Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
It’s back for 2020.

As always full credit to the regular mock drafters from Big Footy whose insights I follow closely and also to the Draft Central guys with their pocket profiles.

If you haven’t checked them out before do yourselves a favour because they are a god send especially when you don’t get to see a lot of the outside WA talent.

They make a task I love doing a whole lot easier.

Feedback is gladly accepted but play nice, agreeing to disagree is OK. I'll try and add small write ups for the first round picks but they will come in bots and pieces.

PICK 1 - ADELAIDE: Logan McDonald
RATIONALE: Best available. Call it recency bias probably but I’ve seen a lot more of Logan than Riley and Elijah and I’m a big fan. Adelaide get a ripper here, no bid for Jamarra yet obviously.

PICK 2: NORTH MELBOURNE - Elijah Hollands
RATIONALE: Think a needs based pick here for North. They can sort out the talls later I believe and I’d plead with them to get Hollands if available and McDonald is gone.

PICK 3: WESTERN BULLDOGS NGA - Jamarra Ugle - Hagan (bid match)
RATIONALE: Latest possible place for a bid on JUH I’d say. Will cost WB current picks 29, 33 and 41 with 42 adjusted to 53 at that point.

PICK 4: SYDNEY - Denver Grainger Barras
RATIONALE: Best defender available. I’d watch closely for Phillips or Thilthorpe but.

PICK 5: HAWTHORN - Riley Thilthorpe
RATIONALE: My first real point of consideration pick. The best available tall in Thilthorpe or the rolled gold mid in Phillips.

PICK 6: SYDNEY ACADEMY - Braeden Campbell (bid match)
RATIONALE: Sydney match without hesitation.

PICK 7: GOLD COAST - Archie Perkins
RATIONALE: Perkins or Phillips here. I’ve gone with the more attractive player in Perkins with a bit more to his game. Either way the Suns get a ripper

PICK 8: ESSENDON - Will Phillips
RATIONALE: If available Essendon won’t need much of their allocated time to draft Will. Absolute needs based. Better still if he was 10cm taller.

PICK 9: ESSENDON (Daniher compo) - Zach Reid
RATIONALE: All the rage for Essendon, just makes sense.

PICK 10: PORT ADELAIDE NGA - Lachlan Jones (bid match)
RATIONALE: Like Sydney and the Bulldogs Port Adelaide match comfortably. I’ll call an early Smokey from outside the big 5 for Rising Star.

PICK 11: ESSENDON (Saad trade) - Tanner Bruhn
RATIONALE: Few different options to consider for Essendon but I’ve gone more inside/ balanced mid again in TB.

PICK 12: ADELAIDE - Tom Powell
RATIONALE: Met the tall forward need in LM now the midfield needs begin. Macrae strongly considered because of his ball use but went with the ball winner and local lad

PICK 13: GWS (Williams compo) - Nik Cox
RATIONALE: To midfield or to shore up the back line. He’s the one GWS will help replace Phil Davis long term.

PICK 14: NORTH MELBOURNE - Heath Chapman
RATIONALE: Got the gun mid in EH, now a intercept back in HC who could play higher up as a tall mid with more size later.

PICK 15: FREMANTLE* - Nathan O’Driscoll
RATIONALE: Fremantle seem to be very into him. Will add a different mix to Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young and crew.

PICK 16: COLLINGWOOD NGA - Reef McInness (bid match)
RATIONALE: Makes sense and they only lose their one pick from it.

PICK 17: GWS – Finlay Macrae
RATIONALE: Class like the older brother. Will be a very good outside option to compliment Trew at the later pick.

PICK 18: GWS – Oliver Henry
RATIONALE: The utility man. Will bring a different mix to GWS

PICK 19: COLLINGWOOD – Brayden Cook
RATIONALE: The Stephenson like when playing forward or Phillips like from a wing. Flexibility is key

PICK 20: RICHMOND – Caleb Poulter
RATIONALE: Best available for me
And just edged out Jack Carroll.

*first round pick adjustment due to Liam Henry in 2019 draft

Last edited:
PICKS 21 - 38, END ROUND 2

21 / MELBOURNE: Jack Carroll
22 / SYD ACADEMY: Errol Gulden
23 / MELBOURNE: Bailey Laurie
24 / GWS: Zane Trew
25 / ST. KILDA: Jake Bowey
***END FIRST ROUND***

26 / ADELAIDE: Eddie Ford - Adelaide exits the live draft here to match Newchurch bid later. Taking 4 picks in to the draft it seems

27 / HAWTHORN: Xavier Maher
28 / HAWTHORN NGA: Connor Downie
29 / FREMANTLE NGA: Brandon Walker
30 / BRISBANE: Sam Berry
31 / GEELONG: Kane Baldwin
32 / MELBOURNE: Jackson Callow
33 / NORTH MELBOURNE: Max Heath
34 / FREMANTLE NGA: Joel Western
35 / CARLTON: Jack Ginnivan
36 / RICHMOND: Zac Dumensy
37 / CARLTON: Henry Walsh
38 / NORTH MELBOURNE: Corey Durdin

Last edited:

Think you have nailed the bombers picks if they stay where they are. Honestly don’t think they will as I see them either trying to package up 2 of the to get NM pick 2 or going the other way and going after 16 and pies future 1st.

Think you have nailed the bombers picks if they stay where they are. Honestly don’t think they will as I see them either trying to package up 2 of the to get NM pick 2 or going the other way and going after 16 and pies future 1st.

They seem intent on trading to get up to pick 2 for the best chance at Logan McDonald.

Great idea on paper because McDonald will be a gun, just need North or maybe Adelaide to agree to it.

They seem intent on trading to get up to pick 2 for the best chance at Logan McDonald.

Great idea on paper because McDonald will be a gun, just need North or maybe Adelaide to agree to it.
They won’t go to 2 until after pick 1 is in. If crows take Thilthorpe then it’s a massive chance, and a deal with north would need to be pre arranged.

They won’t go to 2 until after pick 1 is in. If crows take Thilthorpe then it’s a massive chance, and a deal with north would need to be pre arranged.

Cost would be quite high for the pick. Have to be agreed upon way in advance

Could Essendon get the collatoral? Would need a top 5 pick and Essendon's future first. 6,7 & 8 obviously would cut it and they cant trade them all anyway.

Could Essendon get the collatoral? Would need a top 5 pick and Essendon's future first. 6,7 & 8 obviously would cut it and they cant trade them all anyway.
They actually can trade them all, given they are trading for another first rounder. They just need to take 2 in the next two years.

Regardless, I'm hopeful North wouldn't trade down outside the top 5, or if they do Essendon's future first would be the most important pick to get.

Not sure what the deal would be, but can guarantee Essendon future 1st would be untouchable. Depends on what north wants. A top 2 pick or multiple early picks after their list cull. Not saying it will happen but think they will try and would think the backup plan is to trade down with the pies and try to get their future 1st

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the deal would be, but can guarantee Essendon future 1st would be untouchable. Depends on what north wants. A top 2 pick or multiple early picks after their list cull. Not saying it will happen but think they will try and would think the backup plan is to trade down with the pies and try to get their future 1st
Cant see why Essendon would bother asking if their future 1st was off the table. North would want it and a top 5 pick this year.

Cant see why Essendon would bother asking if their future 1st was off the table. North would want it and a top 5 pick this year.
You don’t know if you don’t ask. Next years draft is loaded and they will not offload their 1st. Dodoro said as much in his presser after the trade period as the dogs tried to get it as part of the Dunkley deal.

I think Saints may go with Max Heath at 1st pick. Meet's their need more, as long as he is good. I actually think the Saints may go with tall's this draft. And guys like L.Kolar & F.Rosman have the possibility of playing midfield.

would be good gets, almost worth trading for pick 2, what am I saying, no no no.
im not keen to move up to 2.
McDonald looks good, but we need depth more than eggs in a single basket.

Only trade i'd take would be one of those picks for 16 & future 1st from the Pies
Still want Reid & Perkins, then any of the bigger mids at 16 (O'Driscoll, Trew, Poulter, Carroll, etc)

Top 20 updated for those who don't want to go back to the OP

PICK 4: SYDNEY - Denver Grainger Barrass
PICK 5: HAWTHORN - Will Phillips
PICK 8: ESSENDON - Riley Thilthorpe
PICK 12: ADELAIDE - Nathan O'Driscoll
PICK 13: GWS (Williams compo) - Finlay Macrae
PICK 14: NORTH MELBOURNE - Nicholas Cox
PICK 15: FREMANTLE* - Jack Carroll
PICK 17: GWS – Caleb Poulter
PICK 18: GWS – Kaine Baldwin
PICK 19: COLLINGWOOD – Eddie Ford (wouldn't mind Brayden Cook here either for the Magpies)
PICK 20: RICHMOND – Heath Chapman

Bit of changing, the biggest with Thilthorpe whose slid from 4 to 8 just because of the DGB pick at the Swans and my thoughts being that Hawthorn and Gold Coast may be more inclined to go mid ahead of KPF/ Ruck. If he is available for Hawthorn it would be hard for them to pass up post McEvoy also.

Jones bid shifts up a live spot from Adelaide to Essendon.

Bruhn and O'Driscoll change places in the draft

PICK 19: COLLINGWOOD – Eddie Ford (wouldn't mind Brayden Cook here either for the Magpies)
Ewww, GWS are not taking Kaine Baldwin, especially if Heath Chapman is still in the draft pool. I don't mind the Finlay Macrae selection though.

And what's the * against Freo?

Ewww, GWS are not taking Kaine Baldwin, especially if Heath Chapman is still in the draft pool. I don't mind the Finlay Macrae selection though.

First round pick they got after points adjustment from Liam Henry in 2019

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s back for 2020.

Again full credit to the regular mock drafters around Big Footy whose insights I follow closely and also to the Draft Central guys with their pocket profiles. If you haven’t checked them out before do yourselves a favour because they are a god send especially when you don’t get to see a lot of the outside WA talent.

Feedback is gladly accepted but play nice, agreeing to disagree is OK. I'll try and add small write ups for the first round picks but they will come in bots and pieces.

PICK 4: SYDNEY - Denver Grainger Barrass
PICK 5: HAWTHORN - Will Phillips
PICK 8: ESSENDON - Riley Thilthorpe
PICK 12: ADELAIDE - Nathan O'Driscoll

*first round pick adjustment due to Liam Henry in 2019 draft
Spot on for North, zero complaints.

Appreciate the feedback on Chapman also. Can easily change Poulter to Chapman

Appreciate the feedback on Chapman also. Can easily change Poulter to Chapman
I suspect we would like Poulter or Cook, as outside runners with some development, so I have no issues with that call either. I just doubt we would take a risk on Baldwin, when we've just brought Hogan in, Ricciardi was picked up last year and early signs are good, plus existing KPFs in Himmelberg, Finlayson & Buckley, plus ruck/forwards in Flynn and Briggs are all jostling for room up front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back