we know we didn't try splitting picks?
Perhaps the other clubs didn't want to hand over 2 picks for one in this so called compromised draft.

It seemed like the obvious thing to do but never eventuated, maybe because it was shut down by all other clubs.

Did any team do any such pick swaps? i.e a first rounder for 2 higher picks?

It's not 2 for 1... we'd always have to give a later pick back as well...

Of course we don't know if we tried or not. Brisbane will struggle with their list size, they have 18+19+53+70 with rookie upgrades, a pick upgrade might work out well for them. Pies have a #1 prospect in next year's draft, 8 + f2 for 16 + f1 would've been something they'd like to explore imo.

Regardless, this doesn't really capture the essence of the original discussion which was IF * were able to split pick 8 today, then there'd be quite a few cracking the shits asking why didn't we do it? We have to wait and see what happens with pick 8 now before we can speculate on that.

Good chance a deal for whom?

I'd rather keep Macreadie, good developing key backman depth imo.
If he gets us enough points to move up to pick 14 and get a key back in the draft, it probably suits our timeline a little better.

So can somebody confirm or deny for me.....if we don’t need LOB’s potential compensation for another deal, pick swap or player, why sell him for chips ? Wouldn’t we just keep him on the list and persevere for at least another year ?

Yeh, you'd hope we're not just selling low. We either think he'll make it, in which case we should hold for him to show it - or we don't and it's cut and run time. But that would be another disappointing piece of asset management, wasting a pick 10 for stuff all return.

If the return was maybe a future second rounder or something... might be worth it. Carry a strong hand in next year to make a play for a final big fish or work up to very pointy-end draft pick for an elite kid.

Forward of centre either on a wing, through the guts or half forward flank I reckon there's a starting spot for him every week.

Forward 50 entries killed us this season and we had arguably our most creative and best kick in the side stationed in no man's land on the half back line. Play him where he was drafted to play!
Hawks had a couple of games with Burgoyne playing forward flank, some of his kicks into the forward line were sublime. At the time I remember thinking how good would it be SPS making that kick into the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back