Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Bedendo

AFL Club Focus

What should the Western Bulldogs prioritise this off-season?

• Getting more draft points to match a bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Getting an early pick before a bid comes for JUH

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs club focus thread
Pick 4 or 6 most likely for a bid. I don't believe Adelaide will be consider doing it at 1 and North probably have a little nod to not do so. Swans have their own top 10 NGA and may not be inclined to do it. So that leaves Hawks 50/50, Suns (only to gain more time) or Essendon The most likely to bid. In which case dogs wont care.

As Wooden Spooners it should be our right to take who we believe is the best player in the draft at pick 1. Because of the VFL's BS NGA rort, we are denied that right.

I, along with most Crows supporters I talk to want our club to grow some balls and do the correct thing, bid on the best player in the draft at pick 1 and I hope we do. No one I speak to cares about the PR status of recruiting the player who is named with the first pick, it's BS, make kissed on the dick Bulldogs pay for JUH.

As Wooden Spooners it should be our right to take who we believe is the best player in the draft at pick 1. Because of the VFL's BS NGA rort, we are denied that right.

I, along with most Crows supporters I talk to want our club to grow some balls and do the correct thing, bid on the best player in the draft at pick 1 and I hope we do. No one I speak to cares about the PR status of recruiting the player who is named with the first pick, it's BS, make kissed on the dick Bulldogs pay for JUH.
If he’s 1 on your board you should bid. JUH is as much hype as anything. He’s obviously very good and we have lucked out but you can make a very good argument for McDonald, Thilthorpe, Hollands (pre injury) being the better players. JUH is a story for the media to write about.

I'd say it was pretty ballsy getting GWS future first last year so they could move up 2 spots in the draft so you didn't bid on Green. I think of any clubs Adelaide seem to be prepared to try to leverage bidding on other teams NGA players to their own advantage.

In this case there is nothing really to gain from doing it which is perhaps why you seem to be a bit upset?

Good idea. Your club has a great reputation at the moment, a futile bid to spite another club and take the shine of your number 1 pick sounds like a very Adelaide 2020 thing to do.

you realise that’s not the point of the conversation?

the point is, the Dogs don’t have enough points in this years draft should Adelaide bid using the number 1 pick. It doesn’t really matter is a team from 2 (or is it 4?) onwards bids for him, they’ve got the points to cover it

sometimes this forum is painful

No s**t....

I know they can match anything past bid 1.....

Could be a really canny move by the Crows to bid on him. Get the bulldogs to take him and he is pick one in the draft, with all the pressure bestowed upon it. Adelaides next pick has less pressure on him.

Yeah those bastard Vic NGA players like Liam Henry and Lachie Jones sure make me mad!!

As he is close to the consensus number one player in the draft you would expect the Crows would be likely to bid on him at 1. If the Dogs don't have the points to cover the bid then they simply go into deficit next year. If North don't trade out of pick 2 then I reckon their is only a 1% chance that they don't put a bid in for him. If I was a Dogs supporter I would consider it a bonus if he isn't bid on at the first pick.

As he is close to the consensus number one player in the draft you would expect the Crows would be likely to bid on him at 1. If the Dogs don't have the points to cover the bid then they simply go into deficit next year. If North don't trade out of pick 2 then I reckon their is only a 1% chance that they don't put a bid in for him. If I was a Dogs supporter I would consider it a bonus if he isn't bid on at the first pick.
Within recruiting circles he’s not far and away the consensus number 1. He’s in the conversation no doubt.

Within recruiting circles he’s not far and away the consensus number 1. He’s in the conversation no doubt.
No 2.
Logan McDonald is being talked about as number 1, given he's already playing (and performing) against men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodo is sniffing for pick 1 I reckon.

That’s nice of him.

Pick 6 is the worst value for money pick in the draft though. It’s really not much different to pick 10 in this pool and in reality will be pick 8.

I think GC has what we want and would be willing to part with their 2020 entire draft hand + their 2021 first.

Considering they probably only use one pick and can prelist their NT selections for nothing.

I don’t think North will be interested in any deal from Essendon unless it involved 3 x first rounders or 2 x 2020 FR picks and their 2021 R1 with some swaps.

Pick 5 is alot more valuable than Pick 6 this year. We are absolutely guaranteed one of McDonald, Thilthorpe, Phillips, DGB or Hollands there.

Last edited:
That’s nice of him.

Pick 6 is the worst value for money pick in the draft though. It’s really not much different to pick 10 in this pool and in reality will be pick 8.

I think GC has what we want and would be willing to part with their 2020 entire draft hand + their 2021 first.

Considering they probably only use one pick and can prelist their NT selections for nothing.

I don’t think North will be interested in any deal from Essendon unless it involved 3 x first rounders or 2 x 2020 FR picks and their 2021 R1 with some swaps.

Pick 5 is alot more valuable than Pick 6 this year. We are absolutely guaranteed one of McDonald, Thilthorpe, Phillips, DGB or Hollands there.
Pick 6 is also guaranteed to get one of those players. There’s zero chance JUH isn’t bid on before 5.

Pick 6 is also guaranteed to get one of those players. There’s zero chance JUH isn’t bid on before 5.

Pick 6 isn’t guaranteed to get one of them.

pick 6 won’t then be pick 6 will it once the Dogs jump up?

McDonald, Thilthorpe, Phillips, DGB and Hollands = 5 players. + JUH = 6 players

If JUH gets a bid, Pick 6 = Pick 7

That Essendon pick misses out.

Hamish Ogilvie has a history of bidding on players in line with his ratings if they're available so the only reason I could see him not bidding on Jamarra would be he doesn't rate him the best player in this draft, can't see the fact it's pick 1 making one iota of a difference to him.

Is 0 reason to not bid at 1 when hes always being taken by the dogs and can wipe them out this draft and push them back next year
We really won’t get pushed back far as we’re only just short of points to match a bid at1. We will just swap firsts with someone for next year so the deficit comes off a second rounder if it’s an issue.

Hamish Ogilvie has a history of bidding on players in line with his ratings if they're available so the only reason I could see him not bidding on Jamarra would be he doesn't rate him the best player in this draft, can't see the fact it's pick 1 making one iota of a difference to him.
If he’s 1 on your board you should do. Us getting the number 1 pick after the trade period we’ve just and a finals finish is a hell of story to sell our fans.

Is 0 reason to not bid at 1 when hes always being taken by the dogs and can wipe them out this draft and push them back next year
Tell that to your marketing team.

*drum rolls* "With Pick 1 we select.... actually, we made a bid on JUH and they have matched immediately, and now we have Pick 2. How excitement."

If Crows bid with Pick 1 will laugh.

Tell that to your marketing team.

*drum rolls* "With Pick 1 we select.... actually, we made a bid on JUH and they have matched immediately, and now we have Pick 2. How excitement."

If Crows bid with Pick 1 will laugh.
You'll laugh and the Crows' supporters will applaud.

You'll laugh and the Crows' supporters will applaud.
Why will Crows fans celebrate their club relegating their first pick?

Back