Toast Welcome to the Saints - JACK HIGGINS!

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me or does he look to be carrying a few too many kgs?

Not trying to have a dig at the bloke, some people are more naturally lean than others and his assets appear to be more in the footy smarts and skills department. But it could be an area that we could look at improving over the summer.

Yep. But that sort of ignores the individual. I was born 92 and honestly thought I'd die before I even saw Richmond make a Grand Final. Even after 2016 when I was most optimistic about our chances.

During the dark days of Richmond as I was growing up I had great empathy for the Saints, even as a kid I knew that what I was going through was a fraction of what some saints were experiencing.

Recent tiger success or not, I would have come in here and said exactly the same.

I know you weren't abusing me or jumping down my throat or anything, it was a good post, but the inclination to respond in that way can get a little tiring as a tiger supporter.

I value good sportsmanship over being a flog or even straight banter and I'm a little weary from everyone bringing up other Richmond supporters when all I was doing was voicing my positive sentiments for the saints and my joy at seeing higgo happy.

Genuinely like every club except collingwood and I'm not every single Richmond supporter. I'd like to have a conversation with another supporter without my clubs success being brought up as a cause for my comments or the fact that we have some ferals.

We might not have the length of pain that you guys have, but growing up and up until a few years ago Richmond were a joke. A brutal joke. My magnanimous nature is 100% more attributed to growing up in dark days rather than because of recent success.

Weird rant I know... And probably given to the wrong person but I would just like to be able to voice an opinion without others attaching qualifiers to it. I didn't come in here to talk about Richmond, our recent success or our supporters.

I'm just ******* stoked for Higgo and the Saints. I don't believe in 'deserve' in footy but by fu** do the saints deserve a Flag. And a premiership photo where the captain isn't in bloody pies colours.

I'm not ignorant to your pain.

Not having a go either 😂 little drunk also. This halfhearted melt has been a long time coming.
Good on you mate. Thanks for the positivity and kind thoughts.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

Not trying to have a dig at the bloke, some people are more naturally lean than others and his assets appear to be more in the footy smarts and skills department. But it could be an area that we could look at improving over the summer.
I agree, It looks like he's had a pretty relaxing off season so far, which is fair enough. I'm sure once his recharge is over, he'll be ready to get ripping on a hard preseason and get back into shape.

It starts with a haircut though! I'm hoping he's not growing it out so he can get one of those filthy mullets that are all the rage with AFL players right now, we need to stamp that s**t right out.

It doesn't help that he's wearing a really baggy, ill fitting retail jumper in some of the media rather than a skin tight player issue like we're used to. Makes him look more like a fan than a player.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Where do you guys reckon he will spend the majority of his time fwd or mid? I would have guessed mainly forward as I think he might just be below the bulk of saints mids and he is mighty crafty up forward. I know Butler plays a saints game in a saints system now but I still see plenty of 'Richmond' elements in his game, as condescending as that sounds. I reckon him and Higgo could be very deadly up front, especially with the team you've got now.

I think it he can get really fit then he could break into the midfield easy. I always liked his will and effort, he clearly has a bit of talent. Almost seems to have the mentality of footballers of yesteryear if that makes sense. A footy brain as opposed to an athletic brain. I might just be talking s**t though.

I'm pretty excited to watch the Saints next season. They were good to watch this year and as much as I don't like losing players, I now get to watch two extra (ex)tigers each week that might have otherwise missed out on games at my mob.

After your trade acquisitions last season I predicted a big rise for the Saints and was right. With this seasons trades, finals experience, a 'full' season together and a big preseason I'm pretty optimistic that rise will continue. I think the saints have overtaken brissy for 'biggest worry from an oppo point of view' in my mind. Can't see the ceiling yet. Good times coming.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
I ventured onto this board same time last year and gave little Dan Butler a pump up. At the time I thought Butler was very unlucky to have been pushed out of our best 22.

You've got a gun in Jack Higgins. Very clever, courageous, quick with his hands. And with a bigger tank he'll no doubt be very effective in the middle.

His kicking for goal on a set shot is the one thing that he needs to improve, because a player with his skill should convert more. He seems to struggle with anything more than 40m, although on the run he's better.

I wish him all the best.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Remember last pre season when Doug came a long last in the 2km time trial?

Zero concern over an unflattering photo... I'll take a player with footy nous instead of year round 6 pack abs.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I ventured onto this board same time last year and gave little Dan Butler a pump up. At the time I thought Butler was very unlucky to have been pushed out of our best 22.

You've got a gun in Jack Higgins. Very clever, courageous, quick with his hands. And with a bigger tank he'll no doubt be very effective in the middle.

His kicking for goal on a set shot is the one thing that he needs to improve, because a player with his skill should convert more. He seems to struggle with anything more than 40m, although on the run he's better.

I wish him all the best.

Can you come on next year wishing us the best with the acquisitions of Martin and Grimes please ;)

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Remember last pre season when Doug came a long last in the 2km time trial?

Zero concern over an unflattering photo... I'll take a player with footy nous instead of year round 6 pack abs.
True
Who is the specimen and who is the AFL footballer?
majak.jpg
fat jack.jpg

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Where do you guys reckon he will spend the majority of his time fwd or mid? I would have guessed mainly forward as I think he might just be below the bulk of saints mids and he is mighty crafty up forward. I know Butler plays a saints game in a saints system now but I still see plenty of 'Richmond' elements in his game, as condescending as that sounds. I reckon him and Higgo could be very deadly up front, especially with the team you've got now.

I think it he can get really fit then he could break into the midfield easy. I always liked his will and effort, he clearly has a bit of talent. Almost seems to have the mentality of footballers of yesteryear if that makes sense. A footy brain as opposed to an athletic brain. I might just be talking sh*t though.

I'm pretty excited to watch the Saints next season. They were good to watch this year and as much as I don't like losing players, I now get to watch two extra (ex)tigers each week that might have otherwise missed out on games at my mob.

After your trade acquisitions last season I predicted a big rise for the Saints and was right. With this seasons trades, finals experience, a 'full' season together and a big preseason I'm pretty optimistic that rise will continue. I think the saints have overtaken brissy for 'biggest worry from an oppo point of view' in my mind. Can't see the ceiling yet. Good times coming.

Higgins and Gresh are very similar players IMO... Gresh probably has him pace wise but both have high footy IQs.

If you compare their U18 careers both were dominant midfielders (albeit on the small side). The main difference in my view is that Gresh got plenty of midfield opportunities in a poor/developing side whereas Higgo was forced to play as a small forward due to the stacked Tiger's engine room. I can see them rotating between the middle and forward line once Higgo gets some runs on the board and kays in his legs.

I have no doubt he'll become a fan favorite very quickly... he's one of us after all!

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Higgins and Gresh are very similar players IMO... Gresh probably has him pace wise but both have high footy IQs.

If you compare their U18 careers both were dominant midfielders (albeit on the small side). The main difference in my view is that Gresh got plenty of midfield opportunities in a poor/developing side whereas Higgo was forced to play as a small forward due to the stacked Tiger's engine room. I can see them rotating between the middle and forward line once Higgo gets some runs on the board and kays in his legs.

I have no doubt he'll become a fan favorite very quickly... he's one of us after all!
Hadn't considered the Gresh comparison but I'm not as knowledgeable on saints players as you all. I imagine that should work nicely and help spread the midfield load a little for a few or your boys. I might be way off the mark here, but I feel like Higgo is probably a better bet to kick goals when forward. I reckon. They're just different enough that whoever is on them won't be able to just defend the same way when either is up front.

He's definitely a fan favourite type player and I imagine he'll endear himself to any saints supporters that are yet to come around. Especially if he is kicking goals like this.

Against collingwood too 😍. What a goal.

(any excuse to watch this again)

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hadn't considered the Gresh comparison but I'm not as knowledgeable on saints players as you all. I imagine that should work nicely and help spread the midfield load a little for a few or your boys. I might be way off the mark here, but I feel like Higgo is probably a better bet to kick goals when forward. I reckon. They're just different enough that whoever is on them won't be able to just defend the same way when either is up front.

He's definitely a fan favourite type player and I imagine he'll endear himself to any saints supporters that are yet to come around. Especially if he is kicking goals like this.

Probably off the mark, Gresh kicked 30 and 35 goals in his 2nd and 3rd seasons playing majority small forward. Higgins is very crafty around goals too but Gresham has won a few games off his own boot as well as kicked 5+ goals against your mob twice and showed signs of possibly progressing to be an elite small forward of the comp before he built up his tank and could spend more time in the midfield. It’ll be great to watch Higgins and Gresham rotating fwd/mid with eachother, if Higgins matches or even exceeds Gresham’s dangerousness around goals then we will have done very well!

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Way off the mark about Gresh as a goal kicker.

30.30 in his 2nd year - him and Billings had the 2 most shots on goal for players under the age of 22 that year, and then 35.20 the year after to win our goal kicking despite playing majority midfield in the last 6 weeks of the season.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Probably off the mark, Gresh kicked 30 and 35 goals in his 2nd and 3rd seasons playing majority small forward. Higgins is very crafty around goals too but Gresham has won a few games off his own boot as well as kicked 5+ goals against your mob twice and showed signs of possibly progressing to be an elite small forward of the comp before he built up his tank and could spend more time in the midfield. It’ll be great to watch Higgins and Gresham rotating fwd/mid with eachother, if Higgins matches or even exceeds Gresham’s dangerousness around goals then we will have done very well!
Way off the mark about Gresh as a goal kicker.

30.30 in his 2nd year - him and Billings had the 2 most shots on goal for players under the age of 22 that year, and then 35.20 the year after to win our goal kicking despite playing majority midfield in the last 6 weeks of the season.
Never has my one-eyed nature been more cruelly exposed.

What's most disappointing is I've done it to myself 😂

I had a niggling feeling about that, that's why I suggested I could be wrong 😂 I really need to start doing a little research before I open my mouth or a cursory google search at the very least.

Probably blocked out Gresh's goals because of the pain he's caused me.

Maurice Rioli Jnr put in paper work nominating Richmond and I've seen it suggested we could use the pick we got for Higgo on Jnr. If that plays out and Higgo goes well for you guys then it'll be a big win for all parties involved. Gotta love it.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
There will be one familiar face for Snags whenever the Saints are back at training.

View attachment 1015763
Little clue? I can see Snags but don't recognise the other people here. Who are they all?

EDIT: Is that Hunter Clarke up there in the top corner, second from the left? Interesting.

Never has my one-eyed nature been more cruelly exposed.

What's most disappointing is I've done it to myself

I had a niggling feeling about that, that's why I suggested I could be wrong I really need to start doing a little research before I open my mouth or a cursory google search at the very least.

Probably blocked out Gresh's goals because of the pain he's caused me.

Maurice Rioli Jnr put in paper work nominating Richmond and I've seen it suggested we could use the pick we got for Higgo on Jnr. If that plays out and Higgo goes well for you guys then it'll be a big win for all parties involved. Gotta love it.

I like that both Richmond and St Kilda didn’t mess around like Essendon does every year . They just got together and worked out a deal both teams are happy with . It you treat other teams the way Essendon does it comes back to haunt you because no one wants to deal with them .
Take Dunkley for example, I reckon that after being messed around by the Bombers , the Dogs probably said to Dunkley stay with us for another season and we will try get a reasonable deal next year with another team . I could be wrong of course but that’s what it seems like .

Sorry for Richmond fans of course because he was a popular player but maybe you might support the Saints a little when we aren’t playing you of course .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Little clue? I can see Snags but don't recognise the other people here. Who are they all?

EDIT: Is that Hunter Clarke up there in the top corner, second from the left? Interesting.

Yep that's Hunter 2nd from left. (Between Sam Taylor and Connor Ballenden.)

This photo's of the 2017 AIS/AFL Academy boys team who travelled over to the US of A to do some training and, Snags and Hunter, like the rest of them, were lucky to meet Matthew Dellavedova.

Yep that's Hunter 2nd from left. (Between Sam Taylor and Connor Ballenden.)

This photo's of the 2017 AIS/AFL Academy boys team who travelled over to the US of A to do some training and, Snags and Hunter, like the rest of them, were lucky to meet Matthew Dellavedova.

Looks like Worpol second row from the front on the left and Jayden Stephenson two to the right from Della. I reckon it might be Saint Oscar Clavarino up the back too. Pretty good year that one.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I was having a bit of a peruse of the stats on the AFL website last night, as one does. I was checking out James Frawley's 2020 stats, they didn't make for great viewing to be honest.

Anyway I thought I'd check out some of our other new players, and Jack Higgins' 2020 stats were quite a surprise! He was ranked as elite in many areas including effective disposals, intercept possessions, kicks and frees for.

Worth checking out, here is the link:

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I1002227/Higgins-Jack

Based on those stats, in a year he was coming off major surgery, he could be a very shrewd acquisition.

Back