Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he ? Have a look at the state of our list. I think about 15 other clubs are currently better placed for their next assault at a premiership but each to their own.

Name the clubs, and why specifically you think they're better placed - without listing any clubs that made the majority of their moves to get in premiership contention before 2016.

Tell me how you would have managed the transitional period post 2016 to be in a better position to win a premiership than we are now.

If you're going to be this way, qualify it with some good and proper analysis.

Full stats for his career best season in 2018 for any stat-obsessed lunatics like myself who froth this stuff.

View attachment 1010867
Those are very good, bordering on elite stats for a wingman 😍

2019 Ricky Henderson type numbers in fact

Name the clubs, and why specifically you think they're better placed - without listing any clubs that made the majority of their moves to get in premiership contention before 2016.

Tell me how you would have managed the transitional period post 2016 to be in a better position to win a premiership than we are now.

If you're going to be this way, qualify it with some good and proper analysis.

Richmond - Goes without saying won 3 in 4 and are the favs again going in 2021
Geelong - Window is closing obviously with an ageing team but for the next 2 years they're as good a chance as any outside of Richmond
West Coast - Much like Geelong really, ageing team but list wise they really have all basis covered to be a legit challenger in the next 2 years.
Brisbane Lions- Good mix of experience and youth at the moment and should be in contention for the next few years
Port Adelaide - Much like the Lions with a good blend of experience and youth.
Collingwood - This off season has hurt them with who they've lost and with Pendles and SideArse ageing, but in the short to medium they still have a lot more star power than we do.
GWS- Coach is a massive obstacle but list wise still have lots of A graders and always seem to have a really good draft hand each year to replenish / add to young talent.
Bulldogs- Probably the best young midfield in the competition, also some high ceiling young forwards like Naughton and JUH.
St.Kilda - Building a nice solid list, some good experience and some good youth, fair way off a flag but still substantially closer than us.
Fremantle - Last years draft haul was absolutely massive for them, really young impressive midfield of Cerra, Brayshaw and Seron( I'd love to have any of those 3 on our list especially Cerra or Serong)
Gold Coast- Similar to the Giants years ago the draft concessions have just given them a plethora of young talent who should all come into their peaks at a similar time.
Sydney - Long way off obviously but fully committed to a rebuild post 2018 so have a more advanced young talent than us, also helps when the academy has propped you up somewhat.
Carlton- Really exciting key position players that should be around for years to come assuming Curnow can get fit, add him in with Mckay and Weitering and kill to have any of those on our list. Added nice recruits for the modern game such as Williams, Martin and Saad in the last 12 months to compliment the youth.
Melbourne - Be Surprised if the Dees were to ever salute but I'd still list them closer than us with a top quality backline, elite Ruck and a matchwinner like Petracca. They'd be hoping Ben Brown could help fix their big weakness in the forward 50.

Essendon, Adelaide, North Melbourne are either as far off as us IMO or in Adelaide or North's case probably further.

We just have so many holes from deplorable key position stocks, lack of bonafide match winners.. how many players at us would you consider top 50 in the league ? How many top players do we have that are under 25 ? compare that to other clubs at this point in time. The other issue we have by the time we hopefully plug some of these holes how old are two of our best current players Gunston and Bruest going to be ?

What would I have done differently post 2016 ? Yeah that's a tough question, but I think hindsight is telling us that trading countless assets for Jaeger and Wingard has backfired. if you're going down that path you need to balance it out with a few A grade Free agency hits IMO. I'd probably have gone more aggressive at the rebuild earlier even if it meant bottoming out quicker, if you drafted well then we'd likely have much more talent in the 20-22 age group than we currently have.

I'll concede when you have a decade of dominance though it isn't easy and the competition is designed that way.

Richmond - Goes without saying won 3 in 4 and are the favs again going in 2021
Geelong - Window is closing obviously with an ageing team but for the next 2 years they're as good a chance as any outside of Richmond
West Coast - Much like Geelong really, ageing team but list wise they really have all basis covered to be a legit challenger in the next 2 years.
Brisbane Lions- Good mix of experience and youth at the moment and should be in contention for the next few years
Port Adelaide - Much like the Lions with a good blend of experience and youth.
Collingwood - This off season has hurt them with who they've lost and with Pendles and SideArse ageing, but in the short to medium they still have a lot more star power than we do.
GWS- Coach is a massive obstacle but list wise still have lots of A graders and always seem to have a really good draft hand each year to replenish / add to young talent.
Bulldogs- Probably the best young midfield in the competition, also some high ceiling young forwards like Naughton and JUH.
St.Kilda - Building a nice solid list, some good experience and some good youth, fair way off a flag but still substantially closer than us.
Fremantle - Last years draft haul was absolutely massive for them, really young impressive midfield of Cerra, Brayshaw and Seron( I'd love to have any of those 3 on our list especially Cerra or Serong)
Gold Coast- Similar to the Giants years ago the draft concessions have just given them a plethora of young talent who should all come into their peaks at a similar time.
Sydney - Long way off obviously but fully committed to a rebuild post 2018 so have a more advanced young talent than us, also helps when the academy has propped you up somewhat.
Carlton- Really exciting key position players that should be around for years to come assuming Curnow can get fit, add him in with Mckay and Weitering and kill to have any of those on our list. Added nice recruits for the modern game such as Williams, Martin and Saad in the last 12 months to compliment the youth.
Melbourne - Be Surprised if the Dees were to ever salute but I'd still list them closer than us with a top quality backline, elite Ruck and a matchwinner like Petracca. They'd be hoping Ben Brown could help fix their big weakness in the forward 50.

Essendon, Adelaide, North Melbourne are either as far off as us IMO or in Adelaide or North's case probably further.

We just have so many holes from deplorable key position stocks, lack of bonafide match winners.. how many players at us would you consider top 50 in the league ? How many top players do we have that are under 25 ? compare that to other clubs at this point in time. The other issue we have by the time we hopefully plug some of these holes how old are two of our best current players Gunston and Bruest going to be ?

What would I have done differently post 2016 ? Yeah that's a tough question, but I think hindsight is telling us that trading countless assets for Jaeger and Wingard has backfired. if you're going down that path you need to balance it out with a few A grade Free agency hits IMO. I'd probably have gone more aggressive at the rebuild earlier even if it meant bottoming out quicker, if you drafted well then we'd likely have much more talent in the 20-22 age group than we currently have.

I'll concede when you have a decade of dominance though it isn't easy and the competition is designed that way.
Ok good stuff you started a discussion why don't you move this to this thread https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...nt-discussion-now-continued-for-2020.1225272/ and we can discuss it there. I want to get your thoughts on what you thought at the end of 2016

I like what he brings and with the emergence of Cuz we now have a couple of outside mids that are attacking with where they can run to to receive. Starting to get dangerous on the offence. Starting to come together. I think we are carrying too many inside mids and expect Shiels to only play certain games next season where we need a shutdown. He is the one for me that needs to be managed as has hit his ceiling and starting to have down games.

He was having a yarn w/ Brodie Grundy on IG earlier today, seems like a v good egg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Stephenson and Treloar have got all the headlines, but if I was a Collingwood supported I would be equally pissed off how Phillips has gone from a 22 year old averaging 26 touches on a wing in a losing grand final team and 6th in their B&F to be told that he has no real future at the club in the space of 2yrs. 2019 was also a good year, finishing 7th.

I know Daicos shows promise, but he is know where near what Phillips showed in 2018 and 2019 and although Siddebottom is all class, he can play anywhere on the ground and is 30 in a few months. I feel we got a real steal here. I'm not expecting prime Issac Smith type performances, but a consistent best 22 contributor at pick 65 is a great result.

I saw him do a lot of flashy dumb stuff last year. Not a great fit. Buckley benched him a few times last year which I guessed was about not doing the team thing.

Treloar would have added to midfield depth.l, which I think we need.

Phillips is a steal and good fit although I assume we are paying most of his salary.
Treloar- age, salary, contract term, hamstring injuries catching up, partner- QLD. People have listed Stephenson's problems. Only issue with draft is a slow process unless we nail most picks over 3-5 years.

FFS you lot ....
STAY ON TOPIC

so that Tom Phillips looks ok

He absolutely nails this interview. Got a gem here.

Totally agree..!
Tom Phillips will be a very good pick up for our club on and of the field.

He comes across as a quality person and an honest young man with maturity beyond his age, and with all the right attributes needed for building an maintaining a good culture in our footy club.

Future Captain...! 👍

This nice read also speaks volumes about this young man.

Last edited:
Totally agree..!
Tom Phillips will be a very good pick up for our club on and of the field.

He comes across as a quality person and an honest young man with maturity beyond his age, and with all the right attributes needed for building an maintaining a good culture in our footy club.

Future Captain...! 👍

This nice read also speaks volumes about this young man.

would be ironic if his arrival contributes to spill out CJ

Well done on picking up Tom Phillips. You've got a ripper player
very disappointed at losing him.
Anyone what his contract details are ?
Are the Hawks paying all of Phillips 2021 salary which was his final year at Pies.

May I post in your forum?

You have a fine wingman in Phillips. Fit as a flea, approaching Daisy Thomas levels of last quarter effectiveness. He would be saving us in the last line, tearing forward to snag goals and could go with his direct opponent as well. I feel like he's been squeezed out by Daicos and Sidebottom, and I think you can see the flaw in the thinking there (one being old and the other being a natural half-forward).

Supposedly he's an inaccurate long kick but my feeling is his place in the game plan contributed to his numbers there: I don't think his kicking is a weakness, I think he was often intervening when our mids got over-run and disposing under pressure. His kicking never struck me as a weakness.

Not a blazing star in finals but I don't think he's ever had a mare either, he is a guy who will help you win week in week out with solid fitness and extremely professional outlook. Good luck to him.

would be ironic if his arrival contributes to spill out CJ

Phillips replaces Smith CJ is a long turm replacement for Henderson..
CJ is not going anywhere in my opinion his got a lot of X-Factor which we desperately need in the side, and once he gets it all together he'll be a special player.

May I post in your forum?

You have a fine wingman in Phillips. Fit as a flea, approaching Daisy Thomas levels of last quarter effectiveness. He would be saving us in the last line, tearing forward to snag goals and could go with his direct opponent as well. I feel like he's been squeezed out by Daicos and Sidebottom, and I think you can see the flaw in the thinking there (one being old and the other being a natural half-forward).

Supposedly he's an inaccurate long kick but my feeling is his place in the game plan contributed to his numbers there: I don't think his kicking is a weakness, I think he was often intervening when our mids got over-run and disposing under pressure. His kicking never struck me as a weakness.

Not a blazing star in finals but I don't think he's ever had a mare either, he is a guy who will help you win week in week out with solid fitness and extremely professional outlook. Good luck to him.
Cheers mate. Fair wrap.

Yeah we just lost Hendo and Izzy. Both fine wingmen. And Scully is regressing at a rate of knots. Was a key need for us.

Downie and Day will be the kids that get a run through there too.

All the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back