Our defensive 6 (7)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
How good will this be in 2021. Trying to pick a back 6 (7) is going to be very tough for selectors if they all fit.

Weitering đź”’
jones đź”’
Docherty đź”’ (Or could be move to the midfield/wing)
Williamson
SPS (return to inside mid)
Saad đź”’
Williams (midfielder??)
Plowman đź”’
Newman
Marchbank
Polson (Will he remain on the list)

I’ve locked in 5 But who gets the last 2 positions. I’m sure there will be a thread similar than this later in the year but we may as well start now.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
I'm just glad to see zero votes for SPS and Williams.
My votes were Weiters, Jones, Doc, Saad, Newman (all locks for mine), and then Plow and Marchy for that last spot. They may even change from week to week depending on opponents.
The only other possible is Willow. I reckon he's best 22, but not a lock for back 6. Could slot into a wing or bench spot.

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm just glad to see zero votes for SPS and Williams.
My votes were Weiters, Jones, Doc, Saad, Newman (all locks for mine), and then Plow and Marchy for that last spot. They may even change from week to week depending on opponents.
The only other possible is Willow. I reckon he's best 22, but not a lock for back 6. Could slot into a wing or bench spot.
I don’t like Marchbank and Plowman playing with jones. 1 needs to
Miss out to create run. 1 needs to be able to play wing/mid.

The greatest back 6?

FB: Southby - Silvagni - Comben
HB: Doull - Deacon - James

One day... Weitering

In all seriousness, I hope our best 22 defensive 6 in 2021 is:

B: Plowman - Jones - Williamson
HB: Saad - Weitering - Docherty

IC: Newman or Marchy.

I love Marchy but he needs a good run of it to earn it back.

BIuebagger

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly how I see it Wick. Newman to be brought in for small lockdown roles when needed, even with our team def set up. Saad, Doc and Willo providing incredible rebound opportunities that sides are going to worry about if they go fast against us and lose the ball when transitioning forward. Going to punish them with pace, especially if we are efficient with ball in hand. Cannot wait. Hoping Marchy can make it as a player but I think replacing Jones at the end of 2022 is the priority now in defence. But atm, we are set.

SPS, no more at HB please. Predominantly HF or wing.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
If all fit, I have it similar to those named by Saad in today's interview.
Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
Docherty, Weitering, Saad.
I am in the Williamson to a wing camp and have a toss up for the no. 7 defender between SPS and Newman.
Leaning towards SPS given that Newman was only given a one year extension as perhaps a giveaway. Not sure if ranking or perhaps body concerns.
Not agreeing with the masses wanting to push SPS forward. Not confident to kick over a jam tin, I consider body issues, the reason, can't get fit enough
for a permanent midfield role. His best roll is as a link/chain starter for Saad, Williams, Williamson to provide an improved link to our forwards.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I am in the Williamson to a wing camp and have a toss up for the no. 7 defender between SPS and Newman.
Leaning towards SPS given that Newman was only given a one year extension as perhaps a giveaway. Not sure if ranking or perhaps body concerns.
Not agreeing with the masses wanting to push SPS forward. Not confident to kick over a jam tin, I consider body issues, the reason, can't get fit enough
for a permanent midfield role. His best roll is as a link/chain starter for Saad, Williams, Williamson to provide an improved link to our forwards.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, Sammo is a visceral player not a cerebral player. You want him playing on instinct, making snap decisions kicking into the F50 to the best lead. Hes reactive and attacking. Setting up play from the half-back line isnt his strong suit. Its an utter waste of his talents and an exercise in futility.

What "body concerns" do you have? Cant take a hit or shies away from it? You know bull-riding at rodeos was a hobby of his. He can take hits and isnt going to take a half-step from them.

Your assertion that he should be a chain starter or link in the chain is rubbish. Hes the guy you want to have the last disposal as it enters the forward 50. Hes got great eyes, great disposal, and makes great decisions on instinct.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, Sammo is a visceral player not a cerebral player. You want him playing on instinct, making snap decisions kicking into the F50 to the best lead. Hes reactive and attacking. Setting up play from the half-back line isnt his strong suit. Its an utter waste of his talents and an exercise in futility.

What "body concerns" do you have? Cant take a hit or shies away from it? You know bull-riding at rodeos was a hobby of his. He can take hits and isnt going to take a half-step from them.

Your assertion that he should be a chain starter or link in the chain is rubbish. Hes the guy you want to have the last disposal as it enters the forward 50. Hes got great eyes, great disposal, and makes great decisions on instinct.
Where do you get off with crap? “Your assertion...is rubbish?”
If you took the time to acquaint yourself with the intricacies of the list rather than talking blinkered rubbish yourself full of platitudes, you would be well aware of his ongoing soft tissue issues. The bloke “walks” through the preseason on light duties. In his time at the club he has been either reluctant or unable to kick further than 35 metres, with his preference for half of that.

His best, and his potential is sublime, but he cannot or will not do the work to play midfield or act as your delivery man for the last disposal. A designated “last disposal” type mixes his kicks from 15 to 50 metres to give the forwards the option of hitting the best position. SPS is not that man. It would also be “nice” if that connection to the forwards can take the opportunity to hit the scoreboard from the 50 when the opportunity arises.

Williamson, Williams, Saad leading the others in the midfield are the ones to hit up our forwards, to create space. SPS can find space in a phone box, but a hand pass or a chip kick are his path to break things up. I would love to see the version of SPS you see through your tinted glasses, but he needs a massive preseason and a change of outlook to produce it. It was never suggested he shies from contact or can’t take a hit. The match committee have given him a role where his talents can benefit the team without his shortcomings being an issue. I am sure they would love a sound SPS in the midfield maximising his skill set.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Where do you get off with crap? “Your assertion...is rubbish?”
If you took the time to acquaint yourself with the intricacies of the list rather than talking blinkered rubbish yourself full of platitudes, you would be well aware of his ongoing soft tissue issues. The bloke “walks” through the preseason on light duties. In his time at the club he has been either reluctant or unable to kick further than 35 metres, with his preference for half of that.

His best, and his potential is sublime, but he cannot or will not do the work to play midfield or act as your delivery man for the last disposal. A designated “last disposal” type mixes his kicks from 15 to 50 metres to give the forwards the option of hitting the best position. SPS is not that man. It would also be “nice” if that connection to the forwards can take the opportunity to hit the scoreboard from the 50 when the opportunity arises.

Williamson, Williams, Saad leading the others in the midfield are the ones to hit up our forwards, to create space. SPS can find space in a phone box, but a hand pass or a chip kick are his path to break things up. I would love to see the version of SPS you see through your tinted glasses, but he needs a massive preseason and a change of outlook to produce it. It was never suggested he shies from contact or can’t take a hit. The match committee have given him a role where his talents can benefit the team without his shortcomings being an issue. I am sure they would love a sound SPS in the midfield maximising his skill set.

You have no idea. Its like youve never seen him play, or when you do its heavily biased.

He was played in the backline to develop a more defensive aspect to his game. He doesnt need it. Hes not a defender. His best games have been when hes been given the freedom to be aggressive and attacking. He cant play like Docherty. And Docherty cant play like him.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Agree completely except that SPS neat kicking will hurt more when deliver to Charlie, Harry, Cas etc than a dinky kick off half back. I’d prefer to see 15 to 20 SPS possessions with a goal and a goal assist or two a game than 30 dinky possessions from HB. Newman, Willo or Kemp can cover HB.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
With SPS, Williams, Kemp and McGovern in the mix for the 22, I find it hard to believe we'd pick a 7th defender over another midfield-capable runner.

Cant we have it so the bench is voted on separately this time?
Kemp and Williams give us the flexibility to load up on the midfield big time. Any chance Kemp = early Kouta?

Don't know until the pre-season gets under way, although 5 are pretty well locked in -

Docherty Jones Plowman
Saad Weitering ............ For me - 1. Marchbank 2. Newman along with rotations of Williams& Williamson

Can't see any newbies going straight in but it will be interesting how Stocker & Cottrell come on and whether we go shorter next year.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If all are free of injury I would still require Marchbank to work his way into the side not just be a straight up starter
To a degree, yes. However I think that if he gets through preseason unscathed and performs well in the scratch matches and preseason games then that's enough to put his hand up for selection. Plenty of players have debuted in round 1, or returned after a year off.

Like Harker said, I see there is 5 locks, leaving two free spots, possibly 3 if we have a kind of hbf/wing rotation going on with 8 defenders picked but a few of them rotating up onto a wing.

If we work down the list of defenders (or players who have played multiple games there recently, bolded are locks):

Weitering: key post lock
Jones: key post lock
Plowman: lock him as med/small lockdown, can play hbf and 3rd tall.
Docherty: locked as hbf/sweeper, possibility to get up onto a wing
Saad: locked as rebounding hbf however Austin did mention he can play wing
Marchbank: 3rd tall/intercept, some club talk of him being able to play wing for a year or two
Williams: yet to see if he starts more as an inside mid or wing, obviously can play rebounding hbf
Williamson: wing late last season but most of the year hbf
SPS: hbf last year but most hoping he can now move up the ground, wing/hhf for mine.
Stocker: was playing in the backline when he got games, seemed to be playing more mid/fwd at reserves level though
Newman: hbf/sweeper with a possibility to get up to a wing (Doc-lite). Coming off a knee, 1 year deal, will have to see how he looks upon return
Kemp: will he start at hbf? another possible hbf/wing rotation? or fwd?...
Macreadie: key post depth, still uncontracted, apparently will remain in 2021?
Polson: I imagine he won't be recontracted

So if we assume Polson is gone & Williams plays midfield, that leaves Marchbank, Williamson, SPS, Stocker, Newman, Kemp & Macreadie. Williamson & SPS are the only 'incumbents' there, but it seems many want them playing wing & hhf/wing respectively, which leaves 5 players all coming in with essentially no senior footy in 2020.

The 'incumbent' combination, which definitely could happen, is something like this:
Docherty, Jones, Plowman
Saad, Weitering, SPS
Williamson

If SPS, Williamson (& Williams) all play further up the ground, then we're probably starting to look at something like this:
Plowman, Jones, Marchbank/Newman
Docherty Weitering, Saad
Kemp/Stocker

It'll be interesting to see how it transpires. Windows' training reports plus the preseason games will be fascinating to see how the defensive group (and in turn the mids & forwards) are shaping up.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
How good will this be in 2021. Trying to pick a back 6 (7) is going to be very tough for selectors if they all fit.

Weitering
jones
Docherty (Or could be move to the midfield/wing)
Williamson
SPS (return to inside mid)
Saad
Williams (midfielder??)
Plowman
Newman
Marchbank
Polson (Will he remain on the list)

I’ve locked in 5 But who gets the last 2 positions. I’m sure there will be a thread similar than this later in the year but we may as well start now.
Personally I have Jones/Weiters as the the talls, Marchbank/Plowman as the mid sized defenders, and Newman/Doc/Saad as the smalls. I'll move both SPS/Willo to the wings to free up Walsh and Williams to play on ball.

Last edited:

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
The Locks

Jones - He's a lock because he's coming off a season where he played really well. Exposed playing close to goal at times at full back he was moved to CHB and he was great. Expect him to be penciled in wherever possible.

Weitering - Absolute lock. He takes the biggest and best forward week in week out at full back and does a fantastic job. Was close to AA this season.

Docherty - Captain and great player. Wasn't at his best after a couple of seasons off but he will be back and better than ever.

Saad - Big name recruit, huge talent and an attacking weapon on the half back line.

The contenders

Plowman - Great old fashioned defender and solid stopper. Has been exposed at times playing on quicker blokes out of the square or coming up against a much taller opponent but rarely beaten. Weakness is his offensive game, doesn't provide a lot when it comes to coming off his man and being able to intercept or kill a pack contest or provide run and a lose man on the rebound. Has not had competition for his spot in his time at Carlton but with Marchbank back and McGovern possibly going to defence that could change quickly. I expect with one or two other tallish defenders in the side he may find himself matched up against fairly different opposition which will either improve his game or expose his weaknesses and that could be challenging. My take on Plowman is that he is a very good honest defender who can do a job and certainly is not a weakness of our side however it's not out of the question a better player will come along and take that spot and we may have them on our list.

Williamson - I think he plays most weeks. He's quick, competitive and physical and has a terrific kick on him. Ball handling skills could be better but he's a solid defender and can be damaging with the ball in hand. Like his physicality and aggression.

SPS - He was our weakest defender last season and was exposed in one on one and physical contests a lot. He gave us some good rebound at times with good disposal but his poor physicality and aggression towards contests has held him back and is the reason he does not get considered for a midfield role. There could be some more competition for defensive roles next season and he will find himself left out of our 22 if his ability and desire to compete physically does not improve significantly. Has boatloads of talent but he lacks something more important in talent but thankfully positive signs started to show through towards the end of the season with some more committed efforts.

Newman - Nearly forgot him. He's a really good small defender. Tough and a smart footballer. It's hard not to pick him but we have good depth and high quality here.

McGovern - Played the last game in defence and looked good. His brother being an elite defender and he himself possession some really high level talent and ability suggests he has all the tools to become the perfect third tall defender. Quick, strong, good skills, good leap good mark and good pedigree all point to a player who should be able to defend, attack, intercept and defend players of nearly all sizes and ability. It's unseen but I see the potential here to move from a hit and miss forward to a consistent and high level defender much as Jones has done. He's a massive talent and athlete but that has not been tapped into properly as I feel he has been playing a role not suited to him at all lately. IMO has the tools to be elite in this role.

Marchbank - Massive talent. Close to kep position size but quick and an elite runner. Good play reader and mark and isnt afraid of a contest. Keeps getting injured however but he's very highly rated. At times I have though that he isn't the best when defending one on one and with his vision when kicking but I may be proven wrong here.

The Reserves and possibilities

Casboult - He's a good replacement for a KPD, especially Weitering. Big and strong who has footy smarts and strong in the air.

Kemp - Could possibly spend time here developing but I hope he plays a more offensive role.

Williams - We know he is a top level defender but the feel is he will play more a midfield role for us.

My Prediction
B: Marchbank Weitering McGovern
HB: Docherty Jones Saad
IC: Williamson
EM: Plowman SPS

That backline is tall, aggressive, quick and has a lot of players who should be able to both attack and defend. Has some talls who can run both ways and play small and provide rebounding run as well as defend and intercept. It's a lot like Richmond's IMO. A lot will come down to how those players preseason turns out to build that two way running.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Couldnt disagree more re sps

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Docherty, Weitering, Saad

Free SPS up to a wing where he can use his kicking skills forward of center

I am not sold on Williamson and Newman unlucky to miss out

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
KPD - Weitering/Casboult
Mid sized defenders: Plowman/Willow
Distributors: Saad, Docherthy, Newman

I know thats seven, but one is rotating off the bench.

Yes I know theres no Jones. I think he's a good player, but think Weitering looked much better alongside Casboult than he did alongside Jones.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't know how we'll look until we get an impression from the coaches as to how they want to use Williams and Saad. Saad is a straight line footballer, but he's got a number of traits which suggest that a wing could be a gamechanging position for him. Williams has that 360 degree awareness that you need to be a marquee midfielder as well as performances to suggest that he can and should be capable of it full time, but until he puts it on the park for a whole season I'm loathe to pencil it in.

If one of them ends up on the back flank, who comes out? If neither of them end up on the back flank, does SPS come out for Newman or does he stay down back? If both of them end up on the HBF, is Newman and SPS surplus, and we need to find a mid or three?

How our backline looks that will shape our team, in a lot of ways.

Back