Resource www.footyjumpers.com

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
It wouldn't kill him to acknowledge where he sourced the images from. It's the least he could do.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't worry, a friend of ours, let's call him... Homer S, has already let the uploader know in the comments section

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 09.50.19.png

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
I'll have to keep track of that to see if he replies.

Mero on the topic of different appearance of jumpers in day/night, perhaps it's worth considering a standard to follow in future, i.e. how they look in sunny conditions.

There's obviously still room for human error, as well as other external factors affecting our judgement (varied lighting, aged photographs, etc). The struggle for precision in the Geelong Number Colour Saga illustrates the precarious nature of colour assessment without standardisation.

Applying the same methodology across the board maximises the accuracy of your records and makes comparison between eras more readily possible.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Mero on the topic of different appearance of jumpers in day/night, perhaps it's worth considering a standard to follow in future, i.e. how they look in sunny conditions.

There's obviously still room for human error, as well as other external factors affecting our judgement (varied lighting, aged photographs, etc). The struggle for precision in the Geelong Number Colour Saga illustrates the precarious nature of colour assessment without standardisation.

Applying the same methodology across the board maximises the accuracy of your records and makes comparison between eras more readily possible.
That's pretty much what I've done, actually.
Where possible (from the development of printed jumpers) I've used the PMS colours for jumpers, which means the jumpers are represented how they should look in 'normal' lighting conditions. With the canvas, wool and acrylic versions I've tried to match the colours of available dyes that I know of.
That would mean an overcast day, as sunlight tends to reflect off the polyester material.
(This is why we notice jumper clashes more since 1996)
Night games are different again, due to artificial light and shadows.

Last edited:
Groupie has been on about this forever, our yellow looks fresh under normal conditions but can have a odd tinge under lights/overcast in certain moments

What ever happened to him?
He's back as VB_longneck but on a very short leash so he keeps to the Tigers board

Unless of course, we have a even more vibrant yellow in which case he may have 3 more new accounts

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back on that Cats black numbers thing.

This museum video shows a few PIs from over the years that illustrate the change in number colour:

1912 (dark navy)

1912 Cats Jumper.png

1952 (navy)

1952 Cats Jumper.png

Haven't got dates on these but the #40 and #9 are definitely black, whereas the #16 is navy

Variation in Cats Jumpers.png

This is a 1970s lace-up (black) alongside a 2000 home jumper (probably a really dark navy)

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 16.59.08.png

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Fixed a few things over the break.
Every game in the Uniforms by Season pages now links to the AFLTables page for that game.
Melbourne, Geelong and South Melbourne I've added long sleeve jumpers under the canvas lace-ups after doing some research on Boyles Football Photos
This changes the 1902-1907 Seasons, and they're added to the All Uniforms for each team.
I've also changed the Geelong socks to a more accurate representation.

Last edited:
Back