11. GWS
12. Carlton
13. Sydney
14. Hawks
15. Gold Coast
16. North
17. Adelaide
18. Essendon

I want to put Freo in the 8... I reckon they'll be the biggest improvers. But could be 1 or 2 years off.

1. Brisbane
2. Richmond
3. Geelong
4. Bulldogs
5. West Coast
6. Port
7. St Kilda
8. GWS

9. Carlton
10. Collingwood
11. Gold Coast
12. Melbourne
13. Freo
14. Sydney
15. Adelaide
16. Essendon
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
This is based on gut feeling at this current time. I will post plenty more predictions as the months pass by

1. Brisbane (Best Forward Line, one of the best defences and one of the best midfield in the league)
2. Richmond (Simply unstoppable at times, but will drop a few games)
3. St Kilda (Huge risers, potentially a candidate for the 2021 flag)
4. Collingwood (last chance as their list is getting old)
5. Western Bulldogs (Upcoming risers, won't be out of the 8 for a while)
6. Carlton (Same Scenario as above)
7. Port Adelaide (Will fall down a couple of places, however, their best is unbelievable)
8. Geelong (last time you'll see Geelong in the 8 for a few years)
9. West Coast (very stiff, however, it'll be because of injuries)
10. Gold Coast (upcoming risers, pencil in a top 8 spot for 2022)
11. Melbourne (Nomans land)
12. Sydney (upcoming risers, however, need possibly another 2 years before threatening the flag again)
13. Fremantle (amazing coach, wouldn't be surprised if they make the 8 in 2021. this is the worse possible outcome)
14. Adelaide (rebuilding)
15. Essendon (rebuilding)
16. GWS (Fall from grace, lost a lot of talent and injuries will come again)
17. Hawthorn (rebuilding, however, will take nearly a decade to be premiership contenders again)
18. North Melbourne (lost soul, however rebuilding)
I admire your optimism in ranking Pies at No 4 , I think a lot of ducks would have to line up for them to finish above the 4 sides listed immediately below them. Otherwise agree with the general grouping of sides . I'm perhaps a little less bullish on the Suns and Sydney and slightly more so on Freo and the Giants, though I agree the latter will slip from finals contention in 2021.
Speaking as one who doesn't usually get close when doing this exercise shortly before the season starts, I also admire the courage of those prepared to stick their necks out before final team lists and fixtures are out.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
West Coast
Richmond
Geelong
Port
Brisbane
Bulldogs
St Kilda
Collingwood

Carlton
Fremantle
GWS
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Adelaide
Sydney
Hawthorn
Essendon
North

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Richmond
Geelong
Dogs
Brisbane
Melbourne
Port
Carlton
Freo

West Coast
Collingwood
Saints
Gold Coast
GWS
Sydney
Hawks
Adelaide
Essendon
North

I think its super close from 3-10, then it drops away.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I know this looks like I'm baiting, but take it as a sign of my ignorance rather than trolling, as I very rarely watch the Hawks and don't even really know their list, or much about them at all (I don't even know what their home stadium is);

Isn't it true that Hawthorn were one of the worst teams to watch in 2020? They seemed more incapable than I ever remember them being of stopping an opposition score. How does anyone who put Hawthorn in any ladder position above 16 see them improving? Did they have many significant injuries this year (for players that will contribute to a much better 2021)? Do you think their youth will take the next step? I know they have the best coach of the modern era but they only won 2 out of 12 games in their Queensland hub. Do you think the return to Melbourne will be that much more beneficial?

I - perhaps unfairly - have them or Sydney pegged for the 2021 spoon. (again, not trying to trigger Hawks fans - I feel like they won't improve whereas North and Adelaide will.) What am I not seeing?

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know this looks like I'm baiting, but take it as a sign of my ignorance rather than trolling, as I very rarely watch the Hawks and don't even really know their list, or much about them at all (I don't even know what their home stadium is);

Isn't it true that Hawthorn were one of the worst teams to watch in 2020? They seemed more incapable than I ever remember them being of stopping an opposition score. How does anyone who put Hawthorn in any ladder position above 16 see them improving? Did they have many significant injuries this year (for players that will contribute to a much better 2021)? Do you think their youth will take the next step? I know they have the best coach of the modern era but they only won 2 out of 12 games in their Queensland hub. Do you think the return to Melbourne will be that much more beneficial?

I - perhaps unfairly - have them or Sydney pegged for the 2021 spoon. (again, not trying to trigger Hawks fans - I feel like they won't improve whereas North and Adelaide will.) What am I not seeing?

You're not wrong in you assessment of the hawks, its just that the likes of North are that poor they will struggle to win a game based on the backed of last year. Add to that they haven't got a coach and blew there list up...

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're not wrong in you assessment of the hawks, its just that the likes of North are that poor they will struggle to win a game based on the backed of last year. Add to that they haven't got a coach and blew there list up...
Care to tell us who we should have kept out of the 11 we de-listed?

Then tell us where the 11 that were de-listed were picked up by another club.

Only a couple speculatives based on off-season improvements and further development overall cohesion:

1. Geelong
2. Port Adelaide
3. St. Kilda
4. Richmond
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Brisbane
7. Carlton
8. West Coast

9. Melbourne
10. Gold Coast (big improvers)
11. GWS Giants
12. Collingwood
13. Essendon
14. Sydney
15. Fremantle
16. Adelaide
17. Hawthorn
18. North Melbourne (* the most likely one I'd change post-draft and post-pre season)

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
(EF) West Coast (injuries continue to cruel them. BUT: If they keep their guns on the field, who can stop them?)

To be fair that was from us playing 5 games in 19 days - it's not like we have a regular injury problem.

The proof of that being the other horror injury run of the season was Collingwood's 4 games in 15 days or whatever it was (surprise, surprise).

ANY team that receives another run like that again should simply tell the AFL to F off - they owe it to their players.

Sydney won't be anywhere near the spoon

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Care to tell us who we should have kept out of the 11 we de-listed?

Then tell us where the 11 that were de-listed were picked up by another club.
What is it with North supporters always assuming the worst.

Yeah you turned over 11 players, and you moved on probably your 2 best players and so that by definition is blowing up your list.

Notwithstanding, I agree the lot of them (delistee's) weren't AFL standard, and you have a few more to go (I see you Dom Tyson). Only thing you might do differently is phase the turn over over a couple of trade/draft periods. Not sure you help the rebuild bring so many unproven kids/state leaders footballers in one hit.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What is it with North supporters always assuming the worst.

Yeah you turned over 11 players, and you moved on probably your 2 best players and so that by definition is blowing up your list.

Notwithstanding, I agree the lot of them (delistee's) weren't AFL standard, and you have a few more to go (I see you Dom Tyson). Only thing you might do differently is phase the turn over over a couple of trade/draft periods. Not sure you help the rebuild bring so many unproven kids/state leaders footballers in one hit.

We aren't assuming the worst.

We just refute plain bullshit.

What is the amount of unproven state league footballers we are bringing in that's throwing our list into chaos? 5?

With 2 of them likely to be in the first 11 kids picked in the draft.

We've already filled 4 list spots with players who played AFL football in 2020.

Those 3 or 4 speculative kids at the draft sure is totally unprecedented for a rebuilding side and likely to throw the list demographic into chaos.........

We in no way "blew up our list". Shaun Higgins is just about the only player North supporters is truly going to miss next year based on his 2020 form.

Most North supporters have embraced the rebuild, if we win the spoon in 2021, so be it, as the top end of the draft looks comparable to 2018.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Richmond
Geelong
Dogs
Brisbane
Melbourne
Port
Carlton
Freo

West Coast
Collingwood
Saints
Gold Coast
GWS
Sydney
Hawks
Adelaide
Essendon
North

I think its super close from 3-10, then it drops away.
Good call. Injuries, fixturing and whether we end up in hubs again next year will have a fair say in how that 3-10 group shakes out.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
1. Geelong
2. Richmond
3. Brisbane
4. Port Adelaide
5. Western Bulldogs
6. West Coast