Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That has zilch to do with it but thank you for your unneeded contribution as usual.

I'm sure you'll love the passion your son will have/has for his club, the Richmond Tigers.
I think my father supported the Bulldogs but he never spoke of it & hardly watched the sport. 🤣😂😅🥳👍

CA102257-F8FF-4164-974C-D620F00308C6.gif

Richmond has easily the most number of fans now. The Eagles would be right up there too. The Pies used to have the most but don't have nearly as many these days. So many of dropped off because of our modern history of mediocrity. So the sons and daughters of Collingwood fans tend to barrack for other clubs these days. Lots of people don't follow footy anymore because of the alternative entertainment.

Look no further than our average home crowds where we've topped the league three years running.

We also passed 100k members for the third year running.

Richmond has easily the most number of fans now. The Eagles would be right up there too. The Pies used to have the most but don't have nearly as many these days. So many of dropped off because of our modern history of mediocrity. So the sons and daughters of Collingwood fans tend to barrack for other clubs these days. Lots of people don't follow footy anymore because of the alternative entertainment.

Wouldn’t support for Collingwood have dropped off in the 90s? Was a pretty ordinary decade for the club all in all, basically a laughing stock in the mid to late 90s. Lots of finals campaigns under Malthouse after that though so I’m not sure why the Pies wouldn’t be close.

You went 3-15 and avoided the wooden spoon by % only in 1941. You withdrew from the comp in 1942 because... wait for it... your fans couldn’t travel easily to Melbourne for away games. I didn’t realise the softness of Geelong fans I witnessed after the 2017 qualifying final - complaining about crowd noise - extended that far back.

Now, if only the Germans had laid down so easily...
You're coming across as an absolute classless bellend.

Nice try at being a social analyst but wrong.
So you'd let your kids, if you have or will have any, support another club? You're passionate enough about your club to go on a footy forum so I'd doubt you would.
Agree. If a kid doesn't get around his old man's team it's confirmation he thinks his old man is a wrong'un not of sound mind.

Well Collingwood's out of this one.

Ex-Collingwood members!!!! If you want to be part of a club that isn't run like a fiefdom. If you want to be part of a club that's run competently and professionally. If you want to be part of a club that treats its members and players with respect and isn't always telling them bare faced lies. If you want to be a member of the biggest club in the land, like you were until 5 or 6 years ago. There's always room on the Tiger train. Welcome aboard.

Eagles supporters need not apply. We're not big on entitled whingers, so you wouldn't fit in.

Ex-Collingwood members!!!! If you want to be part of a club that isn't run like a fiefdom. If you want to be part of a club that's run competently and professionally. If you want to be part of a club that treats its members and players with respect and isn't always telling them bare faced lies. If you want to be a member of the biggest club in the land, like you were until 5 or 6 years ago. There's always room on the Tiger train. Welcome aboard.

Eagles supporters need not apply. We're not big on entitled whingers, so you wouldn't fit in.
You don’t need any more fly by night, bandwagon, flavour of the month supporters - you’ve got enough already.

You don’t need any more fly by night, bandwagon, flavour of the month supporters - you’ve got enough already.
Richmond had over 80k even before we'd won the premiership in 2017.
But if you're insisting that Collingwood supporters are fly-by-night bandwagoners, I won't argue.

After watching how Collingwood supporters have been behaving lately, maybe the consistent home and away seasons have masked a supporter base thats low in resilience and have been riding one bandwagon till a few wheels fell off?

Richmond doubled their membership by 2013 (1st final in 12 years) by 2018 the dam wall broke. The support was always there, but the supporters NEVER trusted the administration cause it was ineptly run by morons before Gary March, Brandon Gale and Steven Wright came along.

Maybe instead of passing judgement, learn off of Richmond's rags to riches story because its your own in reverse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching how Collingwood supporters have been behaving lately, maybe the consistent home and away seasons have masked a supporter base thats low in resilience and have been riding one bandwagon till a few wheels fell off?

Richmond doubled their membership by 2013 (1st final in 12 years) by 2018 the dam wall broke. The support was always there, but the supporters NEVER trusted the administration cause it was ineptly run by morons before Gary March, Brandon Gale and Steven Wright came along.

Maybe instead of passing judgement, learn off of Richmond's rags to riches story because its your own in reverse.
Collingwood supporters are low in resilience? I suggest you do a little historical research. We’ve been put through heaps of adversity and heartbreak.
We’ll be right, because we always will be. That’s who we are.

Collingwood supporters are low in resilience? I suggest you do a little historical research. We’ve been put through heaps of adversity and heartbreak.
We’ll be right, because we always will be. That’s who we are.
Your heartbreak is 'damn we've lost another grand final". That's hardly heartbreak becsuse every year you are making finals and every year you are a chance.

2017 and a Grand Final win later

Then we became a chance. Try genuinely going through 13 coaches and 100s of list changes for nothing better than a few spoons and 9th place finishes.

The fact you think losing a grand final builds resilience shows how disillusioned the supporter base is accustomed to success. Melbourne, Dogs, Tigers, Dockers, Swans (until 05), Lions (01), Cats (07) all just had no hope, full stop. Its far worse than losing a Grand Final, just never being there to begin with. Being so far removed from the conversation that you don't even bother. Collingwood supporters go through a different sort of pain, but its always filled with hope.

Issue here is that Richmonds period of domination will see a new generation of young kids choose Richmond as their club. Richmond has basically ensured that it will stay a big club for decades yo come. If Richmond wins another one or two flags in the next 2 or 3 years the benefits they will derive from growing the base will be enormous.

Your heartbreak is 'damn we've lost another grand final". That's hardly heartbreak becsuse every year you are making finals and every year you are a chance.

2017 and a Grand Final win later

Then we became a chance. Try genuinely going through 13 coaches and 100s of list changes for nothing better than a few spoons and 9th place finishes.

The fact you think losing a grand final builds resilience shows how disillusioned the supporter base is accustomed to success. Melbourne, Dogs, Tigers, Dockers, Swans (until 05), Lions (01), Cats (07) all just had no hope, full stop. Its far worse than losing a Grand Final, just never being there to begin with. Being so far removed from the conversation that you don't even bother. Collingwood supporters go through a different sort of pain, but its always filled with hope.
That’s me done - no way I can respond to such incoherent ramblings.

That’s me done - no way I can respond to such incoherent ramblings.
Look no further than a Ned Guy interview or Nathan Buckley Tweet for incoherent rambling. Im glad you are in football pain right now and hope the McGuire/Buckley era continues. Long may the Richmond era of dominance on and off the field continue as we dance on your black and white grave :)

You must have a short memory champ.

From the mid eighties, The Tiger Train was a trainwreck for about 30 years.
Went through about a dozen coaches etc.

A bit of humility wouldn't hurt.

Enjoy your current success while it lasts though.

I'm aware of Australia's war history but wouldn't you think if the Germans were defeated in 1939-40 that maybe, just maybe, the rest of WW2 might not have panned out the way it did? Do you think if the Axis powers were defeated by mid-1940 that Japan would sign up as allies of the Axis powers in September of that year? Do you think the Japanese would have attacked the British Empire in Singapore and other places in Asia if the the Allies had defeated Germany within a year?
i only found out yesterday that japans navy provided security to australia in ww1 patrolling our oceans for us whilst our ships were occupied in europe

as an avid military junkie the fact i only just discovered this smacks of 1984 history rewriting

damn i was just about to microwave my membership and have a ton of manure delivered to lathlain

in other news:

84D3B2CB-1A98-4CA3-ADFB-8C30358A0D3E.jpeg

You must have a short memory champ.

From the mid eighties, The Tiger Train was a trainwreck for about 30 years.
Went through about a dozen coaches etc.
I agree! VFL history pre 1990 is just as important as VFL/AFL history since.

A bit of humility wouldn't hurt.
I’m sorry, call me racist, but you’re just not welcome on board.
Ex Collingwood members though........

Enjoy your current success while it lasts though.
Thanks 👍
I’ll do my best

It is Collingwood, it has always been Collingwood. Our supporters are feral ... until we start losing. To assume West Coast is to assume most West Australians follow West Coast, I doubt that, only this year have they topped 100k members and their supporters were allowed at matches. Collingwood supporters are all one-eyed, proud and turn up to games even when they are down. Through the years a lot of my mates have been proud and loud Magpie supporters, always a pain in the ass and the first ones to buy you a beer.

Back