List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Alex Witherden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
I haven't followed Witherden closelyat all but I am always a bit skeptical of trade pickups who were previously getting a game but then were squeezed out when their side started to get really good.

Witherden doesn't follow this mold exactly given he played 21 games in 2019 when Brisbane had a break out year, but he had difficulty cracking the team last year when they cemented their position as a good team (HGA noted). Further, his individual stats appears to have been on the decline since 2018.

Can someone more informed than I provide some insight?

I haven't followed Witherden closelyat all but I am always a bit skeptical of trade pickups who were previously getting a game but then were squeezed out when their side started to get really good.

Witherden doesn't follow this mold exactly given he played 21 games in 2019 when Brisbane had a break out year, but he had difficulty cracking the team last year when they cemented their position as a good team (HGA noted). Further, his individual stats appears to have been on the decline since 2018.

Can someone more informed than I provide some insight?

Birchall, Starcievic and another name (escapes me at the minute) took over from Witho. Starc really came into his own this season. Birchall had always been a good distributor- just injury prone AF

Fagan not a fan of his risky kicks in D50 from what I can tell.

Perhaps a tad slow for a young HBF, but our backline doesn’t work on Saad types - we are excellent readers mad interceptors

Brisbane board pre trade was pretty kind on his skill set - reads the play very well, WCE trait required for the backlit

For us - he’ll need to make more a physical impact. I can see he has growth in that body. He’ll take the risks: some will work, some not so much.

Can’t wait to see him in the wings 🦅

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Birchall, Starcievic and another name (escapes me at the minute) took over from Witho. Starc really came into his own this season. Birchall had always been a good distributor- just injury prone AF

Perhaps a tad slow for a young HBF, but our backline doesn’t work on Saad types - we are excellent readers mad interceptors

Brisbane board pre trade was pretty kind on his skill set - reads the play very well, WCE trait required for the backlit

For us - he’ll need to make more a physical impact. I can see he has growth in that body. He’ll take the risks: some will work, some not so much.

The other Ah Chee, Answerth and someone called Hinge who the Bris board seems to rate highly

The other Ah Chee, Answerth and someone called Hinge who the Bris board seems to rate highly
Thank you - Ah Chee is the other 👍🏽

Hinge isn’t that crash hot (imo)and & Answerth is more of a lock down type.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Thank you - Ah Chee is the other 👍🏽

Hinge isn’t that crash hot (imo)and & Answerth is more of a lock down type.
Yeah just going off what I’ve been reading in the Brissy forum.

Ah Chee seems to have had the biggest impact on pushing Witherden out though. Gold Coast should have been playing him in defence all along. Not sure any Ah Chee is much chop in the forwardline

C884E68D-588E-4CD0-9D33-ECBF2F536216.png

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

As far as I can tell, he got a big black mark against his name from Fagan in the 2019 SF against the Giants when he failed to chase down Daniels kicking the winning goal.

(4.45 of those highlights)

Played every game bar one that year up until then. The same the previous year, and the last 9 games straight of his debut year in 2017. Only played 6 games in 2020 so make of that what you will.

Has averaged roughly 20 posessions and 6 marks a game off a half back flank over his career, very consistent form nearly every game.

As for why he was traded...from the man himself....

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
As far as I can tell, he got a big black mark against his name from Fagan in the 2019 SF against the Giants when he failed to chase down Daniels kicking the winning goal.

(4.45 of those highlights)

Played every game bar one that year up until then. The same the previous year, and the last 9 games straight of his debut year in 2017. Only played 6 games in 2020 so make of that what you will.

Has averaged roughly 20 posessions and 6 marks a game off a half back flank over his career, very consistent form nearly every game.

As for why he was traded...from the man himself....

Seems pretty short sighted by Brissie, at least I hope so.

Seems pretty short sighted by Brissie, at least I hope so.
Look that wasn’t a great look (giving up the chase) but that seemed to be the only major blip I saw on field (turnovers not counted part of footy)

Im certain we’ll get the very best out of this kid

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Fantastic gain, absolute moneyball acquisition.

Big body with a serious amount of upside about him.

His current form guide in Player Ratings shows a player on the verge breaking into A grade territory despite only being aged 22. It makes little sense why Brisbane have let him go at all, let alone so cheaply - but very happy to be the beneficiary of their mistake.

Witherden-Progress.jpg

To take this a step further, of all the players exchanged this trade period, only Treloar is rated higher than Witherden.

Played off halfback for the Lions, but there is no reason that he cannot be used higher up the ground - indeed that is where I feel his best position in future will be, making use of his disposal to hit up forward targets.

A case could be made to argue that he is already the second-best outside midfielder on our list after Gaff:

Witherden-OM.jpg

The way I see it, the club haven't procured just a defender that could replace Jetta/Hurn; but a player who can function higher up the ground on the wings that is also fully capable of providing an inside rotation when necessary.

I am a massive backer of him and have been for some time - absolutely stoked that circumstances have provided the opportunity for him to sign with the club. Knows how to find the ball and his disposal is a weapon. Get the impression that he will explode in the right environment and is given the confidence to back his abilities with ball in hand.

Can't help but feel that we have made out like bandits here.

Welcome to the Eagles Alex, may your time in blue and gold be long and successful.

I am a massive backer of him and have been for some time - absolutely stoked that circumstances have provided the opportunity for him to sign with the club. Knows how to find the ball and his disposal is a weapon. Get the impression that he will explode in the right environment and is given the confidence to back his abilities with ball in hand.
Gives me a good warm feeling does this post. Complete with graph and everything 😍

Because you’d be right.

Cannot wait

His current form guide in Player Ratings shows a player on the verge breaking into A grade territory despite only being aged 22. It makes little sense why Brisbane have let him go at all, let alone so cheaply - but very happy to be the beneficiary of their mistake.

View attachment 1011193

To take this a step further, of all the players exchanged this trade period, only Treloar is rated higher than Witherden.

Played off halfback for the Lions, but there is no reason that he cannot be used higher up the ground - indeed that is where I feel his best position in future will be, making use of his disposal to hit up forward targets.

A case could be made to argue that he is already the second-best outside midfielder on our list after Gaff:

View attachment 1011201

The way I see it, the club haven't procured just a defender that could replace Jetta/Hurn; but a player who can function higher up the ground on the wings that is also fully capable of providing an inside rotation when necessary.

Welcome to the Eagles Alex, may your time in blue and gold be long and successful.
!
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 1011193

View attachment 1011201

He's slow and not great defensively, also not great at accounting for his man. These have been the knocks. He's a touch faster than Hurn but in a few years time and as he ages that will be his speed imo.

I do however highly rate him and his kicking. A couple of years more development and not only is he best 22 but could be a top 10-15 player (at club) for us.

He's slow and not great defensively, also not great at accounting for his man.
We’ll get him sorted - not the speed but defensively and accountability. We love a HBFer at West Coast :D

We’ll get him sorted - not the speed but defensively and accountability. We love a HBFer at West Coast :D

We've had 2 of our greatest captains in this mold, we know our HBF shiiiit.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Its crazy that we lose hurn and jetta but then have rotham and Witherden to slot straight in .

Very , very good list management .

If superboot Johnson come on to play afl level footy then we are set for 8-10 years

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Next season we will have one too many best 22 quality defenders then we can fit in with Witherden on the list, so one of Cole, Nelson, Rotham and Witherden is likely to be pushed out with all the defenders fit. Most likely it'll probably be between Nelson and Cole though, since they're the most similar type of players.
This is assuming Sheppard, Barrass, McGovern, Hurn and Duggan are locks, and Jetta already out of the picture. Duggan could spend significant time in the midfield, but obviously he is still mainly a defender.
Considering what he apparently experienced at Brisbane with the competition for spots, I hope that he'll be cope okay with competing for his spot next year since he might not necessarily an automatic selection unless he finds a position elsewhere or if Hurn is rested.

Duggan could spend significant time in the midfield, but obviously he is still mainly a defender.
I'll be really annoyed if Duggan is still played mainly as a defender.

We've played some exceptionally mediocre football for the last 2 years and it's pretty clear we need to revitalise the side. For me, this involves Duggan playing in the middle full time, phasing out Hurn/Redden and even Kennedy throughout the year, stopping with the Allen ruckwork and bringing in Williams a lot more. Shuey to play a lot more outside, kicking a lot more goals than the pitiful 1 he contributed in 2020.

inb4 Duggan lines up on the HBF Round 1...

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I've seen Duggan mentioned a lot but this quote almost seems like he could function as a backup to Elliot Yeo, who we certainly missed in the latter part of the season.

I've seen Duggan mentioned a lot but this quote almost seems like he could function as a backup to Elliot Yeo, who we certainly missed in the latter part of the season.
Yeo is a good chance to be cooked for next season. Recovery has been totally Eagled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back