Including draft picks/potential picks

B: Hardwick - Hartigan - Greaves
HB: Day - Frost - Scimshaw
C: Phillips- Mitchell - Wingard
HF: Gunston - Patton - Hollands
F: Impey- Lewis - Breust
R: McEvoy - O'Meara -Worpel
I: Burgoyne/Ford (praying he slides to our second pick) Moore Downie TOB

Some are calling our list shallow and I can kinda see where they're coming from. Personally I think our best 22 is very competitive and would arguably see us rise up the ladder quite a bit.
Would love to see pick 4 play round one- regardless of their position, but I don't think that'll happen sadly.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I don’t see our list as being shallow at all. In fact it’s fairly well balance demographically too.

it lacks star power even though they’ve been trying to recruit that, and there are som positional holes.

fix those and the improvement will come quickly

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
O’Brien/Mitch Lewis could pinch hit in the ruck until ceglar comes back from his niggle injury. Not like Brooksby can do any worse then ceglar, at least he won’t take his eye off the ball in every ruck contest.

O’Brien wasn’t terrible in the ruck, a better option than ceglar as the second ruck IMO. He can leap and he competes on the ground and in the air. He tackles and is mobile.

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
O’Brien wasn’t terrible in the ruck, a better option than ceglar as the second ruck IMO. He can leap and he competes on the ground and in the air. He tackles and is mobile.
Yeah I liked him in there tbh it also kept him involved in the game. I would rather him
Ruck then ceglar that’s for sure. If only he was a tad taller so it could benefit him more in the throw in ruck contests.

Gday1

Senior List
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hypothetical. He's the mature age Stratts clone in SANFL were apparently looking at. From all reports is a good intercepting half back. In regards to Shiels, I didn't like what I saw last year. He shouldn't be a lock best 22 anymore
Burgoyne??

Hypothetical. He's the mature age Stratts clone in SANFL were apparently looking at. From all reports is a good intercepting half back. In regards to Shiels, I didn't like what I saw last year. He shouldn't be a lock best 22 anymore
Did someone post somewhere that we are looking at Highmore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Greaves - Hartigan - Hartley
HB: Hardwick - Frost - Scrimshaw
C: Philips - Worpel - Day
HF: Impey - Gunston - Wingard
FF: Lewis - Patton - Bruest
R: Ceglar- Mitchell - O'meara
I: McEvoy, Burgoyne, Cousins, Scully

Emerg/Fringe: Shiels, O'Brien, Morris, Morrison, Nash, Maginess, Moore

I'm not sure we'll see Hartley much, but I hope we do as he didn't disgrace himself in 2020. He's the only one I really queried about putting in the 22.

Really need to see Lewis and Patton put it together as they hold the key to us having a much better year - if they can play upwards of 15 games together we should profit - , and although I've not named either of them above from the little bits of chatter coming from the club regarding their upward trend, I'm hoping we see Jeka and Kosi next year.

FB: Frost...........Hartigan............Hardwick
HB: Sicily...........O'Brien............Scrimshaw

Ce: Phillips.......Mitchell..............Day
Foll: McEvoy.......Wingard.......Worpel

HF: Gunston.......Lewis............O'Meara
FF: Burgoyne.....Patton...........Bruest

I/C: Greaves....Shiels....Scully....Impey

*With Sicily out: Impey to HBF, Cousins to I/C
** Need Maginness or another youngster to force Burgoyne out due to form by mid-season
***Need Worpel to rotate through Burgoyne's Forward Pocket & kick 15 goals for the season
****O'Meara needs to play 60% HFF & kick 25-30 goals
*****Wingard needs to play 60% Midfield & average 25 disposals & kick 20+ goals

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll delve into it a bit more once the list is finalized but my initial thoughts

- best 22 should be pretty competitive
- shallow depth, any injury and suspension will hurt us
- need a strong development year in the side and reserves
- decent base to build a side based on point 3 going well
- shows why we need the best available 'talent' this draft and next

Different discussion but I think we will be quite a good side in 2022

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
- best 22 should be pretty competitive
- shallow depth, any injury and suspension will hurt us

Agreed. Although i'm actually hopeful that our depth will be vastly improved next season due to a lot of guys getting games in the back end of 2020.

If Moore, Cousins, Greaves, Maginness and Hartley aren't getting a game then we'll be exceeding expectations in all honesty. I rate all 5 whenever they pull on the senior jumper (Finn based more so on potential of course). CJ and Hanrahan can't possibly go backwards hitting their prime age as footballers with a couple of seasons of senior exposure under their belt.

I absolutely do not expect our 'bottom 6' to challenge the bottom 6 of Richmond, West Coast, Brisbane etc. However the hand that 2020 forced us to play in regards to playing a lot more of our squad should hopefully make our depth stronger and more competitive.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks have done well with avoiding the dreaded “rebuild” word when 5 years on after the 2015 premiership we only have McEvoy, Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne and Gunston left.

What I think the best 22 will look like round 1 (not what I’m hoping).

B: Frost, Hartigan, Hardwick
HB: Impey, Hartley, Scrimshaw
C: Phillips, Mitchell, Day
HF: Wingard, O’Brien, Burgoyne
F: Breust, Patton, Gunston
R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel
I/C: Scully, Shiels, Greaves, Cousins

EMG: Ceglar, Howe, Moore, Lewis

I think Impey will return to the half back next year. After putting this line up down, it’s kinda disappointing. A lot will have to go right next year for us to make it to finals. I don’t think anyone in the team is “bad” but there are a lot of players with limited abilities.

Hawks have done well with avoiding the dreaded “rebuild” word when 5 years on after the 2015 premiership we only have McEvoy, Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne and Gunston left.

I think at least one of the Gunstons will be gone by this year's draft.

Try Impey as a pressure small forward, he is also great in the air for his size, something has to give regarding that position.
Gotta be HBF mate. We need his run from there & he's not preformed consistently well as that pressure forward at either club.

Back