#23 Jesse Hogan (traded in, 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an amazing pickup!

2018 Jesse Hogan is exactly what GWS needs. A lead-up centre half forward who will get 20 possessions 10 marks 1 goal. Suddenly, this team will be good at moving the ball from D50 to F50.

Unclear if we are getting 2018 Jesse Hogan or something else, but a straight swap for Zac Langdon is a smart move.

I haven’t rated Leon as a strategic coach for years, but his ability to get his players to improve their games and play with grit has always been a strength, so in that respect he is the perfect coach for Jesse Hogan.

Great move.

This is an amazing pickup!

2018 Jesse Hogan is exactly what GWS needs. A lead-up centre half forward who will get 20 possessions 10 marks 1 goal. Suddenly, this team will be good at moving the ball from D50 to F50.

Unclear if we are getting 2018 Jesse Hogan or something else, but a straight swap for Zac Langdon is a smart move.

I haven’t rated Leon as a strategic coach for years, but his ability to get his players to improve their games and play with grit has always been a strength, so in that respect he is the perfect coach for Jesse Hogan.

Great move.

Agree. We haven't really ever had a good pack breaking forward. Patton was meant to be it but never really delivered.

If Hogan can get focused, he will change the way our fwd 50 operates. Greene, Hill and Daniels will all benefit from crumbing the broken packs and we know they can find the big sticks with half an opportunity.

Will be good for us I think and a definite silver lining after losing Jezza.

Agree. We haven't really ever had a good pack breaking forward. Patton was meant to be it but never really delivered.

If Hogan can get focused, he will change the way our fwd 50 operates. Greene, Hill and Daniels will all benefit from crumbing the broken packs and we know they can find the big sticks with half an opportunity.

No I don’t think he is a pack marking key forward. We did have one of those by the way - Rory Lobb

I think he is a facilitating lead up centre half forward. He will mark on the wing and wheel and send the ball inside 50, or handball to someone running past.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing him get super fit starting now and having a great pre season because you need that fitness to play that role

Sadly, I don't share the same enthusiasm as the preceding posters.

Hogan has failed at two clubs and now comes to you as his 'last gasp'. If your coaching panel can get his head in the right place for longer periods then you stand a chance of seeing what he is really capable of. I am not expecting it to happen though.

Sadly, I don't share the same enthusiasm as the preceding posters.

Hogan has failed at two clubs and now comes to you as his 'last gasp'. If your coaching panel can get his head in the right place for longer periods then you stand a chance of seeing what he is really capable of. I am not expecting it to happen though.
Disagree he has failed at 2 clubs. Was a gun at Melbourne and basically had a cataclysm of events at Freo.
If we can get him right then we wont miss Jezzas out put(if not the man himself).

I worry that Leon is too soft for someone like Jesse.

Let's be honest he says he hated the spotlight, but that's only because when he was doing something he shouldn't be (like off his head at a festival) there was always someone with a camera on their phone.

If we get the 2017/18 Jesse then it will be the world's smartest trade. But me deep down concern is that he wants to be able to do what he wants without being noticed.

Hope I'm wrong though

Jesse Hogan isn't spending much time looking in the rear-view mirror. He is still very much of the belief his best football is in front of him. There is a strong desire to be regarded as, in his own words, 'one of the best forwards in the league' and a feeling that he hasn't yet hit a ceiling that was deemed to be as high as any young player to enter the top flight over the last decade.

With 25 goals from 14 matches, Hogan is putting together his best season since his final year at the Demons. There are consistency issues in his game and continuity problems with his body, but there have been signs he can still match it with the best key forwards in the competition. "I still think the best is absolutely in front of me. I strive to be one of the best forwards in the game. I think I can get there," Hogan said. "I've had some good moments in games and some good games this year, but the consistency's probably still lacking a little bit. If I can link that together, I still think I haven't reached my ceiling, so it's really exciting for me."

FOR THE first time in a long time, Jesse Hogan is loving playing football, and for him, there's no surprises why. Now into his ninth season in the AFL, Hogan has seen plenty, starting his career as a boom young key forward at Melbourne, moving home to Fremantle, and now living a more anonymous life in Sydney with the Giants. But it's getting his troublesome body right that has the 28-year-old excited about playing consistently.

Since late in the 2021 season, Hogan has played 31 of a possible 37 matches, never missing more than one week at any stage, and is now in his best nick in at least five years. Speaking to AFL.com.au on the eve of the Sydney Derby, the key forward said there was no secret to what was working. "It can be a pretty dark place the footy world, especially if it's the uncontrollables and your body is letting you down a bit, which it did for me for a few years," Hogan said. "It can be not as enjoyable as it once was when you were 15 or 16 and running around. As you get older you have to put time into those small things. All these small things add up to having more confidence in my body on game day and I've started to enjoy footy again."

Those "small things" include doing pilates up to four times a week, constantly changing his gym program and checking his training volume every week. In 71 games across four seasons with Melbourne, Hogan kicked 152 goals - an average of 2.1 a game - and showed himself to be one of the best young contested marks in the game, hauling in 1.75 each contest. After two tough years in the west and a slow return to form once moving to Greater Western Sydney, Hogan is now hitting those heights again. Last season he kicked 35 goals from 18 games and just as importantly got back to his marking best with 38 contested grabs (2.1 a game). That has continued in the opening six rounds of 2023, with 12 goals and 14 contested marks – third most in the AFL.

"I do a lot of work on that and pride myself on it as a key forward," he said. "The timing is massive. The more you're out there doing it, the more confidence you have going into game day. "It all comes back to being able to train more and having that continuity and being clean because you've had the reps against high quality backs like Jack Buckley and Sam Taylor … the more you do that stuff, the more confident you get. To be able to put a lot of time into it and to take a few this year has been enjoyable and is a bit of reward for effort."

Hogan says there's no doubt moving away from the AFL-centric Melbourne and Perth has played a role in his enjoyment. "It's just a different world and for me, it's been great."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan a NINE-goal hero in Giant 126-point belting as ‘scary’ records tumble on dark Dons day​

The GWS Giants, spearheaded by a remarkable nine-goal haul from Jesse Hogan, have demolished Essendon in a 126-point belting in one of the darkest days in the Bombers’ history. Hogan was the hero for GWS with a career-high nine goals.

Jesse Hogan had a day out against Essendon, slotting a career-high nine goals to put his stamp on the win. The former prized draft pick had three goals to half time and then exploded in the third term to add three more to his name. With the match well and truly over, Hogan continued on his merry way as he hit nine for the match.

“He’s having a day out!” AFL great Jason Dunstall said. Hogan nearly had the 10-goal mark when he got the hands over the top, but after limping for more than five minutes in the lead up he just couldn’t break free from the Brandon Zerk-Thatcher tackle.

Hogan a NINE-goal hero in Giant 126-point belting as ‘scary’ records tumble on dark Dons day​

The GWS Giants, spearheaded by a remarkable nine-goal haul from Jesse Hogan, have demolished Essendon in a 126-point belting in one of the darkest days in the Bombers’ history. Hogan was the hero for GWS with a career-high nine goals.

Jesse Hogan had a day out against Essendon, slotting a career-high nine goals to put his stamp on the win. The former prized draft pick had three goals to half time and then exploded in the third term to add three more to his name. With the match well and truly over, Hogan continued on his merry way as he hit nine for the match.

“He’s having a day out!” AFL great Jason Dunstall said. Hogan nearly had the 10-goal mark when he got the hands over the top, but after limping for more than five minutes in the lead up he just couldn’t break free from the Brandon Zerk-Thatcher tackle.
Holds the record for most goals in a game with Cameron now yeah?

Nice little article about Jesse - feeling good and performing at his peak:

GWS forward Jesse Hogan says it's taken nine years, but he's finally out of the footy wilderness. Hogan says his starring four-goal role in the Giants' polished 23-point semi-final win against Port Adelaide extends a career-best stretch. The 28-year-old's road to Friday night's preliminary final against Collingwood has been pockmarked by injuries, cancer and mental stress.

But the Giants' wildcard says he's now at the peak of his powers. "If you put last year and this year together, then definitely," Hogan told AAP. "It's the most games I have played and some of the most consistent footy I have played." Hogan's semi-final was his 22nd game this year - a personal best. He's kicked 48 goals - another personal best. "I have been pretty lucky this year with injuries," he said. "I have been able to stay on the park and that goes a long way when it comes to form."

Injuries have accompanied Hogan throughout his 139-game career spread over three clubs, Melbourne, then Fremantle, who tossed him away to GWS for token draft pick number 54 three years ago. He's hurt ankles, knees and feet among other ailments and in 2017, weeks after his father Tony died from cancer, was diagnosed with testicular cancer. But Hogan says he's now fully fit and his coach Adam Kingsley isn't shocked by the increasing influence of a talent once considered wasted. "He is obviously quite experienced in terms of years played in the game," Kingsley said. "But he's still learning, he's still growing, he still can improve. He's still getting better and he embraces it too, which is great."

Another fluff piece about Jesse, but adds some interesting backstory (some that I didn't know):

It took a series of unrelated events for Jesse Hogan’s resurrection as a Giant to eventuate.

There were Hogan’s off-field issues at Fremantle – ranging from a COVID-19 breach, when he invited a woman into his home instead of self-isolating, alcohol-related episodes, and ending up in hospital after his car ended up on its side – plus their inability to get his body right. With a year still to run on Hogan’s contract, Dockers football manager Peter Bell made it clear to potential suitors at the end of the 2020 season that the once-coveted forward was available.

Another was Greater Western Sydney superstar Jeremy Cameron’s high-profile defection to Geelong. The Giants were under salary-cap stress and knew they needed to offload some players, but Cameron was not a player they wanted to lose. They had drafted Jake Riccardi out of the VFL with a late pick a year earlier, but Harry Himmelberg and Jeremy Finlayson were effectively their only other tall forwards with Cameron gone.

One of Hogan’s agents, Matt Bain, had relocated to Sydney and was locked in conversations with GWS football boss Jason McCartney about whether another client, Jye Caldwell, would remain a Giant (he ended up being traded to Essendon). Then, one September day, Bain raised a new name with McCartney: “How about Jesse Hogan?”

McCartney’s interest was piqued, and he put one of their recruiters, award-winning former Age journalist Emma Quayle, on the job to do some investigative work on Hogan. Quayle discovered a theme with Hogan’s off-field troubles, namely that he never dragged any of his teammates down with him. The other key finding?

“It kept coming back to Jesse not being a bad person – he was a good person who had a lot of s--- happen in his life,” McCartney told this masthead. “We thought he could help us, and we could help him.”

Hogan’s rocky journey​

GWS were well aware of Hogan’s pedigree as a one-time junior prodigy who won the AFL’s Rising Star award in 2015 – becoming the first key forward since Nick Riewoldt 13 years earlier to do so – and kicked 152 goals in 71 games for Melbourne. He was rated as highly as Joe Daniher in his early seasons.

Hogan, originally from Perth, requested a trade to Fremantle at the end of 2018, in a move billed at the time as the Dockers securing their missing puzzle piece, especially since Matthew Pavlich’s retirement. But there were warning signs after Hogan suffered a season-ending partial fracture of the navicular bone in his right foot. The trade was a sliding-doors moment not only for Hogan but the Demons, who used Fremantle’s pick six – the centrepiece of the Hogan deal – to acquire Steven May from Gold Coast and stiffen their defence. May was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s drought-busting 2021 premiership, but Hogan and Fremantle enjoyed nowhere near the same success together, from the time he missed the season opener in his first year there, after making what Bell described as “poor choices around alcohol”.

But the hits kept coming. Hogan re-injured his navicular bone later that season in a clash with the Demons, while soft-tissue setbacks also marred his career out west, but there were greater problems away from the field. The 28-year-old previously revealed that football fans would peer into his trolley when he was at the supermarket and question the type of food he was buying. They also whipped out their phones to film Hogan if they spotted him having a few beers at a nightspot.

His dream homecoming had turned into a nightmare.

McCartney developed a theory after beginning to learn about Hogan’s experience in Western Australia over Zoom chats that replaced face-to-face conversations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hogan’s re-emergence as a star – including kicking four goals in the Giants’ semi-final upset of Port Adelaide on Saturday night – and ability to get on top of his physical woes since relocating to the Harbour City have convinced McCartney he was right.

“I’m sure there is some level of science to it, but him being in a better place with his body, touch wood, has come about while he is a lot more at ease,” McCartney said. “I’m incredibly happy for this young man, and the space he’s in, in his life. There is still stuff there, and he’s far from perfect, but from when he arrived, and the work he’s done and the environment we’ve provided him with at the club, he’s so much better off.”

McCartney would finish his Zoom chats with Hogan before speaking to his then-housemate, Lachie Schultz, as uncertainty about list spots reigned. Schultz ended up staying at Fremantle, at least in part because GWS were too tight in their salary cap. As the process started heading towards Hogan becoming a Giant, then-coach Leon Cameron and senior players Toby Greene, Callan Ward and Phil Davis started talking to him, too. Stephen Coniglio and Matt de Boer also caught up with Hogan during the off-season while they were back in Perth. Some at GWS were more cautious about recruiting Hogan, but there was enough belief they could turn his career around. “Maybe there was some risk associated, but we did the work to justify recruiting Jesse,” McCartney said. Fremantle agreed to trade Hogan for a third-round pick, while the big forward signed an incentivised one-year, prove-it deal with the Giants.

How the giants fixed Hogan

McCartney and Cameron figured out enough about Hogan throughout the recruiting process to know tough love was not the way to bring out the best in him. They also got the impression that he realised, without saying it aloud, that he was an unfulfilled talent.
GWS organised for Hogan to live in a humble granny flat at the back of Shane Mumford’s property as a short-term option, but he ended up enjoying the arrangement so much that he stayed for about a year. Having Bain in Sydney as a trusted confidante and extra layer of support was also an ideal scenario for Hogan, after he met several other clubs, including Richmond, the Swans, and his old club Melbourne.

“I knew the [Giants’] group pretty intimately from having a few of their players as clients, so I knew he’d fit in really well, mixed in with the lifestyle Sydney has to offer, with the surfing and being out of the spotlight,” Bain said. “It was the perfect fit for him to get away from the prying eyes of everyone, and it was important for him to get a fresh start to get his body right. But he was under no illusions that this was likely his last chance. I’ve been through everything with him, so to see him progress the last few years has made me immensely proud.”

One of the first steps was plotting a plan for him to get his body right, and GWS’ head of high performance, Nick Poulos, prioritised winning Hogan’s trust. They were conservative with his pre-season program, but a quad injury ruined his hopes of a round one debut. It was not his only setback either, and Hogan played only nine games in that first season – but the Giants were encouraged. He booted 20 goals in those matches, including 2.2 and six contested marks in a “phenomenal” performance in the one-point elimination final win over the Swans. A calf injury prevented Hogan from playing the next week.

“Leon was very good with him. There were moments of frustration with his injuries, or from him not chasing to lay a tackle out of our forward line, for example, but Leon was smart,” McCartney said. “He would talk to him about fixing a couple of things with his game, or at training, but always coming from a great place of support. Jesse just needed some love.”

Last year, the Giants and Hogan set a goal – to play 18 matches, with periodic rests built in. By playing in round 23, Hogan achieved just that – and his three goals that day gave him 35 for the season, his most since kicking 47 in his final season at Melbourne. Free of restrictions, he has been a model of consistency in 2023. Hogan has kicked multiple goals in 15 of his 22 matches, with a career-best nine against Essendon reminding everyone what he is capable of. His four-goal haul last week set a new personal high of 48 for the season, and he looms as a major factor in whether GWS can topple minor premiers Collingwood on Friday night to reach their second grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back