A chance to something never done before in Richmond FC history

Remove this Banner Ad

DeLaCon

All Australian
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The Richmond FC is a great club with a storied history.

Its a club thats produced some of the greatest names the game has seen. Hart, Bartlett, Bourke, Dyer, Thorp, Clay, Wright, Morris the list can go on and on and I didnt include the great coach that was Tom Hafey who oversaw us winning 4 flags. We have had great administrators including Ray Dunn and Graeme Richmond irrespective of how the last left us after the trading wars with Collingwood.

But they all have one thing in common ... whilst being great, whilst being premiership winners whilst being some of the biggest names the game has ever seen they couldnt achieve one thing.

They never Three Peated.

Our players in 2021 have a chance to do something never done before. They have a chance to create history never seen or done before. They have a chance to be a part of a squad that becomes the first group of players to win 3 in a row and take a very special place in our clubs history.

This is like climbing everest, the matterhorn and every other huge mountain in the season. The impossible dream that could just be possible. I hope our players can dream big dreams and do big things because if they do this in 2021 they will all be regarded as Richmond greats and they will finally be the group that does what Hart Bartlett Bourke and co. Couldnt do. A fourth Tiger Premiership in 5 year and a 3peat. What a way that would be to finish season 2021.

I am reading the Red Fox. Its Norm Smith's biography and tells the story of the Melbourne team that won 5 of the 7 grand finals they played in from 1954 to 1960. There are a lot of similarities to our current Richmond team. If anything, our current Tigers and Dimma might even better what Norm Smith and Melbourne achieved 60 years ago.

Surely it cant happen !!!

We would need 3-4 o our younger players to really breakout for this was to happen

* Ben Miller would need to show what Noah Balta did this year
* RCD , Ross would need to become best 22 players
* CCJ need to jump up and do what Oscar Allen did in 2020

Whateley ,Robbo , Purple & Stevens would all go to the westgate bridge to jump off in deep depressions

I am reading the Red Fox. Its Norm Smith's biography and tells the story of the Melbourne team that won 5 of the 7 grand finals they played in from 1954 to 1960. There are a lot of similarities to our current Richmond team. If anything, our current Tigers and Dimma might even better what Norm Smith and Melbourne achieved 60 years ago.

How many Dustin Martin Medals did Norm Smith win?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF
we can get Rance back on the park

THEN
then I can see Richmond winning the flag as a possibility

The first GF that I attended was our 67 triumph over Geelololong. Now when I think about the 5 premierships that we won from 67 to 80, it doesn't take any gloss off that there was no 3peat. I actually value the 67 & 69 premierships more so than the 73-74 B2B as they established that we were a great side while 73 & 74 was more expected from the powerhouse club that we were then. But I obviously dearly want us to win every year.:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy: :D :trophy::trophy::trophy: :D

Its a club thats produced some of the greatest names the game has seen. Hart, Bartlett, Bourke, Dyer, Thorp, Clay, Wright, Morris the list can go on and on and I didnt include the great coach that was Tom Hafey who oversaw us winning 4 flags. We have had great administrators including Ray Dunn and Graeme Richmond irrespective of how the last left us after the trading wars with Collingwood.

But they all have one thing in common ... whilst being great, whilst being premiership winners whilst being some of the biggest names the game has ever seen they couldnt achieve one thing.

They never Three Peated.

Our players in 2021 have a chance to do something never done before. They have a chance to create history never seen or done before. They have a chance to be a part of a squad that becomes the first group of players to win 3 in a row and take a very special place in our clubs history.

This is like climbing everest, the matterhorn and every other huge mountain in the season. The impossible dream that could just be possible. I hope our players can dream big dreams and do big things because if they do this in 2021 they will all be regarded as Richmond greats and they will finally be the group that does what Hart Bartlett Bourke and co. Couldnt do. A fourth Tiger Premiership in 5 year and a 3peat. What a way that would be to finish season 2021.
unfortunately we have achieved the unenviable record of losing 3 in a row, all to Collingwood.

How history might have changed had we won those 3, we could be a disaster with 4 flags in 80 years just like the magpies.

They never Three Peated.

RFC
Richmond in exalted premiership company

Richmond has become just the 11th team to win three premierships over the course of four seasons in AFL/VFL history.
The magnitude of Richmond’s achievement since 2017 really hits home with an examination of AFL/VFL history.
Since the competition’s inception in 1897, there had been just 10 previous examples of teams winning three premierships over the course of four seasons before the Tigers accomplished the feat this year, adding the 2020 Grand Final victory over Geelong to their 2017 and 2019 triumphs.
It’s the first time Richmond has achieved what is widely regarded, from an overall team sports perspective, as a dynasty.
Only five other clubs have managed this throughout the past 124 seasons of AFL/VFL football – Carlton (twice), Collingwood (once), Melbourne (three times), Hawthorn (three times) and Brisbane (once).
The Magpies, in fact, won four consecutive premierships from 1927-30, while Carlton (1906-08), Melbourne (1939-41 and 1955-57), Brisbane (2001-03) and Hawthorn (2013-15) all completed flag hat-tricks.
Carlton also captured premierships in 1979, 1981 and 1982, Melbourne in 1959-60, to go with the last of its treble in 1957, while Hawthorn’s 1991 flag success was tacked on to its 1988-89 double.
Richmond has now won back-to-back premierships three times (1920-21, 1973-74 and 2019-20).
Only Essendon (four times) has more back-to-back flags in the competition’s history.

Are we the unluckiest club to not threepeat? Twelve of our thirteen flags have been in sequences where we had genuine opportunities to three-peat, or even better and go four in a row.

1919 - lost GF to Collingwood by 25 points after beating them in the prelim final a week earlier by 29 points.
1920 - won premiership against Collingwood.
1921 - won premiership against Carlton.

1927 - lost three GFs in a row to Collingwood.

1931 - lost GF to Geelong by 20 points after defeating them in the semi-final by 33 points.
1932 - won premiership against Carlton.
1933 - lost GF to South Melbourne by 42 points after finishing minor premiers.
1934 - won premiership against South Melbourne.

1942 - lost GF to Essendon by 53 points after defeating them in the semi-final by 22 points.
1943 - won premiership against Essendon.
1944 - lost GF to Fitzroy by 14 points after finishing minor premiers.

1967 - won premiership against Geelong.
1968 - finished fifth when only top four played finals. One win separated 2nd to fifth with 6th 4.5 wins further back. Lost in round 7 to Essendon by 2 points in a game that finished in the dark, when an Essendon goal was thought to have actually hit the post. Beat three of the four finalist that year.
1969 - won premiership against Carlton.

1972 - lost GF to Carlton by 27 points after drawing with them a semi-final and then beating them in the replay by 41 points. Also beat them in both H&A games by 5 and 31 points.
1973 - won premiership against Carlton.
1974 - won premiership against North Melbourne.

2017 - won premiership against Adelaide.
2018 - defeated in prelim by Collingwood after finishing minor premiers, 2 games clear of second-placed West Coast. Had beaten Collingwood in the four previous meetings. Lost to West Coast in Perth that year but had beaten them at the 'G in 2017 and subsequently in 2019.
2019 - won premiership against GWS.
2020 - won premiership against Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back