News Where did they go? What has happened to delisted/retired players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so we need to add here that Hinge went to Adelaide to join Benny Keays there. Good luck to him, like Ben I think he can have a career without the log jam ahead of him that was at the Lions across that half back area.

2020 Draft - Cedric Cox, Nick Robbo, Sam Skinner and Matt Hammelman have all registered for the Draft... (I didn't find this out just cut and pasted)

Cedric Cox rumoured to be training at WCE, pictured today having a kick with a few of the Eagles boys. Shot for a rookie spot I would assume.

Apparently West Coast are looking to activate the little known ‘Buy 4 Lions Get 1 Free’ rule to secure Deven ‘Noddy’ Robertson in the near future. 😉

Cedric Cox rumoured to be training at WCE, pictured today having a kick with a few of the Eagles boys. Shot for a rookie spot I would assume.

Apparently West Coast are looking to activate the little known ‘Buy 4 Lions Get 1 Free’ rule to secure Deven ‘Noddy’ Robertson in the near future. 😉

Deven "get me to the Lions" Robertson? Big coup. Well done.

Good little picture of a few premiership players with RobboView attachment 1012342

Am I the only one more impressed that Ash isn't 200kg rather than dominating at alternative levels? He could dominate regardless of the level and his body but we all know how much he loves his KFC.

Apparently West Coast are looking to activate the little known ‘Buy 3 Lions Get 1 Free’ rule to secure Deven ‘Noddy’ Robertson in the near future. 😉
Buy 3 - Yeo, Redden and Witho
And Cox for free.
Cool, well done 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see how he goes in a stronger comp. Doesn't seem to have ever set himself apart from the pack in the NEAFL.

Will be interesting to see who the Lions sign, if anyone, for the reserves next year and whether they’re ex-AFL players i.e. Corey Lyons, Jacob Allison, Matt Eagles etc. if they’ve remained in Brisbane or even Hammelmann.

Will be interesting to see who the Lions sign, if anyone, for the reserves next year and whether they’re ex-AFL players i.e. Corey Lyons, Jacob Allison, Matt Eagles etc. if they’ve remained in Brisbane or even Hammelmann.
Would we sign anyone?

We have an academy of 17, 18 and 19 year olds to fill out our reserves team if needed.

I would expect players like Allison, Hammelmann, and ex academy kids, who are too good for the QAFL to sign on with Aspley in the new East Coast VFL.

Would we sign anyone?

We have an academy of 17, 18 and 19 year olds to fill out our reserves team if needed.

I would expect players like Allison, Hammelmann, and ex academy kids, who are too good for the QAFL to sign on with Aspley in the new East Coast VFL.
I thought we could sign external mature players in this new league, so I'd have thought you'd want a sprinkling of experience.

In the VFL, Richmond has had a few ex-AFL players and even Hugh Beasley playing with them to provide support to the mostly youthful players i.e. 1-3 year AFL players that play in their reserves side.

Just thought we'd do the same.

Its gives us a buzz to win the reserves comp I agree but I feel that is secondary to giving our young players experience and training in our game plan,so bringing in players we have already rejected is very counterproductive

I thought we could sign external mature players in this new league, so I'd have thought you'd want a sprinkling of experience.

In the VFL, Richmond has had a few ex-AFL players and even Hugh Beasley playing with them to provide support to the mostly youthful players i.e. 1-3 year AFL players that play in their reserves side.

Just thought we'd do the same.
Just had a look through our list, and we really won’t have that much experience playing in our reserves. Most likely CEY, Adams, Archie Smith and maybe one of Birchall or Lester.

But I pretty much agree with 25 years on, our reserve team is a development team, and that’s what the coaches on the sidelines are for, to provide instructions and feedback.

I’d like to believe that our team culture is now strong enough, that we don’t need a couple of senior players in the reserves to drive standards.

I don’t know the rules in regards to top up players, but I’d prefer to use the system as another list management tool.

If possible I’d prefer to look at two kids who missed out at the draft, and don’t get signed up by another club during the SSP.

Sign them to $50k contracts each as reserves players for the season.

But I’d still prefer to play the best of our academy kids in the reserves team, much like we did with Keidean in his 19th year.

I feel like it depends a bit on what the other clubs do. If they all sign mature/ex-AFL players, it might make sense for us to sign a few similar players to bring some size and experience to the side and to keep us competitive. Ideally we'd be competitive in most of the games we play at that level.

I am thinking if we need to top up the team, they will very likely play the 19 year olds from the academy.

Just had a look through our list, and we really won’t have that much experience playing in our reserves. Most likely CEY, Adams, Archie Smith and maybe one of Birchall or Lester.

But I pretty much agree with 25 years on, our reserve team is a development team, and that’s what the coaches on the sidelines are for, to provide instructions and feedback.

I’d like to believe that our team culture is now strong enough, that we don’t need a couple of senior players in the reserves to drive standards.

I don’t know the rules in regards to top up players, but I’d prefer to use the system as another list management tool.

If possible I’d prefer to look at two kids who missed out at the draft, and don’t get signed up by another club during the SSP.

Sign them to $50k contracts each as reserves players for the season.

But I’d still prefer to play the best of our academy kids in the reserves team, much like we did with Keidean in his 19th year.
FYI, here is Swans article regarding their team in a new reserves competition. You would expect Lions to be in a similar position.

Here is AFL article saying that 100K is a cap for AFL reserves teams.

FYI, here is Swans article regarding their team in a new reserves competition. You would expect Lions to be in a similar position.

Here is AFL article saying that 100K is a cap for AFL reserves teams.
I assume the cap only applies to non-listed Lions players.

Toby Wooller will play for Carlton's reserves side in 2021.
in the start of 2019 he was really good and must have been very close to replacing Rayner once or twice. He was playing as a key forward and also attending the early centre bounces in each Qtr as a big bodied midfielder. The he just seemed to go off the boil and Rayners form improved anyway. Hope he goes great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back