11. Sydney
12. Fremantle
13. Collingwood
14. Gold Coast
15. Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. North Melbourne
18. Essendon
I don’t mind playing in a grand final but losing to Richmond giving them a three peat and 4 in 5 years would suck arse.

1. Brisbane
2. Richmond
3. Port Adelaide
4. Western Bulldogs
5. St Kilda
6. Geelong
7. West Coast
8. Melbourne
9. Collingwood
10. Gold Coast
11. Carlton
12. Fremantle
13. GWS
14. Sydney
15. Adelaide
16. Hawthorn
17. North Melbourne
18. Essendon

A bit of an early ladder. Fixture plays a big role in ladder positioning so I think that my official one will be after the fixture is released. Even then, we don't know whether it will stay that way given what happened with COVID-19.

1. Geelong
2. St Kilda
3. Richmond
4. Brisbane
5. Port Adelaide
6. Melbourne
7. West Coast
8. Fremantle
----------------------------
9. Carlton
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Essendon
12. GWS
13. Gold Coast
14. Hawthorn
15. Collingwood
16. Sydney
17. Adelaide
18. North Melbourne

Geelong 18-4
Richmond 17-5
Brisbane 16-6
Port Adelaide 16-6
Western bulldogs 14-8
West coast 13-9
St Kilda 12-10
Carlton 12-10
——————
GWS-11-11
Melbourne 10-12
Gold Coast 10-12
Fremantle 9-13
Sydney 8-14
Collingwood 7-15
Essendon 6-16
Hawthorn 6-16
Adelaide 5-17
North Melbourne 3-19

Love how we add Cameron, Higgins and I. Smith, and everyone has us 5-8.

Same prediction ladders every year, lol - same outcome. Richmond and Geelong had no home ground advantage this year and played off in a Grand Final. Odd that there are those who think either of us could get worse next year.

Each to their own though :)

Love how we add Cameron, Higgins and I. Smith, and everyone has us 5-8

Same prediction ladders every year, lol - same outcome. Richmond and Geelong had no home ground advantage this year and played off in a Grand Final. Odd that there are those who think either of us could get worse next year.

I agree I don’t know how teams plan to defend Cameron and Hawkins especially port

100%!! Geelong’s side next season will be the strongest in the comp..a lot stronger than the last few seasons... they won’t lose a home game and will win 80% of their other Victorian games...Richmond at the MCG will be their only loss in Melbourne.

I can see Dangerfield playing a lot more forward, especially with the emergence of guys like Cam Guthrie and Menegola as elite midfielders...can see a parfitt & Miers going to another level as well..

higgins will be an incredible pick up...he will push AA selection playing as a midfielder at the cats....

good luck to any side trying to stop a forward line of Hawkins, Cameron & Dangerfield as well.

To win the flag, they will have to find a way to beat the Tigers at the ‘G, which is nearly impossible these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladder positions, post finals 2021

(P) Geelong (so hungry, one of the best systems, potent all over, unbeatable when on. BUT: Can they avoid the psychological effect of choking?)

(GF) Port Adelaide (will suck the life out of teams with the forward pressure and their young forwards are deadly. BUT: do they have enough up front to take the final step?)

(PF) St Kilda (stronger belief, better use of Hill, more clearances, less inconsistency. BUT: Have other teams worked out how to shut down their close to goal free scoring?)

(PF) Brisbane (less home advantage plus not convinced by their trading, any improvement comes from their kids. BUT: Can another year of finals experience harden them to improve when it counts?)

(SF) Western (stronger but still a spine too weak to beat the best. BUT: They only just scraped into the 8 in 2020, will Treloar make that much difference when the Bulldogs' midfield was already their better area by far?)

(SF) Richmond (not as hungry anymore, lose a couple of vital matches and bow out early from finals. BUT: Can their system and muscle memory keep them winning all the way to the end?)

(EF) Melbourne (still flakey but with quality down back in the middle and now up front, they'll win more of the close ones. BUT: Will their coaching let them down again?)

(EF) West Coast (injuries continue to cruel them. BUT: If they keep their guns on the field, who can stop them?)

------------------------

Fremantle (most promising young coach in the league, several excellent young talents and one of the elite players of the comp, they'll keep rising. BUT: are their young players ready for the next step up?)

Gold Coast (so much elite talent, if Rowell & stars stay on the park, expect to be more competitive. BUT: see Fremantle)

Carlton (strengthened on key areas but still a squad with many holes. BUT: If their young mids and forwards can help Cripps out more, how far can they go?)

GWS (they will continue to take a step backwards with further player turnover, and doubts remain about their coaching. BUT: Have they got enough character to avoid bottoming out?)

North (Stephenson has the potential to light them up and their youngsters look very promising, but it starts now. BUT: Will their next coach have what it takes to right the ship?)

Adelaide (while the PTSD in their squad remains progress is negligible, but they've got a nice little squad to kick off the rebuild. BUT: Will the youth wait for the establishment to just hand them control of the team?)

Essendon (mass coaching buy out from key players burned their 2020 season and will require a reset before progress. BUT: Will their star-studded midfield be able to make up for the club's other considerable shortcomings?)

Collingwood (they were looking wobbly before their catastrophic trade period, player buy in seems doubtful. BUT: Can JDG put the club on his back as he's done so often, AND can CFC forge an "us against the world" spirit that galvanises the team successfully?)

Sydney (Hickey won't make much difference, their style doesn't suit modern footy. BUT: does their sheer quality all over the field and in the box give them something more?)

Hawthorn (they were feeble this year: what's changed? BUT: Does master coach Clarko have one more trick up his sleeve?)

Last edited:
Richmond won't finish 1st, we've learnt from 2018, we will aim to peak around September and that can mean we start the first half slowly and will likely drop a few winnable games as we do every year. 3rd-4th is more likely.

Cats back in Geelong with their additions will be a very hard to beat home and away side, they are my tip my 1st.

Brisbane should be very strong and improve.

West Coast to bounce back and finish 3rd.

Tigers round out the 4.

Port Adelaide I feel slightly overachieved in 2020, with a harder draw and a more difficult fixture I think they drop to 5th or 6th.

The Dogs are my next, also in that 5th-6th range.

Then there's probably 6-8 sides fighting it out for that last 2 spots in the 8.

Bottom 4 probably a variance of North, Crows, Hawks and Swans.

"everyone has us 5-8"
I just read the 4 comments above yours and everyone except one person had you 1st.

"everyone has us 5-8"
I just read the 4 comments above yours and everyone except one person had you 1st.

Try reading the whole thread rather than just 4 comments, lol - there's 3 on this page alone

1. Port Adelaide
2. Geelong
3. Brisbane
4. Richmond

5. Bulldogs
6. West Coast
7. St Kilda

8. Melbourne
9. Carlton
10. Gold Coast
11. Fremantle
12. Collingwood
13. GWS

14. Hawthorn
15. Sydney
16. Adelaide
17. Essendon
18. North Melbourne

So many permutations and possibilities:
- a number of clubs made acquisitions in the trade period that improve their best 22 on paper
- the advent of pre season injuries to key players
- the abandonment of hubs and teams returning to playing at home grounds etc
- the return to 20-minute quarters
- the new VFL set up will help the development of kids and battle test player’s compared to the rubbish scratch matches

Should be some healthy completion next year and a decent log jam between 6 and 12

Try reading the whole thread rather than just 4 comments, lol - there's 3 on this page alone
As you requested, I did, and found that 44 people have Geelong in the top 4. With only 145 posts in this thread, and probably half of them ladder predictions, Id say you are just looking for something to complain about. Case closed.

1. Richmond
2. Geelong
3. Brisbane
4. WC
5. WB
6. Port
7. St Kilda
8. Carlton
9. GWS
10. Fremantle
11. Melbourne
12. Gold Coast
13. Collingwood
14. Sydney
15. Essendon
16. Hawthorn
17. Adelaide
18. NM

Gets hard after the top 4.

As you requested, I did, and found that 44 people have Geelong in the top 4. With only 145 posts in this thread, and probably half of them ladder predictions, Id say you are just looking for something to complain about. Case closed.

So if we extrapolate that, that would mean if half of 145 is 72-73, then there would be 28-29 people who didn't have them Top 4, correct?

Doesn't matter anyway, was more of an offhand comment than anything. The fact you chose to go through and actually look at all the comments, means you're worrying far too much about what my club is up to - when you should really be more concerned about what is happening with yours.

It was more incredulity on my part. I literally have nothing to complain about, as I couldn't be happier with where the Cats are at right now.

As you said though, either way, case closed

So if we extrapolate that, that would mean if half of 145 is 72-73, then there would be 28-29 people who didn't have them Top 4, correct?

Doesn't matter anyway, was more of an offhand comment than anything. The fact you chose to go through and actually look at all the comments, means you're worrying far too much about what my club is up to - when you should really be more concerned about what is happening with yours.

It was more incredulity on my part. I literally have nothing to complain about, as I couldn't be happier with where the Cats are at right now.

As you said though, either way, case closed
Youre reading too far into the fact Ive simply disproven what you said. You were finding a way to complain in a typical Geelong sense by claiming that 'everyone' was saying something, when I proved it was actually way less than half. Me briefly looking over something to back up what Im saying doesnt mean I am worrying about what Geelong is doing..it has nothing to do with the Geelong football club lol

north to finish bottom is a pretty big call for a lot of people to make. last time that happened was before the whitlam government.
I can see why people are saying it. A terrible year, with the only slight positives right at the start, and Brown and Higgins gone. Its definitely not a difficult case to make.

But the circumstances of 2020 were unique (and hopefully stay so).
A bad run in a hub was more likely to sap morale than a normal bad year or a good or mediocre run in a hub, and no home advantage games to break the cycle. As it turns out, the coach may have battling himself along the way. Plus, a pretty bad Queensland record over a long time.
Zeibell and Cunnington may as well be regarded as fresh recruits in 2021 they played so little, others missed sizeable chunks as well (all clubs get injuries, some may have had worse than North but our depth was never that strong to begin with so losing keys affected things a lot), the loss of Thompson really hurt stability at the back, and Brown was so out of sorts that while his loss will be a big one based on 2019 and prior - it is not that big based on 2020 output.

So, there are reasons to think North can avoid the bottom as well. A spoon is a realistic proposition. As is climbing back to a far from acceptable, but less embarrassing, 12th place or so.

Last edited:
Ladder positions, post finals 2021

(P) Geelong (so hungry, one of the best systems, potent all over, unbeatable when on. BUT: Can they avoid the psychological effect of choking?)

(GF) Port Adelaide (will suck the life out of teams with the forward pressure and their young forwards are deadly. BUT: do they have enough up front to take the final step?)

(PF) St Kilda (stronger belief, better use of Hill, more clearances, less inconsistency. BUT: Have other teams worked out how to shut down their close to goal free scoring?)

(PF) Brisbane (less home advantage plus not convinced by their trading, any improvement comes from their kids. BUT: Can another year of finals experience harden them to improve when it counts?)

(SF) Western (stronger but still a spine too weak to beat the best. BUT: They only just scraped into the 8 in 2020, will Treloar make that much difference when the Bulldogs' midfield was already their better area by far?)

(SF) Richmond (not as hungry anymore, lose a couple of vital matches and bow out early from finals. BUT: Can their system and muscle memory keep them winning all the way to the end?)

(EF) Melbourne (still flakey but with quality down back in the middle and now up front, they'll win more of the close ones. BUT: Will their coaching let them down again?)

(EF) West Coast (injuries continue to cruel them. BUT: If they keep their guns on the field, who can stop them?)

------------------------

Fremantle (most promising young coach in the league, several excellent young talents and one of the elite players of the comp, they'll keep rising. BUT: are their young players ready for the next step up?)

Gold Coast (so much elite talent, if Rowell & stars stay on the park, expect to be more competitive. BUT: see Fremantle)

Carlton (strengthened on key areas but still a squad with many holes. BUT: If their young mids and forwards can help Cripps out more, how far can they go?)

GWS (they will continue to take a step backwards with further player turnover, and doubts remain about their coaching. BUT: Have they got enough character to avoid bottoming out?)

North (Stephenson has the potential to light them up and their youngsters look very promising, but it starts now. BUT: Will their next coach have what it takes to right the ship?)

Adelaide (while the PTSD in their squad remains progress is negligible, but they've got a nice little squad to kick off the rebuild. BUT: Will the youth wait for the establishment to just hand them control of the team?)

Essendon (mass coaching buy out from key players burned their 2020 season and will require a reset before progress. BUT: Will their star-studded midfield be able to make up for the club's other considerable shortcomings?)

Collingwood (they were looking wobbly before their catastrophic trade period, player buy in seems doubtful. BUT: Can JDG put the club on his back as he's done so often, AND can CFC forge an "us against the world" spirit that galvanises the team successfully?)

Sydney (Hickey won't make much difference, their style doesn't suit modern footy. BUT: does their sheer quality all over the field and in the box give them something more?)

Hawthorn (they were feeble this year: what's changed? BUT: Does master coach Clarko have one more trick up his sleeve?)
Coach?

We have a coach?

When did that happen?

Why wasn’t I told?

Back