Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Wright's comments that we need a ruck, hence the Preuss interest and (this one may be misremembered) that Big Boy is our best ruck do suggest there's more to play out than simply Cegs in the middle, Big Boy down back.

Would love to see what everyone thinks is our best 22 is going into the 2021 season. This is what I think:
B: Hardwick - Hartigan - Greaves
HB: Day - Frost - Scimshaw
C: Shiels - Mitchell - Phillips
HF: Impey - Gunston - Wingard
F: Burgoyne - Lewis - Breust
R: McEvoy - O'Meara -Worpel
I: Moore Hanrahan Cousins Jiath

I've excluded Patton, Scully, O'Brien and Ceglar. In my opinion, they are either too injury prone to rely on or just past their best and could be even worse next year. Could also slot in Pick 4, Pick 21 depending on if they are ready for senior footy.
There are so many holes in this team, including the ruck position where Big Boy may struggle to be the sole ruck - but anything is better than Ceglar in my opinion. Also there is a clear lack of small pressure forwards as Breust comes to the end of his career over the next few years.
Keen to hear other peoples thoughts.

‘just 5 survivors from the last 2016 game 6 including sicily. Just 4 years later. not rebuilding? 2016 game had 5 survivors from 2008 grand final. 7 years later

I'm just praying over the next 2-3 years we find ourselves a quality key position defender, at least 1 quality key position forward and a key position ruck. I can't ever remember our key position stocks being this poor and I followed some grim times in the late 90s and mid 2000s.

you didn’t appreciate Jason Taylor?

Wright's comments that we need a ruck, hence the Preuss interest and (this one may be misremembered) that Big Boy is our best ruck do suggest there's more to play out than simply Cegs in the middle, Big Boy down back.
Preuss was to partner or compete with Cegs. If he came across I’d almost bet McEvoy would have hung them up.

Can Liam Shiels play on a HBF? I reckon he could and might prolong his career and give Finn a chance on ball.

Completely disagree regarding Frawley and Hartigan. Hartigan wasn't getting picked by the spooners and Frawley was serviceable to decent throughout the season.

Really pleased with Phillips though.
Sorry mate, Hartigan played every game after his suspension except one which was a mass 'manage' or omit from Adelaide. Hartigan was managed.

Gonna break a few hearts and say that BB ain’t gonna be leading ruck again next year. He’s just finished 4th in the BnF playing in defence and we’re severely lacking in this area with 2 major retirements and an ACL. Further to that, they didn’t think his body could handle a 17 game season in ruck, he won’t be back doing a 22. Love him or hate him, it’s Ceglar or bust.
Wrighty said on one of the podcasts that they see BB as our number 1 ruck going into next year.

If McEvoy is so cooked as many on here say then why did hawks deny a trade to send him to the dogs ?? Wouldn’t it of been smart
To get some value before he retires next year like many of you here expect ?

Wrighty said on one of the podcasts that they see BB as our number 1 ruck going into next year.
Im reading it as a strategy to share the load so if we were to be finals bound, the older rucks would be there fresher than otherwise.
Is it a coincidence out threepeat came during the sub rule when we would invariably sub a ruck for a runner in the last quarter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below based on exposed (good, bad and/or indifferent) 2020 form. BigBoy and Hardwick stay down back mainly due to losing Frawley, Stratton & Sicily. Fwd line is very good, if provided with opportunities?? So it all rests with our mids??? Hopefully Chad spends more time on ball than fwd with Impey also rolling through the middle? Ceglar needs to extract a digit as we can't expect Bigboy to carry us again!!

FB: Hardwick – Hartigan - McEvoy

HB: Day –Frost - Scrimshaw

C:Phillips - Mitchell – Scully

HF: Gunston -OBrien– Breust

FF: Worpel – Patton – Impey

R: Ceglar - O'meara – Wingard

IC: Cousins -Shiels - Burgoyne - Lewis

EMERG: - Moore - Greaves - Morrison - Hanrahan - Howe

Long term Injury: Sicily.

Hopefully the VFL or whatever it is called gives Reeves, Jeka, Kosi, Macginness, Jiath, a block of games to impress??

I'd be confident playing Hartley instead of McEvoy. He can't do what Siss can, but Harts can kick it just as far. Can come in handy for clearing the opposition zone out of defence.

O’Brien is a good chance of playing in defence next year if Patton and Lewis are healthy. Patton, Lewis and Gunston as the three tall forwards.

If CJ and Greaves can hold down spots in defence, it might finally allow Hardwick to play as a small forward.

All comes down to whether Clarko sees him as a defender or a ruckman doesn’t it.

He is a better ruck than he's defender but that's not to say he isn't a decent defender. I'd rather see him ruck though because all Clarkson was trying to achieve was shoehorn the average Ceglar into the 22.

If McEvoy is so cooked as many on here say then why did hawks deny a trade to send him to the dogs ?? Wouldn’t it of been smart
Hawks denied a trade?

You may want to consider that if no other ruck man is available, you don’t allow your list to to only have 2 ruckman on it with any exposed form at AFL level unless at least one of them is a gun.

Ceglar, Brooksby and Reeves is not a strong ruck group.

What makes you think it played out that way?

Much more likely that we asked him & he said no, then when publicly asked we didn't hang him out to dry like Collingwood has done with their players - instead, we said that we weren't interested (because he'd have to agree to it anyway & why create public disharmony?).

Yes - definitely would've been smart to extract any value out of a trade that we could but in the end, it wasn't something we could achieve without his agreement.

Im reading it as a strategy to share the load so if we were to be finals bound, the older rucks would be there fresher than otherwise.
Is it a coincidence out threepeat came during the sub rule when we would invariably sub a ruck for a runner in the last quarter?
Yes, massive coincidence.

That side would've won premierships with any number of stupid rules - we certainly didn't win premierships because of stupid rules.

Hawks denied a trade?

You may want to consider that if no other ruck man is available, you don’t allow your list to to only have 2 ruckman on it with any exposed form at AFL level unless at least one of them is a gun.

Ceglar, Brooksby and Reeves is not a strong ruck group.
Well they are probably planning on playing ceglar as the number 1 ruck so it’s not like McEvoy is going to get major minutes in the ruck so he Is pretty much excluded Out from the ruck group anyway.

What makes you think it played out that way?

Much more likely that we asked him & he said no, then when publicly asked we didn't hang him out to dry like Collingwood has done with their players - instead, we said that we weren't interested (because he'd have to agree to it anyway & why create public disharmony?).

Yes - definitely would've been smart to extract any value out of a trade that we could but in the end, it wasn't something we could achieve without his agreement.
Yeah that is a possibility.

Well they are probably planning on playing ceglar as the number 1 ruck so it’s not like McEvoy is going to get major minutes in the ruck so he Is pretty much excluded Out from the ruck group anyway.
And so what happens if Ceglar gets niggles like he did this year?

we’d just be stuck with Brooksby.

And so what happens if Ceglar gets niggles like he did this year?

we’d just be stuck with Brooksby.
O’Brien/Mitch Lewis could pinch hit in the ruck until ceglar comes back from his niggle injury. Not like Brooksby can do any worse then ceglar, at least he won’t take his eye off the ball in every ruck contest.

I'd be confident playing Hartley instead of McEvoy. He can't do what Siss can, but Harts can kick it just as far. Can come in handy for clearing the opposition zone out of defence.

My team was based on form of which McEvoy is a head of Hartley. We also seen that if our mids are on top, they pressure the oppo mids and bring McEvoy into play with intercept marking. The key is can our mids remaining on top for extended time in a game???? Suspect that Hartley will get his time and agree from what we seen Hartley kicking is very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back