Toast Welcome to the Saints - JACK HIGGINS!

I promise not to be his player advocate for next year thus guaranteeing him a full season with no injury concerns.
Hanners is just waiting for me to get of him . Dunstan will never forgive me . And I killed Paddy and Hugh Goddard’s careers .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I promise not to be his player advocate for next year thus guaranteeing him a full season with no injury concerns.
Hanners is just waiting for me to get of him . Dunstan will never forgive me . And I killed Paddy and Hugh Goddard’s careers .

Maybe next year you can be Patrick Dangerfield’s advocate?

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Dmac, has to be.

Balmira

Debutant
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have a really good feeling about Higgins, I see his future in the midfield. Same height as Lachie Neale, just needs to bulk up a bit. I doubt he'll end up at the level of Lachie, but I feel like he'll be great in his own right.

Most entertaining part of seeing this trade done is the Tigers fans angry on the Tigers board that he didn't 'work hard' and 'stick it out for the almighty Richmond club' and instead took the easy road. He's a Saints fan, he would have rathered play with us if we were wooden spooners than stay with the Tigers, their success doesn't mean as much to him. I think he'll try much harder for us than he ever could at the Tigers. He's loyal. Just not to them.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
This guy will be good because his name's Jack.
Jack Dyer
Jack Riewoldt
Jack Graham
Jack Higgins.

They should have known right then and there.

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some pretty petty abuse from a few Richmond fans on their board towards him. 3 days ago it was "1st rounder of GTFO", now it's "he was never best 22 and no great loss" or he's mentally weak because he didn't stay like Kamdyn. That's how you know you've got a good one when they're so triggered.

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Welcome Snags, what a great feeling it must be to arrive at the club you supported as a kid.

Really hope this kid becomes something special. Don't personally see him being a Lachie Neale type going forward, I think he should be looking at his teammate Zorko for the blueprint of what he could potentially become.

It really feels like we have two Gresham's now to an extent, hopefully he can get a full pre-season and we can see what he can do with a run of good luck, the bloke definitely deserves it.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
D6564E1D-F745-490A-87F1-9636B07A7753.jpeg

Jun 14, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda

St Kilda has flagged more midfield time for new signing Jack Higgins after enticing the Richmond livewire to Moorabbin.

The Saints were one of the big winners out of the AFL trade and free agency period, bringing in Adelaide’s Brad Crouch, Bomber Shaun McKernan and Higgins without losing much in the other direction.

“We’re really happy, we think we’ve brought in a couple of guys who will certainly go straight into our best 22,” Saints list boss James Gallagher said on Friday.
“We’ve retained all the guys from this year in our best 22, so we think we’re a stronger side going into next year plus the development of our younger guys.

“And with Shaun McKernan coming in as well, he’s a good AFL player and he’s exactly what we need to complement our group.

“Overall, we’re really happy and we’ve retained a first-round pick for this year and next year, so they were real priorities for us.”

Higgins played predominantly as a forward in his 43 games at Punt Rd, but Gallagher said the Saints saw the 21-year-old as being able to move into the engine room.

“He’s a talented footballer, Jack, and clearly he’s played his best footy at AFL level as a forward,” he said.

“We really want to promote guys who can play and in a number of different positions.

“He’s got the ability to play close to goal, he’s got a big engine so he can play up the ground as well and win plenty of ball.

“And we certainly believe over the coming years he’ll spend plenty of time in the midfield as well to complement our guys that can play through the midfield in a variety of positions too.”

Richmond agreed to trade the contracted forward to the Saints along with pick 21 and a future fourth-round selection, in exchange for St Kilda’s pick 17 and a future second-round selection.

Originally selected by the Tigers at pick 17 in the 2017 national draft, Higgins managed only 10 AFL games this year but had missed only four games during a sizzling debut season in 2018.

Higgins will join former Richmond teammate Dan Butler in the Saints’ forward line but also holds hopes of earning more midfield time at his new club.

“It’s amazing to join the Saints next year and I really can’t wait to get started,” Higgins said.

“I grew up barracking for the Saints, so it really is a dream come true to represent the club.

“I’m really keen to meet my new teammates and be part of the Saints moving forward, because they’re definitely heading somewhere pretty special.”

Higgins had two rounds of surgery on a brain bleed condition last year which threatened his career, but was cleared to return to the football field for the Tigers this season.

Richmond had high hopes Higgins could return to his best and play a key role for the reigning premiers in 2021, but the 21-year-old informed coach Damien Hardwick of his wish for a fresh start last weekend.

St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said the club was thrilled to have secured Higgins.

“It’s terrific for us to acquire Jack’s services and add another dynamic mid/forward to our list,” Gallagher said.

“Jack has overcome significant challenges at such a young age and it’s a testament to his character for coming out the other side with that same passion.”

Higgins joined former Adelaide midfielder Brad Crouch and Essendon forward Shaun McKernan as St Kilda’s recruits during the trade and free agency period.

Speedster Nick Hind was traded to Essendon in a late deal along with pick 77, with the Saints receiving picks 67 and 74 in return.

Groater

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2006
Bayside
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda has flagged more midfield time for new signing Jack Higgins after enticing the Richmond livewire to Moorabbin.

The Saints were one of the big winners out of the AFL trade and free agency period, bringing in Adelaide’s Brad Crouch, Bomber Shaun McKernan and Higgins without losing much in the other direction.

“We’re really happy, we think we’ve brought in a couple of guys who will certainly go straight into our best 22,” Saints list boss James Gallagher said on Friday.
“We’ve retained all the guys from this year in our best 22, so we think we’re a stronger side going into next year plus the development of our younger guys.

“And with Shaun McKernan coming in as well, he’s a good AFL player and he’s exactly what we need to complement our group.

“Overall, we’re really happy and we’ve retained a first-round pick for this year and next year, so they were real priorities for us.”

Higgins played predominantly as a forward in his 43 games at Punt Rd, but Gallagher said the Saints saw the 21-year-old as being able to move into the engine room.

“He’s a talented footballer, Jack, and clearly he’s played his best footy at AFL level as a forward,” he said.

“We really want to promote guys who can play and in a number of different positions.

“He’s got the ability to play close to goal, he’s got a big engine so he can play up the ground as well and win plenty of ball.

“And we certainly believe over the coming years he’ll spend plenty of time in the midfield as well to complement our guys that can play through the midfield in a variety of positions too.”

Richmond agreed to trade the contracted forward to the Saints along with pick 21 and a future fourth-round selection, in exchange for St Kilda’s pick 17 and a future second-round selection.

Originally selected by the Tigers at pick 17 in the 2017 national draft, Higgins managed only 10 AFL games this year but had missed only four games during a sizzling debut season in 2018.

Higgins will join former Richmond teammate Dan Butler in the Saints’ forward line but also holds hopes of earning more midfield time at his new club.

“It’s amazing to join the Saints next year and I really can’t wait to get started,” Higgins said.

“I grew up barracking for the Saints, so it really is a dream come true to represent the club.

“I’m really keen to meet my new teammates and be part of the Saints moving forward, because they’re definitely heading somewhere pretty special.”

Higgins had two rounds of surgery on a brain bleed condition last year which threatened his career, but was cleared to return to the football field for the Tigers this season.

Richmond had high hopes Higgins could return to his best and play a key role for the reigning premiers in 2021, but the 21-year-old informed coach Damien Hardwick of his wish for a fresh start last weekend.

St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said the club was thrilled to have secured Higgins.

“It’s terrific for us to acquire Jack’s services and add another dynamic mid/forward to our list,” Gallagher said.

“Jack has overcome significant challenges at such a young age and it’s a testament to his character for coming out the other side with that same passion.”

Higgins joined former Adelaide midfielder Brad Crouch and Essendon forward Shaun McKernan as St Kilda’s recruits during the trade and free agency period.

Speedster Nick Hind was traded to Essendon in a late deal along with pick 77, with the Saints receiving picks 67 and 74 in return.
Thanks for that!

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Thanks for posting the article. It's a shame so many footy journos are lazy, this one literally just paraphrased 3 different sources, then quoted them.

More or less just:

Paraphrase Gallagher SEN interview
Quote Gallagher SEN interview
Paraphrase Higgins Saints tweet
Quote Higgins Saints tweet
Quote Gallagher SEN interview
Brief summary of St Kilda draft results

I mean I know there's not much more to say right now, but our clamour to scoop up any info on our footy team means journos can make money for old rope. They should have a look at Tom Morris (ex Saints Media) and Chris Nice (current Saints Media) to see how it should be done. There was (is?) another Saints Media writer whose name I've forgotten who does excellent work too.

Very proud of our media team the last few years!

Edit: I couldn't see the name of the author of that Higgins article - hoping to god it isn't Tom Morris!

Back