List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should spend this year in Dunkley’s ear.

Adding treloar makes it’s more likely someone leaves that midfield, and I get the sense Dunkley would be perfect for us and I can’t imagine he’s as red hot on the bombers now.
Dunkley is pissed, essendon promised the world. He won't be going there now I'm told.

So, had a dinner with the family last night for the first time in months. Had a few beers with the neices squeeze who works in player management. A few interesting things came out.
Higgins had agreed to be a saint months ago apparently. Crouch as well, the drug bust really got us over the line with ratten ringing him up saying that it was ok and that mistakes happen. Real father figure.

Billings was offered a huge contract by essendon, didnt even look at it apparently. Says he is staying at the saints long term. They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.

Dunstan was shopped around, but no one wanted to take his contract on. Same with webster. Both happy at the saints as well and are looking forward to smashing it next year. Ready know its an uphill battle and have been having their own starts to pre season already apparently.

Butler was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

Also reckons Gags is the best in the business with list management, surprised as how little he has been in the role. Absolutely magnificent back house apparently.

The biggest one was not even about a player, it was about Lethlean. The AFL apparently approached him to head up a department in future planning. Told them a strict no, saints have given him a fresh start and he owes it to them to be here for the long haul. Incredibly happy in the environment here. Has been approached by numerous other clubs the last couple of years and they have been told the same thing.

We will have satan for a long time yet.
I hope you mean lonie instead of butler !

Dunkley is pissed, essendon promised the world. He won't be going there now I'm told.

Will be interesting to see if any clubs draft Kyle Dunkley... Might be worth it just to make the doggies nervous :p

They will at some point. Monumental. But for me they’re still a strong flag chance next year
Geelong are a very good team , however they had Hawkins and Dangerfield dominate to win games they needed to win this year like they have most years and they had some exceptional seasons from Menegola , Guthrie and Duncan.
If Dangerfield has a good season the Cats will and the additions of Cameron and Higgins will make the team better , but having a longer season is not going to help a aging team.
Surely Higgins 33 , Hawkins 32 , Dangerfield 31 , Selwood 32 , Tuohy 31 have got to the age where they exposed by the speed of the game.

Not surprised. As I said a few pages back, it's not a good look to get someone to nominate you and then not get the deal done.

It's not a small thing to ask to leave your club when you've won a flag there and still have 2 years left on your contract. You don't do that unless you're confident it'll get done.

The responsibility lay with essendon to get the deal done. If it meant paying overs then so be it.

Not surprised. As I said a few pages back, it's not a good look to get someone to nominate you and then not get the deal done.

It's not a small thing to ask to leave your club when you've won a flag there and still have 2 years left on your contract. You don't do that unless you're confident it'll get done.

The responsibility lay with essendon to get the deal done. If it meant paying overs then so be it.

The Dogs played it very smart with it too. They told Dunkley that they have no issues in his request as its for more mid time. But they feel he is worth 2 firsts and no less, if essendon want him badly enough they can sign off on that. They even said to essendon that they don't mind if they split their first but they wanted one of the early ones at least. Essendon told Dunkley he just wasn't worth that for them and they rathered taking 2 firsts into an unknown draft.
Apparently there were some very unsavoury words to dodoro from Dunkley and his manager at the end of trade period told them not to bother ever again if dodoro is in charge.

Some very unhappy people at essendon as well with that news.
Reckons Caldwell will be slaughtered at Essendon as well, too much expectation on him as well on 600k a year.
It was the price that turned him away from saints, that and they promised him a mid position no matter what. Had to fight at saints, but he had no issue. Too hard to pass up that 150k a year extra at 20 years old. Dont blame him for that

Do we know what the list size is?

OUT: 8-12
Abbott
Austin
Bell
Brown
Hind
Langlands
Mayo
Parker
Alabakis*
Clavarino*
Marsh*
Phillips*

IN: 3-7
Crouch
Higgins
McKernan
Frawley*
Pick 21*
Pick 64*
Pick 67*

I assume Lonie and Carlisle both stay. I haven't heard anything on Savage but we appear to have room to keep him.

If Frawley comes in then we will be down 4 players on the 2020 list size, before going to the draft. If the list is being cut by 3-4 players then all of Alabakis, Clavarino, Marsh and Phillips could be gone to make room for draftees.

The commission need to get this sorted ASAP.

Under normal circumstances we would be signing all 4 of these guys for another year and taking 3 picks to the draft. Right now we will probably have to choose which of the 4 we want to keep and let the other 3 go in order to take those same picks.

I like a lot of what I have seen from Phillips. Alabakis was always going to be a long term prospect. Clav has his fans and is the only depth KPD we seem to be developing. Marsh actually played seniors multiple times as we marched towards finals. A case can be made for all of them but we might prefer to roll the dice again in the draft.

It's harsh but the uncertainty of what is happening is what's really getting to me TBH.

I'd love to sit here and be calling for another elite kick (Downie?) at 21, Jake Steele at 64 and a sneaky little Kyle Dunkley pickup at 67 (or as a DFA) to make the Dons & Dogs start sweating but without knowing what the list allowances are it's hard to get excited about the possibilities beyond that first pick.

Last edited:
So, had a dinner with the family last night for the first time in months. Had a few beers with the neices squeeze who works in player management. A few interesting things came out.
Higgins had agreed to be a saint months ago apparently. Crouch as well, the drug bust really got us over the line with ratten ringing him up saying that it was ok and that mistakes happen. Real father figure.

Billings was offered a huge contract by essendon, didnt even look at it apparently. Says he is staying at the saints long term. They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.

Dunstan was shopped around, but no one wanted to take his contract on. Same with webster. Both happy at the saints as well and are looking forward to smashing it next year. Ready know its an uphill battle and have been having their own starts to pre season already apparently.

Lonie was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

Also reckons Gags is the best in the business with list management, surprised as how little he has been in the role. Absolutely magnificent back house apparently.

The biggest one was not even about a player, it was about Lethlean. The AFL apparently approached him to head up a department in future planning. Told them a strict no, saints have given him a fresh start and he owes it to them to be here for the long haul. Incredibly happy in the environment here. Has been approached by numerous other clubs the last couple of years and they have been told the same thing.

Billings’ attitude sounds consistent with Lethlean’s comments about Jack Steele signing a contract for less than market value. Accepting less to keep the gang together. Great to hear.

Fantastic news about Lethlean. We desperately need to keep him. He’s the bloke who has reshaped our football department which has us tracking to becoming a long term contender. Really hope he becomes our next CEO.

Do we know what the list size is?

OUT: 8-12
Abbott
Austin
Bell
Brown
Hind
Langlands
Mayo
Parker
Alabakis*
Clavarino*
Marsh*
Phillips*

IN: 3-7
Crouch
Higgins
McKernan
Frawley*
Pick 21*
Pick 64*
Pick 67*

I assume Lonie and Carlisle both stay. I haven't heard anything on Savage but we appear to have room to keep him.

If Frawley comes in then we will be down 4 players on the 2020 list size, before going to the draft. If the list is being cut by 3-4 players then all of Alabakis, Clavarino, Marsh and Phillips could be gone to make room for draftees.

The commission need to get this sorted ASAP.

Under normal circumstances we would be signing all 4 of these guys for another year and taking 3 picks to the draft. Right now we will probably have to choose which of the 4 we want to keep and let the other 3 go in order to take those same picks.

I like a lot of what I have seen from Phillips. Alabakis was always going to be a long term prospect. Clav has his fans and is the only depth KPD we seem to be developing. Marsh actually played seniors multiple times as we marched towards finals. A case can be made for all of them but we might prefer to roll the dice again in the draft.

It's harsh but the uncertainty of what is happening is what's really getting to me TBH.

I'd love to sit here and be calling for another elite kick (Downie?) at 21, Jake Steele at 64 and a sneaky little Kyle Dunkley pickup at 67 (or as a DFA) to make the Dons & Dogs start sweating but without knowing what the list allowances are it's hard to get excited about the possibilities beyond that first pick.
Word is that clubs may only need to take 1 pick in the National draft, so that’ll save us from cutting more players when list sizes are announced.

Billings’ attitude sounds consistent with Lethlean’s comments about Jack Steele signing a contract for less than market value. Accepting less to keep the gang together. Great to hear.

This is exactly what we needed to hear that our young guys are willing to do. There’s going to be a whole lot of them really coming through together and if they are ready to commit for the team it’ll make a huge difference. Much like the Hawks and Cats players allegedly did.

Rapt to read that it’s happening. Great leadership from both Steele and JB.

I’d be staggered if the system Geelong came up with this year doesn’t eventually win them a flag. They had a dynasty in Richmond on the ropes both in the prelim last year and the GF this year but ultimately let it slip. Probably the only team that can get in their way.
12months ago Geelong set out to rejuvenate an aging list with some youth.
They got a great Trade swap with West Coast and also picked up a Mid 1st Round pick from Gold Coast.
This set them up for a Bumper 2020 Draft period.
They also decided to use 2021 and possibly 2022 as the last chance for the ageing players to snare another Flag before the retirements of many their players and so they chose FA to update with some talent,all be it pretty much keeping a Dad's Army squad to do so.
Higgins,and Smith came onto their list and then the relatively young Jeremy Cameron became their Big Fish,to join Hawkins in his last few years of AFL.
Cameron and their plethora of 1st Rd Picks would allow them to stay competitive beyond the above years.
Not realising how highly GWS rated their Best Player Ever,it came as a huge shock to Geelong that the Giants matched the offer to Cameron.
If the Giants were to get what they wanted for their Gun player this would put Geelong's future plans into dissaray.
GWS stuck to their plans all be it not receiving a good player in return,but those 3 X 1st round picks they acquired have set back Geelong's future plans of continued success in a Big Big way.
And good on GWS for deciding to go down the path that they did,and for them even better for that it paid off.

Lonie was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

All really good news. Especially Lethers. Not overly surprised as he, Gags, Gubby, Ratts and Roughy All seem to really get along well. Which is a great catalyst. Always good going to work when you enjoy the company of those you work with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it was just us that Geelong had good games against ... they did Port by 60 a week after doing us by 59. Brisbane by 40, Collingwood by 68 in finals. They're a team clinging to their glory days for all they are worth, and can still turn on a top-notch performance 2 games out of 3 (but it's that 3rd game that kills them ... the losses to Collingwood, Carlton, GWS, and dropping their bundle against port in the QF, before finishing off with their second loss to Richmond)

As I recall, we ended up going into that Geelong game after what amounted to a 3.5 day break, with a 1600+ game experience deficit and a 3.5 year average age gap. For all the talk of their kids being "up and about" they absolutely loaded up with experience. 13 sub-50-gamers for us, compared to their 5. 5 200+ for them, and a big fat zero for us.

The thing with experienced players, is it's like a well drilled orchestra - they don't need to train extensively in a short break (if at all) - they can just show up and be the Berlin Philharmonic. We had a late change as well, I think (Phillips for Ross?) which didn't exactly help. We fought hard for the first 1.5 quarters, but you could tell we were losing any run we had before halftime, and they were all over us in the 3rd, when we had our worst "traffic cone" period of 2020.

Not downplaying that Geelong pantsed us - they absolutely did - but a large part of why and how they pantsed us was being able to put that experience out there, and we'll be vulnerable to that for another season or so, until our youngsters gain that 30-40 games and couple of kilos that see them able to match it with the big boys consistently.

Hopefully by the time we play them in 2021, we've had a chance to amalgamate this off-season's changes, and we can run the Geelong Retirement Village off it's legs ...
From memory they also had Selwood playing off a break and had rested Danger fwd for the entirety of the previous game.

Fantastic news about Lethlean. We desperately need to keep him. He’s the bloke who has reshaped our football department which has us tracking to becoming a long term contender. Really hope he becomes our next CEO.
Love that there is a uniform goal to put the club and the direction first. They have seen the improvement from within and know there is that little bit more to go, no one is willing to jeapordise that, or throw it away by started again at another club like essendon.

The team that delivers a premiership will pretty much be immortalized at this club, hopefully that is worth the sacrafices.

It's great to hear that Dunstan and Webster are already working and are determined to fight for a spot rather than sooking it up after being shopping around and taking their good money to play VFL. That type of attitude in our 'depth' will only make us a better side.

Hearing Billings is committed longterm is great but Lethlean being in it for the long haul might be the best news possible. Satan has been the key to turning us around.

Where with St Kilda we stay in touch with the footballer involved, tell the what we are offering the club & never waver from that. Then we quietly go about & get the deals done as early as possible.
Players & their managers would be taking note of that I’m sure, which going forward is a good thing, one would think.

Nex minnut Lethlean leaves. I really don’t think he stays medium to long term, he has bigger fish to fry, he’s just doing his penance at St Kilda.

If the Giants were to get what they wanted for their Gun player this would put Geelong's future plans into dissaray.
GWS stuck to their plans all be it not receiving a good player in return,but those 3 X 1st round picks they acquired have set back Geelong's future plans of continued success in a Big Big way.
And good on GWS for deciding to go down the path that they did,and for them even better for that it paid off.
Not really.
At first appearances, you might be correct.
But you could also argue Geelong got the best of the situation.
Got Cameron.
Gave up 3 x 1rdp in a compromised draft.
Got 1 x 1rdp and 3 x 2rdp in 2021. The two extra 2rdp are tied to Essendon and GWS.
And with the pundits tipping 2021 to be the better draft, those extra 2rdp are quite valuable, possibly just as valuable as two of the 2020 1rdp.

Next year, would you please have dinner with your family more often and make sure to sit next to niece’s squeeze each time.

tenor.gif

I think i love you

That is great news, thanks for sharing. Lethlean set to go down a legend at Moorabbin.

All really good news. Especially Lethers. Not overly surprised as he, Gags, Gubby, Ratts and Roughy All seem to really get along well. Which is a great catalyst. Always good going to work when you enjoy the company of those you work with.

I reckon Lethers knows that if he can jag us a flag, then he'll be immortalised and be the most in demand footy administrator in the land. The way he rebuilt the squad in such a short period is quite unbelievable. Next year I expect only 8 to 10 guys will get regular games from our list 3 years ago and only 3 players from 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back