Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
With trade period done and only late picks left in the draft, thought I’d have a crack on best 22 for 2021.

Assumption is that DV and Rioli will still be unavailable.

B: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Duggan Gov Witherden
C: Gaff Kelly Sheed
HF: Cripps Darling Waterman
F: Allen Kennedy Ryan
R: Nic Nat Yeo Shuey

IC: Cole Rotham Redden Langdon

Emg: Nelson Hutch Williams Cameron

Nelson probably the stiffest to miss out.

Given our backline depth and weak small forward depth, I have gone with an extra defender instead of the extra forward like we generally do.

Our young half backs can rotate through the middle so think it will work.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Biggest issue for mine will be how we fit Williams in around Oscar & Nic Nat without being to tall.

Williams needs as many games into him as possible to allow us to replace Nic nat quickly as he nears the end.

Then Oscar who is too good to leave out the side but is playing as a second ruckman as an undersized ruckman when he needs to be playing as a forward. Now this wont be to much of an issue once JK hangs the boots up.

JK: Love the man but its clear they want another crack at the flag and he and the club feel he can give it one more crack but if they are serious about resting him then they need to actually do it. Time after time they say they will do this with their senior players and they never seem to do it. Also the same with Hurn because him playing hinders us to keep developing Cole and Nelson + the addition of Witho.

Also hope we can get some more games into Xon as he definitely looked like he belonged and i would be willing to let him play HHF if we have to fit him in and would offer more than an Ah Chee or Hutchings ( If they are still on the list) in the forward line.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve got Nelson, Cole and Rotham fighting for 2 spots. Rotham maybe just based on matchups.

And Williams would have to be at the expense of Waterman, which would make us very tall. Cameron also an option for that last bench/forward spot.

FB: Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB: Cole McGovern Witherden
C: Duggan Yeo Gaff
HF: Cripps Darling Ryan
FF: Langdon Kennedy Allen

R: Naitanui Kelly Shuey

I: Nelson Redden Sheed Waterman

E: Williams Cameron Hutchings Rotham

FB: Johnson Edwards Rotham
HB: Foley Brander [ ]
C: Ainsworth Hutchings [ ]
HF: Petrucelle Brander [ ]
FF: Cameron Williams Vardy

R: Jamieson O’Neill [ ]

I: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles

All three pick themselves. Will be interesting to see how Hurn goes in his final year, I thought 2020 saw him lose the penetration & creativity with his kicking that made him such a weapon over his career. Sheppard provides a cool head deep in defense, just need Barrass to play his role instead of trying to be like Gov but instead getting in the way :drunk:

HB: Nelson Gov Witherden

Gov is automatic here. Nelson has cemented his spot in the backline as far as I'm concerned and if Witherden can play to the level we've seen we will have a lot of rebound out of D50.

C: Gaff Kelly Duggan

Gaff and Kelly need no explanation. After his 2020, Duggan needs to move into the midfield to provide that depth we've been screaming for (and we have plenty depth in defense so we can remove him from there). On a wing is how we move him into the middle without having to displace any of our other mids from their positions.

Again, I think these guys pick themselves, particularly Darling & Cripps. Waterman, at 191cm is the perfect flanker height and coupled with his mobility, I don't think he should be spoken in the "we have too many tall forwards" conversation.

F: Langdon Kennedy Ryan

This is the interesting line. Kennedy is still first choice FF, but I would hope he is progressively phased out and Allen phased in, rather than him continuing to be a permanent fixture at FF. Langdon gets picked as "the best of the rest" more than any other reason. Rioli is suspended, Petch on recent form is not AFL standard, Cameron ditto (admittedly injuries impacted on both). JJ is the smokey here, his 2 games suggested a best 22 player.

R: NN Shuey Yeo

No explanation needed here.

IC: Rotham Redden Allen Sheed

Bench we have the versatile Rotham (can play tall or short).Redden & Sheed are best 22 but not necessarily starting 18 (we all know that Sheed doesn't belong at half forward). Allen is one that needs to show improvement in 2021, because it felt like he didn't improve in 2020 and even went backwards in the 2nd half of the year.

Our depth isn't great though. Cole can step right in, but otherwise there's a lot of kids yet to have their breakout games (Williams, Brander, XON, Edwards), are unlikely to add any quality to the seniors (Hutch, Ah Chee, Vardy, Ainsworth, Petch, Foley) or are just too raw to judge (Johnson, Jamieson)

If Venables and Rioli are available to play at some stage :oops:

On paper, that team should be winning a flag. The player attitude, game plan evolution and Vic bias are the only things that can stop us. our best 22 is as good as any.

#vicbiasisreal

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Nelson Gov Witherden
C: Gaff Kelly Duggan
FF: Langdon Kennedy Ryan
R: NN Shuey Yeo
IC: Rotham Redden Allen Sheed

As I see it, we have 16 locks & the 2 guys we've brought in have definitely improved our bottom 6 players.
  • Nelson, Witherden, Rotham, Cole fighting for 3 spots - would be happy with any of those.
  • Langdon, Jones, Cameron, Petch, Ah Chee for 1 spot (or 2 if Williams gets a game over Allen).
  • Redden as the 7th mid but could get pushed by XON, Hutchings, Ainsworth. Or out depending on the make-up of the 22.
  • Allen in over Williams, Vardy, Brander again depending on the roles in the 22. Not a big fan of him as 2nd ruck but too good to leave out.
  • Hurn & JK definitely no locks come end of season but at least we have a heap of options to replace them.
This of course assumes no injuries & with the latest Yeo update not looking good, could see another HBF coming in to add to the midfield rotation.

Bloody hell Willie would be the perfect addition :'(

What I'd like to see

FB: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard

HB: Cole, McGovern, Witherden

C: Gaff, Shuey, Duggan

HF: Cripps, Darling, Ryan

FF: Allen, Kennedy, Langdon

RCK: Naitanui, Yeo, Kelly

INT: Waterman, Williams, Sheed, Redden

Rotham and Brander are next in.

Also would like to start getting Edwards involved more.

OUT: Ah Chee, Nelson, Petrucelle, Ainsworth.

^ Ugh, really aren't using a huge amount from that lot.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I posted mine in the trade thread - looks like we are pretty close to a consensus with only 1-2 variables to most teams.

Fox posted their team, I would only swap out Petrucelle for Cole.

D66FAA8E-B962-4EE0-832D-CBABA20BBF41.jpeg

Hell Yeoh

Senior List
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Nelson probably the stiffest to miss out.
Really Really hoping Cameron recaptures that brilliance we saw in 2019, and becomes a regular best 22, rather than emergency. Could sort out a fair bit of our woes if he does.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Really Really hoping Cameron recaptures that brilliance we saw in 2019, and becomes a regular best 22, rather than emergency. Could sort out a fair bit of our woes if he does.
Yeah an in form Cameron and Cole in for Petch and Slippy for me

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
What I'd like to see

i love this for us

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
HB: Cole McGovern Nelson
W: Gaff Yeo Duggan
HF: Langdon Darling Cripps
FF: Allen Kennedy Ryan
RR: Naitanui Kelly Shuey
Int: Redden Witherden Sheed Waterman

EMG Rotham Williams Cameron
Smokies: Rioli, Jones, Brander, Edwards, Petruccelle, Xon, Ah Chee and Venables I suppose.

Nice to see Nelson has regained the whipping boy status again. People just can't wait to see him pushed out of the team.

When he's best 22 be can be in my imaginary starting team.

Whipping boy got nothing to do with him being behind Cole, Duggan, Sheppard and Witherden.

I don't dislike him at all but there's clearly other players ahead.

Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
What I'd like to see

I like this team as well, essentially its williams for my rotham.

I see it as 3 main ways we can structure the team in 2021 given our HBs will likely rotate through the middle:

- Last spot goes to a second ruck (williams), and allen plays 7th fwd. One concern is we are very tall if waterman plays as well

- Last spot goes to a 8th defender (roth/nelson). Allen plays second ruck.

- Last spot goes to an 8th forward, with allen second ruck.

The last option would work well if camo can get some fitness over the preseason and langdon fits in well.

The second option is probably the most likely given our defender depth. I heard simmo say in an interview late in the season he would find it hard to drop rotham again the rest of his career and he had the composure of a 100 game player already.

I wouldnt be surprised if roth played every game next year.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
R: Nic Nat Yeo Shuey

Should be a premiership midfield, anyway you place them?
They only just won by a few points over the Cats, with Redden+Gov out...and Ainsworth, Cameron+Edwards in(+out)
A fit+firing Cameron is best 22 imho = Xfactor. (2020 aside)
Still need to see Witherden+Langdon perform and fit into team chemistry, not yet an auto-given?

I also wouldn't lose sleep over the exclusion of AhChee, Ainsworth and Petrol.
AhChee has had a good run at it -anyone playing around the forward zone needs to be dangerous. Cripps, Allen, Ryan, JK+JD, (Lecca), are dangerous...
I don't see AhChee as dangerous...or consistent.
They're depth and I'd even put Ainsworth before Petrol.

But hell, we appear to have filled in the missing pieces for team, depth and a serious shot at the flag. (again)

Last edited:
Back