List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it nice to be sitting back and just letting things unfold, without really having to deal with Dodo - I mean we are letting Hind go to them, but really a 3rd or 4th round pick is just semantics.
But whilst I'm on the bombers - isn't their list management strategy amusing to watch. Apart from Merrett, the current crop of midfielders they have are the biggest bunch of ball butchers in the competition. Add to this they have lost Saad (3rd in their BnF) and McKenna (4th in 2019 BnF), arguably their key distributors, as well as Daniher and Fantasia..... but they decide to recruit 2MP (Absolute potato), Caldwell (midfielder - might be a player down the track but who knows), Dunkley (good ballwinner but hopeless by foot) and Nick Hind (good luck to him, but I dont think he is up to it). Im sure their forwards will be licking their lips at the thought of the ball being delivered by Heppell, Shiel or Dunkley from the centre bounce. NOT.

I just had a visit from my Ratts contact and from what he told me it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't use our first round pick , not sure what that means though , any ideas ?
It's likely a strong sellers market with all the NGA bullsheet going on in the first round.
You'd also have to think that with Bytel, Byrnes and Clav largely going without games this year, that there is less imperative to add more kids to the queue this year.
With the right deal we could net a 2nd and 3rd this year and have 2 x FRDP for next year, so I think Gag's will just see whats on offer and the worst case scenario is that we nab a top 20 kid..

Not too bad..

Happy for Tom Hickey to be at his fourth club. Definition of genuine journeyman. I’ll never forget when he was standing the mark to bob murphy at full back, bob tried to take him on and he ailed him. it was a real ‘i believe that belongs to mr Gilmore’ moment.

it’s also not his fault we traded pick 13 for him and Brodie Grundy went at 18 😯

amazing to think we had 12 & 13 and we turned them into Hickey, Lee, White and Wright. Admittedly it’s a f**kin horrible draft but that is diabolical

Happy for Tom Hickey to be at his fourth club. Definition of genuine journeyman. I’ll never forget when he was standing the mark to bob murphy at full back, bob tried to take him on and he ailed him. it was a real ‘i believe that belongs to mr Gilmore’ moment.

it’s also not his fault we traded pick 13 for him and Brodie Grundy went at 18 😯

amazing to think we had 12 & 13 and we turned them into Hickey, Lee, White and Wright. Admittedly it’s a f**kin horrible draft but that is diabolical

Nobody had Grundy falling that far.

Predraft he was a lock to go to GWS in the top 10, probably top 3. Nothing more certain.

I wouldn't have minded James Stewart over Spencer White though...

Interesting Sam Edmund just said we were Treloar's preference for where he wanted to go but we just didn't have the assets or money to get it done so he's had to look elsewhere.
I reckon we could’ve had a fire sale to clear the cap space but draft picks was always going to be a problem. Shame cause he would’ve been a great pick up. Wonder if Carlton regret locking down Saad if they knew treloar would be available for the same price.

Was Hickey or Longer the better ruck? Its a topic that needs more discussion...

Happy for Tom Hickey to be at his fourth club. Definition of genuine journeyman. I’ll never forget when he was standing the mark to bob murphy at full back, bob tried to take him on and he ailed him. it was a real ‘i believe that belongs to mr Gilmore’

That was a great moment. Pretty sure that basically kick started our 55 point comeback win.

(That and tough guy Stringer trying to ark up to Roo after the HT siren).

Sounds like we could have made it work it we wanted too but then it would stop us doing anything for the next few years because of that contract.
I think it means we were 100% not bluffing when we said we would walk from Crouch if they matched.

We clearly wanted a player for free (in the asset sense) and got that via Free Agency, if that wasn't an option then we would have chased Treloar

Sounds like we could have made it work it we wanted too but then it would stop us doing anything for the next few years because of that contract.

yeah well we don't want to be in Collingwoods position BECAUSE of Treloar, now that would be high irony.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hickey is the first AFL player to play based in 4 different states.
He needs to try to get to Crows or Port next.

We're done with overpaying contracts because we've got the room in our cap. We've established ourselves as a destination club, now we need to make sure we're in a position to be a retention club when the likes of Clark, Coff and King start getting massive offers from other teams.

Isn't it nice to be sitting back and just letting things unfold, without really having to deal with Dodo - I mean we are letting Hind go to them, but really a 3rd or 4th round pick is just semantics.
But whilst I'm on the bombers - isn't their list management strategy amusing to watch. Apart from Merrett, the current crop of midfielders they have are the biggest bunch of ball butchers in the competition. Add to this they have lost Saad (3rd in their BnF) and McKenna (4th in 2019 BnF), arguably their key distributors, as well as Daniher and Fantasia..... but they decide to recruit 2MP (Absolute potato), Caldwell (midfielder - might be a player down the track but who knows), Dunkley (good ballwinner but hopeless by foot) and Nick Hind (good luck to him, but I dont think he is up to it). Im sure their forwards will be licking their lips at the thought of the ball being delivered by Heppell, Shiel or Dunkley from the centre bounce. NOT.
Essendon have forwards????

I reckon we could’ve had a fire sale to clear the cap space but draft picks was always going to be a problem. Shame cause he would’ve been a great pick up. Wonder if Carlton regret locking down Saad if they knew treloar would be available for the same price.
Seems like Treloar being available came up quite late so most clubs already had plans in place.

If we had known earlier, we probably could have found space or done things differently to make it work. But we had a plan heading into trade period and we wanted to stick to it.

I think it means we were 100% not bluffing when we said we would walk from Crouch if they matched.

We clearly wanted a player for free (in the asset sense) and got that via Free Agency, if that wasn't an option then we would have chased Treloar
Probably one reason why Adelaide did match in the end since there was a clear 2nd option for us to walk too instead of Crouch.

I think Hickey is the first AFL player to play based in 4 different states.
He needs to try to get to Crows or Port next.
Jon Giles.

Port > GWS > Essendon > West Coast.

Could go nowhere.
Stephenson is out the door to north. You could be right. But surely there is apart of all of us who would be wondering “what if” you could land him for 600k.

Midfielders take you a long bloody way to winning it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back