Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to the longer minutes per game next year should suit him as well as Scully
Hey Dazza
Thought I was hearing that they were not going back to full game time in 2021 and that they were still working with the covid model.
Getting back to the G should sit well with a number of our players.

Hey Dazza
Thought I was hearing that they were not going back to full game time in 2021 and that they were still working with the covid model.
Getting back to the G should sit well with a number of our players.
Sounds like it will be 18 minutes a quarter next year up from 16.

It has been a real weakness in our team the last three years when Shiels, JOM, etc could regularly rack up low teen possessions over multiple games.

I didn't check Shiels, but this seems wrong for JOM. Last year with full length games, JOM only got under 20 3 times, and under 18 only once. 2018 was similar, only 3 games under 20 disposals, although there was a 13 possession game that year, but that's the only one in a full length game that I'd call 'low teens' in the last two full seasons.

Phillips is a good get given what we paid. He's not as good as Smith in a number of areas, probably contested ball winning the only area you can really say he's superior to smith. Oh, and he doesn't wear a Geelong jumper which is also a massive plus versus Smith.

I didn't check Shiels, but this seems wrong for JOM. Last year with full length games, JOM only got under 20 3 times, and under 18 only once. 2018 was similar, only 3 games under 20 disposals, although there was a 13 possession game that year, but that's the only one in a full length game that I'd call 'low teens' in the last two full seasons.

Phillips is a good get given what we paid. He's not as good as Smith in a number of areas, probably contested ball winning the only area you can really say he's superior to smith. Oh, and he doesn't wear a Geelong jumper which is also a massive plus versus Smith.
I am not sure but i think he tank might actually be slightly better. Both elite but Phillips two way running is insane.

Very different players though, Phillips is in to replace Hendo and if he can get close to 2019 Henderson we have a great buy.

I might be marking JOM a tad harshly as you say. Probably because we gave up so much to get him I expect "A" grade output every match (unfairly on my behalf).

It is a very valid criticism of Shiels and Sculley though (especially this year).

I might be marking JOM a tad harshly as you say. Probably because we gave up so much to get him I expect "A" grade output every match (unfairly on my behalf).

It is a very valid criticism of Shiels and Sculley though (especially this year).
Shiels averaged 17 this year pretty good for short quarters. He has always been around the 20-22 mark for disposals a game. Scully this year you are spot on about.

This trade alone turned the trade period from being a disaster into a huge success.

Phillips is the exact kind of guy we needed to target this off-season. We have a real hole in our list between 22-25 years old and he comes in and immediately fills a need at a high level. We wouldn’t have even used pick 65 in this draft so it turned out to be a shrewd piece of business. GW is the king, now let’s nail the draft!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Scully gets some leeway from me this year due to the shorter quarters taking away his biggest weapon (lots of those types had poor years this year across the entire league). Completely agree with you on Shiels. He went from super reliable, to reliably poor this year. Hopefully not cooked, and just didn't handle the hubs well, and bounces back this year. If he plays all of 2021 like he did this year, he should struggle to keep his spot in the midfield, although we are going to be pretty light on for experienced leaders, which might keep him in the team longer than he might deserve.

The other day a "Hawthorn" supporter was saying Wright is overrated and it was clearly Fagan driving the good trades.

Brisbane paid how much for Daniher?

They overpaid for Daniher to ensure the Bombers received 1st round compemsati0on to avoid having to entering into a trade alah the Cameron situation with Geelong and GWS,

I'm super excited for Phillips and think he can be a serious weapon in our system. He's 24. His endurance is elite, his ability to impact the scoreboard is bordering on elite & unlike most outside players Phillips isn’t afraid of winning the contested ball. For pick 65 a player with those attributes is already a bargain.

His only two weaknesses are he isn't lightning quick (but he's still better than average for pace) and his disposal is average to poor. If he can improve his kicking with us like Impey did I genuinely think he could be one of the best two-way wingmen in the competition. Hopefully with longer quarters and a return to the wide wings of the MCG Phillips & Scully can form a damaging partnership running opponents into the ground.

Last edited:
I'd have been comfortable trading our second rounder for him if it came to it. Pick 65 is just madness, especially when at have three picks in the forties.
It was madness at Collingwood this year. By the results, looks like our second rounder was enough to get all 3 of Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson, especially losing Smith/Poupolo/Stratton/Frawley, we had cap space too. People who think Pick 4 is guarantee of success, no such things in life look at Mccartin St Kilda Pick 1. Just goes to show in the past we were willing to not only part with multiple first round picks and pick up all salary in Wingard/JOM etc. Anyway we do need to bring in more youth to compensate for what we have done last few years, just saying pretty good deals this year for all 3 clubs involved with Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back