Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations and welcome Tom Phillips!

A great result by the club to get a high quality inclusion to fill a need, without compromising our broader plan for youth and draft talent.

I had not heard of this guy until a few weeks ago the way we are raving on we have just traded in the best deal since Shaun Burgoyne!
I think it sits about right I would not give up anything more for a depth player from the pies!

On G8141 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Enlighten those of us not blessed with your knowledge?
It’s not my knowledge at all, which is why I used the word RUMOURS ;)

There are many posts about his gambling & that it is out of control.
Supposedly lost 28k in one day while in the hub
After being completely burnt with Beams supposed gambling addiction, you can understand a club not wanting to deal with that again.
im not in anyway saying that’s why, but it may be part of the reason

Enlighten those of us not blessed with your knowledge?
Go to the scandals and rumours sub board of the main board and see for yourself

Let's keep this thread about the guy we got not the guy north got

I had not heard of this guy until a few weeks ago the way we are raving on we have just traded in the best deal since Shaun Burgoyne!
I think it sits about right I would not give up anything more for a depth player from the pies!

Surely you are taking the piss
You wouldn’t have given one of our picks in the 40’s for Phillips ?

He more than a depth player

You really must not pay a lot of attention to the AFL outside the Hawks if you had not heard of him...

He has been best 22 at the Pies since his second season in the AFL, his 2018 was seriously impressive.

No he is not a superstar but he is a lock best 22 and a very solid player. Only 24 years of age, durable and never had any off field issues.

We just got a 7+ year player for pretty much free. That is a bargain.

He played 65 out of 69 games for Collingwood over the past three years. The 4 he missed were the last 2 home and aways games, and finals this year...with a hamstring.

Otherwise 69 out of 69 games

I'm not quite sure we have the same definition of the phrase "depth player"

From his interview on SEN:

Tom Phillips seems very excited to be at our cub. No animosity towards Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing we got him for pick 65.

Just for fun I looked up some recent players drafted at 65:

2019: Thomas Hutchesson (GWS)
2018: Darcy Fort (Geel)
2017: Tom North (Fre)
2016: Pat Kerr (Carl)
2015: Ben Crocker (Coll)
2014: Josh Watts (Bris)
2013: Tom Langdon (Coll)
2012: pass
2011: Corey Goult (Coll)
2010: Claye Beams (Bris)

There are always some late gems but the odds are not great just looking at that list.

Thats actually an interesting list. You would think Langdon and Crocker have performed better than pick 65. Fort isn't a spud either.

Geez Wrighty is invaluable to our club. Will be a sad day when he moves on. Let's hope it's a long way off.

Is he ? Have a look at the state of our list. I think about 15 other clubs are currently better placed for their next assault at a premiership but each to their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back