Recommitted Marcus Bontempelli [Re-signed until 2025]

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
The biggest free agent of next year along with Patrick Cripps.

Everyone is criticizing Collingwood now for a big salary dump this year... but what if it's all part of the master plan to lure Bontempelli in the following year with the power of a 105% salary cap? Bontempelli was who Collingwood originally wanted in the 2013 draft until the Bulldogs jumped in and committed to him 2 weeks before the draft, and with Pendlebury getting older, there is no better natural replacement.

You can clear as much cap space as you want. If no-one of note actually wants to come there, then it's completely superfluous - see North for the past 5 years lol

Why are you making it about Collingwood, his own club just added more mature body contracts to the salary cap book. As with Carlton I think the clubs themselves are banking, literally, on their captain's loyalty saving them a lot of money at the next contract.

Which is great for football and their own brands. Both Cripps and Bontempelli will be far bigger names, aside from winning a flag at their new club, if they stay and play out their careers as one club champions.

So much of AFL media post career is about the legend you carried while you were playing.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why are you making it about Collingwood, his own club just added more mature body contracts to the salary cap book. As with Carlton I think the clubs themselves are banking, literally, on their captain's loyalty saving them a lot of money at the next contract.

Which is great for football and their own brands. Both Cripps and Bontempelli will be far bigger names, aside from winning a flag at their new club, if they stay and play out their careers as one club champions.

So much of AFL media post career is about the legend you carried while you were playing.
Dogs had the third lowest salary cap in the league. I assume Trengove goes who was on more than he should have been. We’re fine.

Dogs had the third lowest salary cap in the league. I assume Trengove goes who was on more than he should have been. We’re fine.
I don't buy into the discussion on cap space as a measure of how much isn't spent, since the lowest any club can go is 95% spent - I prefer to look at how a club has stripped or added to what at best could be 95% of the cap already spent.

Geelong for example, added quite a bit, lost some - probably aren't holding a lot of room to add a new player.
Bulldogs, weren't able/willing to move on Dunkley cash, added Treloar and other mature bodies - that's a potential $1.5m turnaround from the start of trade week assuming Dunkley was leaving.

The key thing to remember here is that every club has almost nobody contracted beyond three years into the future, there's $25,000,000 of cap space in those next two years to work with.

It's why you can always match a big a free agent contract.

The big risk would be clubs offering the minimum two year free agent deal to Cripps or Bontempelli and fronting huge cash for it to get them across without a matched bid. Something like $2,000,000 a season for two years.

The protection is that after those two years the player is an unrestricted free agent.

steve_m

Draftee
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
No elite talent will be signing with Collingwood after your recent debacle. Theres no faith you'll honour the contract.
What do you mean not honor a contract? Treloar was free to stay if he chose to.
This.

Who in their right minds would want to commit to the Pies after the last week?
You can clear as much cap space as you want. If no-one of note actually wants to come there, then it's completely superfluous - see North for the past 5 years lol
People like you read way too much into spectator hype and copy what Bigfooty thinks.
Nobody was supposed to ever sign for Essendon again after the drugs saga, then they signed Saad, Stringer, D.Smith and Shiel not long after, and retained most of their playing list touted to leave.

Time goes on, and money talks. It's that simple, kids.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
What do you mean not honor a contract? Treloar was free to stay if he chose to.

People like you read way too much into spectator hype and copy what Bigfooty thinks.
Nobody was supposed to ever sign for Essendon again after the drugs saga, then they signed Saad, Stringer, D.Smith and Shiel not long after, and retained most of their playing list touted to leave.

Time goes on, and money talks. It's that simple, kids.
Like I said, good luck.

Essendon's issues are another complete subject and totally irrelevant to the Pies as they are two totally different circumstances.

Collingwood have offered to pay their players top dollar for their services and then punted them out when it's time to pay up.

Why would you commit to a club that promises one thing and then fails to deliver?

steve_m

Draftee
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thats some kool aid level delusion right there.
You just don't understand how this country's laws work. Just because we ask someone to leave doesn't mean we're not dishonoring his contract. He could've chosen to stay and would've been paid.

Essendon's issues are another complete subject and totally irrelevant to the Pies as they are two totally different circumstances.
You're right, Essendon was far worse because they got their entire team suspended for a year, and got them permanent branding as drug cheats.

Keep living in Bigfooty fantasy land though. Keep thinking you understand how things work behind the scenes while having no clue.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You just don't understand how this country's laws work. Just because we ask someone to leave doesn't mean we're not dishonoring his contract. He could've chosen to stay and would've been paid.

You're right, Essendon was far worse because they got their entire team suspended for a year, and got them permanent branding as drug cheats.

Keep living in Bigfooty fantasy land though. Keep thinking you understand how things work behind the scenes while having no clue.
Legally yes but for anyone going back to the club was not an option, especially someone who already suffers from major anxiety.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.

Keep spewing out the Pies propaganda, they might give you a job if you don't have one already.

Fact is Treloar was run out of the club, Buck's just admitted that on SEN.

Fact is the Pies don't deliver on their promises.

My money is on players opting to play for another team when weighing up to pro's and con's of joining the Pies or another club.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3mil seems a bit rich. You've got 580k for Stephenson, say 500k for Treloar (taking into account the 300k they're still paying allegedly) and then Phillips is off their books next year anyway. Still paying Beams in their cap, bigger deals for De Goey and Grundy - can't imagine their delistings (Broomhead, Dunn, Reid and Scharenberg) were on much. I don't think they'll be over the cap at all but they won't be far under it.

Reid, Varcoe, Dunn, Broomhead, Scharenberg all 200-250k players. It's the volume of senior retired players. All below average salaries but on more than minimum.

I didn't take into account Treloars extra salary, forgot they were paying for part of him and Phillips, so in terms of exits it's 1mil + 600 + 500 + 400. So 2.5 mil for exits. Some eaten up by increase for Moore and Grundy, not sure De Goey gets that much of an increase considering we would have made their offer go up last time

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
If I was c’wood I’d be going after Bevo before Bont.

I'd be going after Sam Power

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reid, Varcoe, Dunn, Broomhead, Scharenberg all 200-250k players. It's the volume of senior retired players. All below average salaries but on more than minimum.

I didn't take into account Treloars extra salary, forgot they were paying for part of him and Phillips, so in terms of exits it's 1mil + 600 + 500 + 400. So 2.5 mil for exits. Some eaten up by increase for Moore and Grundy, not sure De Goey gets that much of an increase considering we would have made their offer go up last time
They had to move on all 3 after the de-listings though so doubt it they will have 2.5mil in cap space. Probably closer to 2mil in cap space for the De Goey deal.
So they will have under a 1mil by the end with all resigning of miochek, cox, de goey & draftees.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
The biggest free agent of next year along with Patrick Cripps.

Everyone is criticizing Collingwood now for a big salary dump this year... but what if it's all part of the master plan to lure Bontempelli in the following year with the power of a 105% salary cap? Bontempelli was who Collingwood originally wanted in the 2013 draft until the Bulldogs jumped in and committed to him 2 weeks before the draft, and with Pendlebury getting older, there is no better natural replacement.
Collingwood is the last place he’d go. You treat your players like crap.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Collingwood is the last place he’d go. You treat your players like crap.
To be less fair , you need to give some consolation prize to Collingwood after this trade period , just pretend Bont select Collingwood as his next club .

Bont was the 8th highest paid player in the comp in 2019 according to one media article. He's going to spend the year playing with Treloar so I'm not sure a move to Collingwood will be high on the cards.

iAsbestos

All Australian
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Dogs' midfield is worth watching; can't see them all getting the midfield time they desire. Reckon one or even two will leave at the end of 2021.

Won't be Bont though. He'll stay a Dog for life IMO.
Dunks gawnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Back