List Mgmt. 2020 Draft - JUH & Bedendo

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cox will end up being a star

Someone might take him really early..
201cm great hands massive tank and smooth left footer bit like a young Harry Taylor

Reid more your shut down back hard nose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree about Cox going early. Most draft watchers don't seem to rate him highly but has good attributes, was good enough to play for Vic Metro as an under ager which is rare and there aren't many talls next year nor were there many last year so teams might jump.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone know much about Maurice Rioli Jnr? How does he project as a player?
Richmond sound a little non-committal in this article - looking at him late or as a rookie.

I think I remember reading that he and JUH were close - boarding at Scotch together and I was wondering whether he might be an option for us as a small forward?

Maybe if we were to end up with a third rounder after JUH is matched we could put in a bid higher than Richmond would match?
They do already have an abundance of small forwards on their list.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Does anyone know much about Maurice Rioli Jnr? How does he project as a player?
Richmond sound a little non-committal in this article - looking at him late or as a rookie.

I think I remember reading that he and JUH were close - boarding at Scotch together and I was wondering whether he might be an option for us as a small forward?

Maybe if we were to end up with a third rounder after JUH is matched we could put in a bid higher than Richmond would match?
They do already have an abundance of small forwards on their list.
They’re best mates. Don’t think we’ll get him though. Tigers playing a little coy here & West coast were keen, too. Would be a great pickup however and would not be mad if we jumped the gun a little and tried to sneak ahead of a few bids. Needs plenty of work on his fitness and work ethic.

They’re best mates. Don’t think we’ll get him though. Tigers playing a little coy here & West coast were keen, too. Would be a great pickup however and would not be mad if we jumped the gun a little and tried to sneak ahead of a few bids. Needs plenty of work on his fitness and work ethic.
But isn't that what we hear about every second indigenous kid? Have we become so risk averse at draft time that we end up with none of them?

And then we bemoan the fact that every club has good indigenous small forwards (or whatever) while we have none.

Sure there will be a few Elijah Taylors, Harley Bennells and Sydney Stacks (loads of ability but persistent "issues"). However there will also be quite a few Eddie Betts, Charlie Camerons and the like, even if some require a bit of perseverance before they blossom. Mostly clubs don't have to sacrifice a high draft pick to take that punt and if the cost of getting the next Eddie Betts or Charlie Cameron is using two or three late picks then I'm up for it. *

Are we gun-shy because a few of our speculators (eg Zephaniah Skinner, Djerrkura) didn't work out? If that's the club's thinking then perhaps we aren't playing the percentages right.

NB: I'm not criticising you D4c, as you are saying Rioli's worth a shot. In fact this rant is not specifically about Rioli - I'm just trying to fathom why we don't give ourselves a chance more often.

* Betts went at pick #3 in the PSD (admittedly a long time ago) and Cameron went at #7 in the 2013 rookie draft. I'm sure there are plenty of other good examples we could use.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
But isn't that what we hear about every second indigenous kid? Have we become so risk averse at draft time that we end up with none of them?

And then we bemoan the fact that every club has good indigenous small forwards (or whatever) while we have none.

Sure there will be a few Elijah Taylors, Harley Bennells and Sydney Stacks (loads of ability but persistent "issues"). However there will also be quite a few Eddie Betts, Charlie Camerons and the like, even if some require a bit of perseverance before they blossom. Mostly clubs don't have to sacrifice a high draft pick to take that punt and if the cost of getting the next Eddie Betts or Charlie Cameron is using two or three late picks then I'm up for it. *

Are we gun-shy because a few of our speculators (eg Zephaniah Skinner, Djerrkura) didn't work out? If that's the club's thinking then perhaps we aren't playing the percentages right.

NB: I'm not criticising you D4c, as you are saying Rioli's worth a shot. In fact this rant is not specifically about Rioli - I'm just trying to fathom why we don't give ourselves a chance more often.

* Betts went at pick #3 in the PSD (admittedly a long time ago) and Cameron went at #7 in the 2013 rookie draft. I'm sure there are plenty of other good examples we could use.
Not sure I understand where all that comes from mate but I didn't mention him being indigenous, just that he lacked work rate and needed to work on his fitness levels. That's why I don't think he goes too early in the draft. Same as 50% of the speculative picks later in the draft tbh.

Our aversion to drafting indigenous talent is not something I can/will speculate on.

Not sure I understand where all that comes from mate but I didn't mention him being indigenous, just that he lacked work rate and needed to work on his fitness levels. That's why I don't think he goes too early in the draft. Same as 50% of the speculative picks later in the draft tbh.

Our aversion to drafting indigenous talent is not something I can/will speculate on.
Fair enough. I was definitely not having a go at you or anything you said.

PG has said it's something the club wants to address (or words to that effect) ... but I know it can be a touchy subject.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wouldn't say no if we traded back into the first round (assuming we have currency, which is mainly assuming Dunks leaves) to grab Nik Cox. 2m utility (CHB possibly his most natural position) with an awesome athletic base. Also a Dogs supporter.

I wouldn't say no if we traded back into the first round (assuming we have currency, which is mainly assuming Dunks leaves) to grab Nik Cox. 2m utility (CHB possibly his most natural position) with an awesome athletic base. Also a Dogs supporter.

Nice. I want one for Christmas!

He looks to be a right footer but seems comfortable on either foot. He even takes set shots with his left sometimes.

Seems like a lot of small forward options this draft, I'm hoping we grab one or two of them, given the chance.

Here's who I can see, in the order they seem to be rated. Can anyone give more insight into their particular strengths and weaknesses? Anyone I've missed? Anyone you're particularly keen on?

Errol Gulden
Bailey Laurie
Joel Western
Jack Ginnivan
Black Coleman
Isiah Winder
Tariek Newchurch
Charlie Lazzaro
Corey Durdin
Phoenix Spicer
Maurice Rioli Jr
Corey Preston
Will Papley

I know some of these are father-son/NGA but you never know, so was Dunkley

Last edited:

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems like a lot of small forward options this draft, I'm hoping we grab one or two of them, given the chance.

Here's who I can see, in the order they seem to be rated. Can anyone give more insight into their particular strengths and weaknesses? Anyone I've missed? Anyone you're particularly keen on?

Errol Gulden
Bailey Laurie
Joel Western
Jack Ginnivan
Black Coleman
Isiah Winder
Tariek Newchurch
Charlie Lazzaro
Corey Durdin
Phoenix Spicer
Maurice Rioli Jr
Corey Preston

I'd absolutely bid on Rioli Jr.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Errol Gulden
Bailey Laurie
Joel Western
Jack Ginnivan
Black Coleman
Isiah Winder
Tariek Newchurch
Charlie Lazzaro
Corey Durdin
Phoenix Spicer
Maurice Rioli Jr
Corey Preston

Knightmares latest post on his draft board may help with this.

Hey guys, well done today. Just a question - do you know if it's true that you can only use as many picks to match a bid as you have list spots available? Or can you add up as many picks as you'd like?

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Errol Gulden
Bailey Laurie
Joel Western
Jack Ginnivan
Black Coleman
Isiah Winder
Tariek Newchurch
Charlie Lazzaro
Corey Durdin
Phoenix Spicer
Maurice Rioli Jr
Corey Preston
Will Papley

I feel that given the picks we have accumulated, a likely bid for JUH outside of the top 2, and a late bid (if any) on Macpherson and Raak, we will likely end up taking a pick in the third or fourth round. I hope that we are targeting one of these guys with our first live pick.

My personal hope is that we nominate Rioli with pick 42 and Richmond don't match.
That way we can ruin the Richmond fans offseason along with Collingwood and Essendons. (Well as much as can be ruined when you have won the flag).

Anyone else got a small forward preference?

I feel that given the picks we have accumulated, a likely bid for JUH outside of the top 2, and a late bid (if any) on Macpherson and Raak, we will likely end up taking a pick in the third or fourth round. I hope that we are targeting one of these guys with our first live pick.

My personal hope is that we nominate Rioli with pick 42 and Richmond don't match.
That way we can ruin the Richmond fans offseason along with Collingwood and Essendons. (Well as much as can be ruined when you have won the flag).

Anyone else got a small forward preference?
Of the realistic ones; Rioli, Winder or Spicer

Of the realistic ones; Rioli, Winder or Spicer
All three would be attractive with a late pick. If they get that far. We won't need any more talls unless there's a good KPD going cheap.

Back