People who are legends at three or more clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Greg Williams played elite footy at 3 different clubs, but was only really a legend at Carlton.

Good smokey pick. He did win the AFLPA MVP with Geelong and despite never actually winning the Bob Skilton, his stint with Sydney was arguably on par with what he dished up at Carlton (minus the premiership/Norm Smith).

Good smokey pick. He did win the AFLPA MVP with Geelong and despite never actually winning the Bob Skilton, his stint with Sydney was arguably on par with what he dished up at Carlton (minus the premiership/Norm Smith).

AFLPA MVP at Geelong
Brownlow at Sydney
Brownlow, AFLPA MVP, Norm Smith and flag at Carlton

AFLPA MVP at Geelong
Brownlow at Sydney
Brownlow, AFLPA MVP, Norm Smith and flag at Carlton

I'd give him the nod for Carlton and Sydney, but just not enough time spent at Geelong for me. Wouldn't have minded him being a one-club player.

As others have said: if we're considering SANFL/WAFL (and really, I don't think there's any reason not to pre-1990s): Blight (Woodville, North Melbourne, Adelaide, arguably Geelong) and Farmer (East Perth, Geelong, West Perth) are certainties.

Yeah if you’re looking at club legends then Dimma doesn’t make the cut at Essendon and Port. When I think of Essendon legends it’s more along the lines of Reynolds, Hutchison, Coleman, Hird, Lloyd, Tim Watson, Fletcher, Daniher.

Most premiership teams would only have a handful of players at most that would go down as club legends.
Essendon changed their constitution for Hardwick, it was strictly 10 years. Hardwick was there for 9 and was given life membership. Absolutely worshipped by the supporters in his time with us. Highly uncommon for clubs to do this, if ever, at all.

Haydn Bunton Sr. at Fitzroy and Subiaco for sure (the only other player to win the Sandover AND Brownlow was the great Matt Priddis :moustache:), and considering he played in multiple premierships at Albury, and made the NSW Team of the Century, you could say there too.

Played in a losing Grand Final for Port Adelaide too.

Freak.

Blight I think qualifies even though he never won a comp with Geelong.

That side in itself was very memorable not just to its own fans but the comp in general - we weren’t the best but we were probably the most entertaining and it owed a lot to Blight.
Easily.

I make it 4 clubs if you're counting Geelong. And you should - his spell at Geelong was amazing. He didn't just turn your footy club around after 2 decades of failure. He also got them playing some of the most entertaining, attacking, high-scoring football we've ever seen. He was a bit stiff in those 3 Grand Final losses that he ran into Hawthorn and the WA state team - the strongest teams in those clubs' histories.

Blight was also a Woodville legend. He won the 1972 Magarey Medal with them before coming over to Victoria in 1974.

He returned to SA for the 1983 season and was appointed Woodville captain-coach. He kicked 126 goals in 1985 and won the Ken Farmer Medal. Not a bad way to end your playing career! He hung up the boots and coached them for another 2 seasons.

Woodville had made the finals just once before in its short history. (they were flogged in 1979 Elimination Final)

In Blighty's first year as non-playing coach, Woodville made finals for second time ever and chalked up their first finals victory: a 43 point win over Norwood. The following week, they came back from 6 goals down to knock off Port Adelaide by 7 points in the First Semi Final. The lost to eventual premiers, Glenelg in the Preliminary Final. It was the club's best season ever. They made finals again in 1987, but lost in week 1 and Blighty stepped aside. (He was never one to wear out his welcome as coach.)
  • Woodville's best player ever and their most successful coach (I'm not counting the merger club post 1990)
  • North Melbourne's 6th best player ever, according to their recent poll. Most thought he should've been Top 5
  • One of Geelong's best post-WW2 coaches.
  • Adelaide's only premiership coach. B2B flags, beating top of the ladder Saints/Roos (and Dogs x2 in MCG Prelim Finals)

Last edited:
Rodney Eade? 4 Premierships at Hawthorn, Took Sydney to their first GF in 50 years, and 3 losing Prelims in a row at the Dogs.

Rocket's an almost case for me. Perilously close to historic/drought breaking flags with Sydney and the Dogs. I think a lot of people would say that Eade's Dogs of 2008-09 (in particular) were better than the 2016 team that ultimately won the premiership

Haydn Bunton Sr. at Fitzroy and Subiaco for sure (the only other player to win the Sandover AND Brownlow was the great Matt Priddis :moustache:), and considering he played in multiple premierships at Albury, and made the NSW Team of the Century, you could say there too.

Played in a losing Grand Final for Port Adelaide too.

Freak.

So long ago, but must have been some seriously exceptional footballer.

Three Brownlows (including just first two seasons), and then three Sandovers when the gap between the comps would not have been that big.

Yep, freak indeed.

Paddy Ryder

170 games for Essendon, including Anzac Day medal in the classic 2009 Anzac Day win

Won a B&F and made All Australian at Port Adelaide

Best on Ground in a winning final for St Kilda. Placed 8th in Saints B&F despite playing 13 of 17 games. On a votes per game basis, he was 3rd.

Ok, maybe legend is stretching it, but a champ who's still going nicely at 32.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a 3 time legend - but a dual one - Perce Bentley would be a certainty

Way before my time - but interesting career - champion player with Richmond - played in a premiership with them - then took on the role of Capt/coach with the Tigers - and won another flag with Rich in that role

Then had a falling out with the committee and quit - and then joined the arch enemy Carlton - coached the Blues for 15 years - resulting in 2 premierships

Its interesting - some players - him being one of them - have a falling out with their original club - and as a result say they are never ever going back - and they dont .

Rodney Eade? 4 Premierships at Hawthorn, Took Sydney to their first GF in 50 years, and 3 losing Prelims in a row at the Dogs.
and took Brisbane Bears to their first ever premiership with their reserves team.

But truly the one true legend, in real sense of the word is Ron Barassi, with Melbourne as a player , then took Carlton out of it darkest period into a golden era and then went to North and they won their first premiership after 50 years being in the league.

His reluctant understudy, Malcolm Blight from North is closest thing to him of legendary player at North, then became coach of Cats and the stories of his coaching by players are legendary for how eccentric he was as a coach, but he also made Geelong the most attacking scoring team ever and was really entertaining team to watch when he was coach, then he turned the nothing Adelaide Crows into a back to back premiership team. Their only premierships. Guy is a genuine legend and very entertaining on and off the field.

As a coach only Tom Hafey would be close to legendary status at three clubs. He certainly is at Richmond and Collingwood and despite not coaching Swans for long, he made them almost as entertaining in 1986 and 87 at Sydney as Blight did for Geelong, but as Swans went out in straight sets in those finals series he probably falls short of legendary status at Swans.

Leigh Matthews premierships as one of best players ever at one club and then ended the Collliwobbles at Collingwood after decades of losing grand finals and then three time premiership coach at Brisbane Lions.

But Barassi is probably the only football identity that could goto a football function well after he retired and the people at those three clubs genuinely consider him a welcome legend and his impact at those clubs never forgotten.

If Lethal Leith visited a Collingwood function I am sure most of the Collingwood people would still see him way more of Hawk person or amazing Lions coach than a Collingwood identity so despite being the coach of drought breaking 1990 flag, I doubt he is loved there like Barassi genuinely is at three clubs.

Similarly Blight himself would openly say he would not feel like a Cat person if he visited a club function but amongst the players he coached at a private barbeque he would feel like one just amongst them.

Last edited:
I'd give him the nod for Carlton and Sydney, but just not enough time spent at Geelong for me. Wouldn't have minded him being a one-club player.

As others have said: if we're considering SANFL/WAFL (and really, I don't think there's any reason not to pre-1990s): Blight (Woodville, North Melbourne, Adelaide, arguably Geelong) and Farmer (East Perth, Geelong, West Perth) are certainties.
And alongside Polly from the WAFL is John Todd [South Freo, East Freo, Swan Districts].

Another nomination as a coach- Hayden Bunton junior [Subiaco, South Adelaide, Swan Districts]

So long ago, but must have been some seriously exceptional footballer.

Three Brownlows (including just first two seasons), and then three Sandovers when the gap between the comps would not have been that big.

Yep, freak indeed.

Plus he got robbed of a 4th Brownlow for being a smart arse to the umpires one game.

Not a 3 time legend - but a dual one - Perce Bentley would be a certainty

Way before my time - but interesting career - champion player with Richmond - played in a premiership with them - then took on the role of Capt/coach with the Tigers - and won another flag with Rich in that role

Then had a falling out with the committee and quit - and then joined the arch enemy Carlton - coached the Blues for 15 years - resulting in 2 premierships

Its interesting - some players - him being one of them - have a falling out with their original club - and as a result say they are never ever going back - and they dont .

Checker Hughes is another one in that mould.

4x premiership coach at Melbourne
1x premiership coach and 2x premiership player at Richmond

His coaching would qualify him for both clubs. I’m not sure what he was like as a player but it can’t hurt his a tiger legacy to have a couple of premierships as a player too.

Last edited:
Jack Worrall is another one worth mentioning. He was the first coach in AFL history

3x Premiership coach at Carlton (1906,07,08)
2x Premiership coach at Essendon (1911,12)

He was also a champion footballer at Fitzroy, where he captained the club and represented Victoria. Only probably was this was during the VFA era between 1884 and 1893.

The man also played test cricket and had an exceptional first class career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back