Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Who would you take out?
I'd be disappointed if we played Mundy ahead of Tucker for starters. I also think that players such as Henry and Young are emerging players who may quickly be classed as best 22, but not at Tucker's expense at this stage of their careers.

If a best 22 is selected on the basis of a fit list Hamling is ahead of several imo, which creates selection shuffles. You already have too many defenders I think.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
FB: Hughes, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Young, Pearce, Wilson
C: Acres, Cerra, Aish
HF: Frederick, Lobb, Schulz
FF: Sturt, Tabs, Walters
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Brayshaw
Interchange: Serong, Mundy, Tucker, Logue
Mundy can play forward/mid. Logue also as forward/back. Cox is an interesting one. Where do you put him?
Hughes is a lock. Will always be as coaches love those types

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Fox

FREMANTLE

B:
Reece Conca, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue

HB: Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Nathan Wilson

C: Blake Acres, Caleb Serong, Adam Cerra

HF: Liam Henry, Matt Taberner, Michael Walters

F: Sam Sturt, Rory Lobb, Nat Fyfe

FOLL: Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Darcy Tucker

I/C: David Mundy, Lachie Schultz, James Aish, Brennan Cox

In: Nil

Out: Isiah Butters, Jason Carter, Hugh Dixon, Jesse Hogan, Brandon Matera, Cam McCarthy, Tom North, Dillon O’Reilly, Jarvis Pina

We say: The Dockers haven’t brought anyone in this off-season, which is a bit odd given you’d think this would be the time to bolster a growing list with mature talent - just like St Kilda did last year. Perhaps they’re making space for a raid in 2021. Having said that they’ve got some talent to come into this side, with Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling hoping to return in defence, plus guys like Hayden Young and Griffin Logue. Could Nat Fyfe become a forward-mid? With David Mundy sticking around for one more year and Adam Cerra, Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong only getting better, there’s arguably enough midfield depth to afford Fyfe to move - plus the forward line needs it.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fox

FREMANTLE

B:
Reece Conca, Joel Hamling, Griffin Logue

HB: Luke Ryan, Alex Pearce, Nathan Wilson

C: Blake Acres, Caleb Serong, Adam Cerra

HF: Liam Henry, Matt Taberner, Michael Walters

F: Sam Sturt, Rory Lobb, Nat Fyfe

FOLL: Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Darcy Tucker

I/C: David Mundy, Lachie Schultz, James Aish, Brennan Cox

In: Nil

Out: Isiah Butters, Jason Carter, Hugh Dixon, Jesse Hogan, Brandon Matera, Cam McCarthy, Tom North, Dillon O’Reilly, Jarvis Pina

We say: The Dockers haven’t brought anyone in this off-season, which is a bit odd given you’d think this would be the time to bolster a growing list with mature talent - just like St Kilda did last year. Perhaps they’re making space for a raid in 2021. Having said that they’ve got some talent to come into this side, with Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling hoping to return in defence, plus guys like Hayden Young and Griffin Logue. Could Nat Fyfe become a forward-mid? With David Mundy sticking around for one more year and Adam Cerra, Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong only getting better, there’s arguably enough midfield depth to afford Fyfe to move - plus the forward line needs it.
Looking at that forward line. Goddamn. If Walters and Sturt connect, elite. Add on Henry/Fredrick.

Really think one of Logue or Cox will be training as a swing man type. Logue is underrated for a forward. Quick, can mark and defensive efforts won’t be a problem. Third forward right there

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at that forward line. Goddamn. If Walters and Sturt connect, elite. Add on Henry/Fredrick.

Really think one of Logue or Cox will be training as a swing man type. Logue is underrated for a forward. Quick, can mark and defensive efforts won’t be a problem. Third forward right there
If we can somehow program in some forward nous, he would be the prototype third tall.

The coaching group will have their work cut out for them.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens

since we are Hogan-less, wouldn't mind seeing how Logue went as a forward. Don't remember ever seeing him in that position. He is bigger than Darling and a really smart footballer going off some of that defensive work this year, pre-injury. Can't comment on his goal kicking as I don't remember ever seeing it.

Apart from that 3 goal effort early, Cox as defender this year (IMO) looked fantastic and completely natural for me compared to his games forward.

Trial them both forward but kind of hope Logue works better up there. Guy is super fit and fast and solid as a first string rower, and I reckon Cox is going to be a top level defender.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
since we are Hogan-less, wouldn't mind seeing how Logue went as a forward. Don't remember ever seeing him in that position. He is bigger than Darling and a really smart footballer going off some of that defensive work this year, pre-injury. Can't comment on his goal kicking as I don't remember ever seeing it.

Apart from that 3 goal effort early, Cox as defender this year (IMO) looked fantastic and completely natural for me compared to his games forward.

Trial them both forward but kind of hope Logue works better up there. Guy is super fit and fast and solid as a first string rower, and I reckon Cox is going to be a top level defender.
He did play forward vs North his debut year. Vs North. Kicked 1 goal 3 behinds. Led well and that’s why as a mature player he would be the perfect choice. Got the big body plus speed.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Can't comment on his goal kicking as I don't remember ever seeing it.
In one of his first games (may have been pre season?) he casually slotted a goal from 55m out, as if he'd been doing it all his life.

I think either Griff of B.Cox will be swung forward and they'll go OK.

88mph

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
In one of his first games (may have been pre season?) he casually slotted a goal from 55m out, as if he'd been doing it all his life.

I think either Griff of B.Cox will be swung forward and they'll go OK.

2x swinger's in one team, both will cause headaches.

Meanwhile Tabs is clunking huge marks everywhere.

Add Walters and Fyfe to the mix....

Forward line will be solid.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
2x swinger's in one team, both will cause headaches.

Meanwhile Tabs is clunking huge marks everywhere.

Add Walters and Fyfe to the mix....

Forward line will be solid.
That’s why we really need Acres, Valente and Tucker to step up next season. That’ll help Freo be less Fyfe-centric and really help the forward line.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
That’s why we really need Acres, Valente and Tucker to step up next season. That’ll help Freo be less Fyfe-centric and really help the forward line.
I agree. There are 3 ready to go midfielders to slide into roles for us from the start of the season. But how much better if they had some ability to kick midfield goals or play forward. Fyfe forward looks just as likely to keep is Fyfe-centric otherwise.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Pearce and Hamling are back Cox will go forward if only Pearce is back Logue will go forward sound realistic?

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Sadly, I think Henry needs to spend next year in the WAFL - I'm sure he will come good, but he needs to build his frame, tank and game awareness. Easy to overlook he has barely played for the least two years.

Far prefer Switta over Schultz - but would want the latter to stay on the list.

Really torn on Mundy - but I think Conca should be in the 22.

Jeez our defensive and midfield depth is possibly the best we've ever had. Really confident we can push Tucker, Fyfe and Walters into the forward line.

B: Ryan - Hamling - Logue
HB: Young - Pearce - Wilson
C: Cerra - Conca - Acres
HF: Tucker - Fyfe - Sturt
FF: Walters - Taberner - Switta

Ruc: Darcy - Serong - Brayshaw

Bench: Aish - Hughes - Cox - Lobb

EMG: Mundy, Crowden, Freddie, Schultz

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Sadly, I think Henry needs to spend next year in the WAFL - I'm sure he will come good, but he needs to build his frame, tank and game awareness. Easy to overlook he has barely played for the least two years.

Far prefer Switta over Schultz - but would want the latter to stay on the list.

Really torn on Mundy - but I think Conca should be in the 22.

Jeez our defensive and midfield depth is possibly the best we've ever had. Really confident we can push Tucker, Fyfe and Walters into the forward line.

B: Ryan - Hamling - Logue
HB: Young - Pearce - Wilson
C: Cerra - Conca - Acres
HF: Tucker - Fyfe - Sturt
FF: Walters - Taberner - Switta

Ruc: Darcy - Serong - Brayshaw

Bench: Aish - Hughes - Cox - Lobb

EMG: Mundy, Crowden, Freddie, Schultz
Struggling with Conca in the centre tbh.

If you'd slid Aish to the wing, Cerra to centre, and Conca to the bench, OK.

Or Lobb forward and Fyfe in the middle, tick.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Haven't been this excited about our list since... 2006? Even more. Can't really see any spuds that we're carrying - every other year there's been at least 2-3 (sometimes 4-5) in the 22 that couldn't be replaced with anyone better. Especially since our young guns are only going to improve massively. Exciting times.

88mph

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haven't been this excited about our list since... 2006? Even more. Can't really see any spuds that we're carrying - every other year there's been at least 2-3 (sometimes 4-5) in the 22 that couldn't be replaced with anyone better. Especially since our young guns are only going to improve massively. Exciting times.
Does that mean we're whipping boy free for 2021? A dark horse perhaps??

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Struggling with Conca in the centre tbh.

If you'd slid Aish to the wing, Cerra to centre, and Conca to the bench, OK.

Or Lobb forward and Fyfe in the middle, tick.
I don’t disagree, but instinctively I think Conca is best 22, but can’t see him in our top 8 backs. Fyfe was singing his praises a year ago for his dirty inside work being a key factor in his Brownlow.

I also think we need to bite the bullet and push Fyfe and Walters forward if we’re going to solve our scoring issues; and I personally think Cerra’s best games have been on the outside - he was rated in the top five wingers in the comp last year even though most of us didn’t recognise him as having played much on the wing.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I don’t disagree, but instinctively I think Conca is best 22, but can’t see him in our top 8 backs. Fyfe was singing his praises a year ago for his dirty inside work being a key factor in his Brownlow.

I also think we need to bite the bullet and push Fyfe and Walters forward if we’re going to solve our scoring issues; and I personally think Cerra’s best games have been on the outside - he was rated in the top five wingers in the comp last year even though most of us didn’t recognise him as having played much on the wing.
Agree with Walters. His prime is forward. He can kick a lazy 3 often. I know he wants to be involved in the middle and having the ball, but opposition love him being in the half back well away from the goals.
He can get another AA if he plays a full year around Lobb/Tabs.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

Tend to agree with this, I think we are miscasting him a bit as a forward/HFF. I would want him on the wing personally pushing up to a HFF as required.

Agree with others suggesting Logue as a forward if all 4 of Pearce/Hamling/Cox are fit and we need the extra tall up front.

Ryan Pearce Wilson
Cox Hamling Young
Aish Serong Cerra
Crowden Tabs Tucker
Walters Lobb Schultz

Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe

Hughes Mundy Acres Logue

EMG: Conca

Might be a bit controversial on the Conca call but I think we're at the point where our young mids can handle themselves whereas 2 years ago it was a different story. Doubt Mundy plays all games as well.

Biggest area of weakness is wing followed by KPF. Our first pick really should be either one of those positions.

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tall Defenders:- Cox, Hambling, Logue, Pearce
Medium Defenders:- Blakely, Conca, Duman, Huges, Ryan, Wilson, Young
Inside Mid:- Bewley, Brayshaw, Cerra, Fyfe, Giro, Mundy, Serong, Valente
Wing/Outside Mid:- Acres, Aish, Hill, Tucker
Small Forward:- Colyer, Crowden, Henry, Shultz, Switkowski, Walters
Med Forward:- Banfield (190), Frederick (183), Sturt (189)
Tall Forward:- Taberner
Ruck:- Darcy, Lobb

Walk Up start - 16

Possible - 8
Emergency - 2

I have tried to break down our list by roles. Perhaps some comments on the applicability of certain players to certain roles might change my preferred list. It does highlight, to me anyway, some real issues picking outside mids. I just don't have any imediate picks.
Where a couple are contending for a spot I have generally taken the youthfull option.
Depending on oppostion it's Conca vs Young and Aish vs Tucker

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Tend to agree with this, I think we are miscasting him a bit as a forward/HFF. I would want him on the wing personally pushing up to a HFF as required.

Agree with others suggesting Logue as a forward if all 4 of Pearce/Hamling/Cox are fit and we need the extra tall up front.

Ryan Pearce Wilson
Cox Hamling Young
Aish Serong Cerra
Crowden Tabs Tucker
Walters Lobb Schultz

Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe

Hughes Mundy Acres Logue

EMG: Conca

Might be a bit controversial on the Conca call but I think we're at the point where our young mids can handle themselves whereas 2 years ago it was a different story. Doubt Mundy plays all games as well.

Biggest area of weakness is wing followed by KPF. Our first pick really should be either one of those positions.
I’m liking this set up. I’d add a couple of comments which are really due to the youth on our list.
  • Sturt has a strong case for consideration. He has speed and skill, and plays forward, all weak areas for us. If we really are going to transform our forward line in the coming season he needs inclusion from the start.
  • Valente will be penciled in to replace Mundy. He isn’t a walk up start but he is someone the club should be fast tracking.
  • I respect the idea that Henry isn’t quite ready but he needs games at the top level. Perhaps not a full season if wafl is functional, but half a dozen at some stage.
If we want to emerge from the rebuild in serious contention then these players development is critical.

Back