Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Collingwood club focus thread
Two of picks 6, 7 & 8

For 14, 16 and next year's first?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Ugle-Hagan, Mcdonald, Hollands, Phillips, Thilthorpe, DGB widely seen as the big 6, with a substantial drop in quality after that?

None will be available from any of your picks which essentially start at 7 due to Ugle-Hagan.

Unless I have missed someone who deserves to be in the same conversation, what is the attraction of that deal to us when our future 1st can easily be a top 5/top 10 pick in an incredibly strong draft? Perhaps we dodge a bid for McInnes, but at this point I'm pretty sure Ned !@#$ing Guy will just roll the dice to save face.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Ugle-Hagan, Mcdonald, Hollands, Phillips, Thilthorpe, DGB widely seen as the big 6, with a substantial drop in quality after that?

None will be available from any of your picks which essentially start at 7 due to Ugle-Hagan.

Unless I have missed someone who deserves to be in the same conversation, what is the attraction of that deal to us when our future 1st can easily be a top 5/top 10 pick in an incredibly strong draft? Perhaps we dodge a bid for McInnes, but at this point I'm pretty sure Ned !@#$ing Guy will just roll the dice to save face.

Theory is your first next year is gone on Daicos, who will attract an early bid. Therefore you’d rather move up this year, and pay for Daicos next year with second rounders.

It's not a quality drop per se it's more unknown, This top 20 in 5 years time could be absolute class, some clubs may get bargains in the 30s and 40s.

Eddie has to but Bucks also. He has had a lot of time, we are on the slide and need someone fresh. Love Bucks but this mess is on him as well. Times up, pay him out his year and get someone new. Voss? thjat would be ironic but maybe we need someone hard
I think he gets one year to fix this mess. Or, they should survey the players and if they don't want him, he goes.

Think that’s happening and we have lost a few fringe players over the last couple of years but nothing that has really hurt us going fwd. Higgins is probably the first one we wanted to keep and have lost but he’s still not a massive loss for us. The club has done a wonderful job like Hawthorn did of selling the vision of the club to the playing list.
Envy of the competition. We were in a very similar spot at the end of 2018 and look at the 2 of us now.

Absolutely they're not. I heard a few interviews overnight and Walsh, Anderson and Maguire were largely given free rides. I haven't heard the King interview but the others were a disgrace for those interviewing them.
No one is going to go to town on McChins......the ramifications re their future job opportunities in the media are too great.

Pity, because if someone had the integrity to call him out then those opportunities might actually be realised.

Theory is your first next year is gone on Daicos, who will attract an early bid. Therefore you’d rather move up this year, and pay for Daicos next year with second rounders.

Yes we didn’t find out about Nick Daicos this morning, we are well aware that he exists.

My question is - since there’s like 15 ways we can get value for our future first, why are we giving it to you for a few meaningless spot upgrades.

No one is going to go to town on McChins......the ramifications re their future job opportunities in the media are too great.

Pity, because if someone had the integrity to call him out then those opportunities might actually be realised.
FFS the media have been going to town on Collingwood. What is this fantasy about the media looking the other way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS the media have been going to town on Collingwood. What is this fantasy about the media looking the other way?

I heard 3 interviews: Maguire, Walsh and Anderson (CEO) and none of them were pulled up on the story they are weaving. They doubled down on the lies and got away with it.

Now they may be talked about in the media but not to their face when they had the chance.

I dont think any one really see's the pies playing finals next year but by having such a trade period does allow them to realign the playing list and maybe try new style with out any heat on them.

I dont think any one really see's the pies playing finals next year but by having such a trade period does allow them to realign the playing list and maybe try new style with out any heat on them.
I think the downfall of the Pies is a bit overplayed at the moment.

As they still have a decent list, realistically they're still a chance to play in the finals if they have a decent run if injuries.

The big question is obviously what the current situation does to their morale next year?

It could go two ways where they fall over in self-pity or they could come together and play to their capabilities.

Obviously there's great joy in sticking the boots into them while they're down but I wouldn't be writing them off just yet.

I think the downfall of the Pies is a bit overplayed at the moment.

As they still have a decent list, realistically they're still a chance to play in the finals if they have a decent run if injuries.

The big question is obviously what the current situation does to their morale next year?

It could go two ways where they fall over in self-pity or they could come together and play to their capabilities.

Obviously there's great joy in sticking the boots into them while they're down but I wouldn't be writing them off just yet.
I agree they still have a decent list but I think the morale side is being understated a bit. The Bombers still have a strong list in 2002 but after having to trade away Caracella, Blumfield and Heffernan due to salary cap pressure it ripped the heart and soul out of the club and the team bombed. And that's with them being moved on in a far more respectful manner. Don't think we'll really know the affect of the players here until mid next season.

Pies are nowhere near admitting the key issues:

1. They were at risk of going way over the salary cap.

2. Their list isn’t good enough to be way over the salary cap.

3. They were too late to identify the issue (should have done more last year).

4. They got net gain of a future second for 3 good/great players.

5. They lied constantly in public statements throughout the trade period.

So they've cleared 2 mil approx with the 4 exits, plus Reid, Dunn, Varcoe (not big contracts but more than a rookie).

Add in Mayne going end of 2021, Howe, Pendlebury and Sidebottom signing for less, and potential for guys like Elliott, Thomas or Langdon to leave as FA - they should be clearing heaps

No reason they can't land a FA like Josh Kelly on salary alone (whether or not the FA would choose to go there different point to my post)

And I'd still consider this trade period a loss. Even if they end up bringing Kelly or someone of his ilk in. But apparently they cleared all that space to bring in pick 14...

I’m scared we are gonna trade next years first then finish bottom 5, I’m praying they’re not that stupid but all evidence points to they most certainly are

If Daicos is that good then surely it's smarter for the Pies to get top 10 picks this year and Daicos next year, rather than just waste pick 4 or 5 (if it's a down year) next year on him?

And if you finish 10th or above it'd be a great call.

If Daicos is that good then surely it's smarter for the Pies to get top 10 picks this year and Daicos next year, rather than just waste pick 4 or 5 (if it's a down year) next year on him?

And if you finish 10th or above it'd be a great call.
Wouldn’t it be even smarter to just wait till next year so if it’s a super high pick we can trade it for it’s actual value?
It’s not like if we don’t trade it this year we have to use it next year, also helps us know exactly where Daicos rates in the draft

Wouldn’t it be even smarter to just wait till next year so if it’s a super high pick we can trade it for it’s actual value?
It’s not like if we don’t trade it this year we have to use it next year, also helps us know exactly where Daicos rates in the draft
Yep if the draft is as good as they say and you have a good pick clubs will be offering massive overs next year. Or you trade for a player next year. You shouldn’t be trading it this year in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back