Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty bang on there.

I've got plenty of criticisms.
Depth & planning being a big part of it.

For about 10 years now, our midfield has been smashed and nowhere near the top end of the AFL. Game is won and lost out of the middle, yet this mentality of KPPs 1st has dominated our mindset.
Fair play we've recruited 2x AA defenders in that time though. But we've also had 3x AA mids in 2 decades. 1 was a F/S and the other he wasn't sure on taking over Lobb.

Take that mark for him, and now it's a mark against. Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose - all over 30. All breaking down. Still our best defenders.
Coming through the ranks for KPD spots is Zerk-Thatcher (a late pick who is 50/50 as a prospect).
After that, it's a bunch of 3rd talls who like intercepting. Francis, Ridley, Redman (not really a tall either).
Where is the planning to have a 23/24yo putting pressure on these guys? I can't think who we've recruited and delisted to even try tbh.

Ruck is a similar story.
Had Draper not looked good this year, we'd be going into 2021 with Phillips (still unsigned and may join the Dees), Bryan (0 games), Crauford (0 games). Draper has played 3 or 4 games. Our 4 rucks have less than 50 games under their belts.

Then you take the forward line.
All eggs in the Daniher basket. Looked a gift in the face last year.
Could have added Kemp & Georgiades (inside mid + tall fwd), plus held Pick 3 (McDonald/Hollands this year).
Overruled or not, he needed to be making the case that 2x top 10 picks for an injured KPF who wasn't signing a contract extension is too risky a list mgmt strategy.

Agree that Shiel was a nice to have and we could have walked away and tried via FA the following year.
But disagree Dunkley shouldn't be pursued. he is exactly what i'd want from a 1st rounder...and ill pay the extra to get one developed, proven and ready to go.

Agree with most of this.

That said, I think our 2018 and 2019 teams should have been seriously competitive
Saad Hooker Ambrose (inj for a season)
McKenna Hurley Gleeson (inj for nearly 3 years)
McGrath Shiel Zaharakis
Fantasia (inj for 2 years) Stewart (inj for 2 years) Smith (inj for a season)
Tippa Daniher (inj for 2 years) Stringer
Bellcho Heppell (inj for 2 years) Merrett

What might have been eh?

It's D day everyone

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/c/8caf55e2803c9661ee2137f3269e1b9cfcaf6043.gif

Good stuff. You seem on paper to be nearly there & put together some good consecutive games but then things seem to fall apart before year's end. Interesting to see what happens today. I'm sure there'll be a surprise or two.
:)
our season felt like a combination of factors

Injuries (all clubs have em, but we lost our fwd line in its entirety. Townsend + McKernan were our main targets for a good chunk)
Head space - we ground out some good early wins (5-2 at one point i think). then something flipped & we looked lost and disinterested
Depth - it got tested. Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Daniher, Stringer, Hurley, Hooker, McKenna, Ambrose. And it came up lacking (not a surprise). We're feeling the pinch of the some failed picks.
Midfield - it's too shallow. Shiel, Merrett, Parish (who we have spending time forward), McGrath, Heppell, Zaka...these are our out and out mids. The rest are small forward/flanker cameos. Really not good enough to compete.
Gameplan - we're in transition. Ideally we get some clear air with the Rutten plan and while 2021 will likely be a bottom 5-8 finish, i'd hope we're seeing the trajectory shift towards clear improvement.

Agree with most of this.

That said, I think our 2018 and 2019 teams should have been seriously competitive
McGrath Shiel Zaharakis

What might have been eh?

Midfield was still bad. It's weird because midfields are the easiest part of the ground to fill with talent yet you guys have struggled for so long in that area.

Agree with most of this.

McGrath Shiel Zaharakis

What might have been eh?
2018 should have highlighted the depth issues.
And the pursuit of Shiel needed limits.

End of 2019 bothers me the most.
Bottom 6 %.
Fantasia had missed a sizeable chunk and looking to get out
Daniher - an offer of 9 and a future 1st. 9 got split into 17 & 22. For what?

we've had a poor couple of years of late.
Can't say the Richardson imprint has done us any favours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield was still bad. It's weird because midfields are the easiest part of the ground to fill with talent yet you guys have struggled for so long in that area.
Agree midfield still wasn’t good enough. However without the injuries they would’ve covered the weakness much better with Heppell inside and Stringer rolling in and out much more providing more hardness and impact. This would’ve allowed the outside type midfielders to be free to play that role.

Assuming all else working nicely, the list of 2018-20 was good enough to win a final... With noted improvements required in the midfield to go further in 2021-22. That was the plan. But noting the club and footy department were disconnected and dysfunctional top down put paid to any delivery of ‘potential’..

2018 should have highlighted the depth issues.
And the pursuit of Shiel needed limits.

End of 2019 bothers me the most.
Bottom 6 %.
Fantasia had missed a sizeable chunk and looking to get out
Daniher - an offer of 9 and a future 1st. 9 got split into 17 & 22. For what?

we've had a poor couple of years of late.
Can't say the Richardson imprint has done us any favours.

What has Richardson done wrong? He's a convenient scapegoat. Essendon's problems bat a lot deeper than Richardson (who's only been there for 5 mins). Failure to acknowledge those problems is what the problem is. If the board had there gumption, they would make the changes. Or did Richardson try to make changes that the board didn't like?

lol

all that is, is a number. Carlton on 3 finals in the same space of time.

Essendon and Carlton are both as s**t as each other and both are going nowhere quickly.

What has Richardson done wrong? He's a convenient scapegoat. Essendon's problems bat a lot deeper than Richardson (who's only been there for 5 mins). Failure to acknowledge those problems is what the problem is. If the board had there gumption, they would make the changes. Or did Richardson try to make changes that the board didn't like?
Agree

nothing wrong as such, but didn't really set things up to prosper.
joined us when we seemed on the up.
Players back. Kids getting time. Made finals. Picked up Saad, Stringer and Smith for good prices.
From 2018 until this year we've gone backwards. It was less enjoyable watching us this year than 2016.

Could be a scapegoat, could be part of the problem, all of the problem, none of it.
Hard to say. Will find out. But his tenure hasn't really brought much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back