Prediction Who should we take with pick 2?

Who do you want at pick 2?

• Riley Thilthorpe

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Elijah Hollands

Votes: 111 45.7%
  • Logan McDonald

Votes: 86 35.4%
  • Will Phillips

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Denver Grainger-Barras

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of media at the moment reporting our pick is up for grabs. Would want to be a sensational deal. A top level draft pick is the one consolation for a crap season.
We have been wide open that 2 and 11 are up for splitting - even as late as today Clayton reiterated this.

Doesn't mean we trade down but we are open to offers and this is exactly the right approach to take.

ideally if we could swap 2 for picks 4 and 5 we would do that but that offer wont be there.

My view is that in a difficult year like this it is better to have a few darts to throw at the board as long as one is in the top 5 and as long as we get another first rounder next year.

This leads us to most likely trading down to Gold Coast.

The * is intriguing - having 3 high consecutive picks 6,7,8 - allows you to be 'best available' but also 'needs based' in the one hit. I get the 'top 5' will be gone but there must be plenty of good talent still there to be had.

Swapping 2 and 11 for that plus their first rounder next year would be something to think about also.

Claytons comments suggest they have enough history on draft prospects to consider trading away our prized pick 2. I'm happy to back their judgement.
I think we need to judge the overall result from 2020 + 2021 as a package deal. A bit like Brown/Higgins vs Stevo/Atu as the end result, not individually.

I’d take 6&7 for 2 in a heartbeat.

These guys have limited exposed form this year. Players like Bont, Taranto and Oliver were last minute bolters because of their late season form.

There will be players down the order who don’t get the chance to be bolters this year.

Have two cracks at it.
Listening to Clayton, suggests there'll be a strong mid season draft for that reason and why we've made so many spots available.

Listening to Clayton, suggests there'll be a strong mid season draft for that reason and why we've made so many spots available.

It's very likely those clubs sitting 18th and 17th mid year essentially get what is the equivalent to 2 additional second round picks.

There may even be a complete 19 year old bolter next year that is viewed even higher by the mid point of next year.

It's very likely those clubs sitting 18th and 17th mid year essentially get what is the equivalent to 2 additional second round picks.

There may even be a complete 19 year old bolter next year that is viewed even higher by the mid point of next year.

Given that 19 year olds will be playing TAC (or whatever it's called now), are they allowed to be taken in the mid season? If so, this is a pretty big win for those sides.

Given that 19 year olds will be playing TAC (or whatever it's called now), are they allowed to be taken in the mid season? If so, this is a pretty big win for those sides.
Yes, they are. They are 'overagers'

Anyone who has previously nominated for the AFL draft is then eligible for the mid season draft.

Most 19 year olds in the system have put their names onto the draft register as an 18 year old and have become eligible.

The Nab League becomes an u/19 competition next year, so expect the mid season draft to increase in strength and importance over the next decade.

Until someone jags what looks like a top 10 pick in it, then it will get shut down.....

I havent looked at much footage but reading what has been written, theres similarities in what is said about McDonald to what was said about a dude named Josh Schache who was supposedly a clear top 2 pick.

Im more worried than excited about Pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I havent looked at much footage but reading what has been written, theres similarities in what is said about McDonald to what was said about a dude named Josh Schache who was supposedly a clear top 2 pick.

Im more worried than excited about Pick 2.
Not to say that he will be a bust like Schache but McDonald's profile seems similar to me too: high work rate leading forwards whose main attribute is endurance. That said I'm not much of a draft watcher. Can someone outline why McDonald is better?

Yes, they are. They are 'overagers'
Have the afl actually confirmed this, as I have not seen any media around this?
I honestly cant imagine clubs not having at least one list spot available for the mid season draft in 2021, which means the number of picks taken in this draft would be less?

Not to say that he will be a bust like Schache but McDonald's profile seems similar to me too: high work rate leading forwards whose main attribute is endurance. That said I'm not much of a draft watcher. Can someone outline why McDonald is better?
For me, the main thing is that McDonald did it against adults all year.
I was in the trading pick 2 camp, then have moved back to keeping it. Take McDonald/Hollands and Cox with our first two picks.

I don't know what the right play is, thus we need to trust in the List Management team
But lets not try and rebuild in a draft - it will take at LEAST 2

We have been wide open that 2 and 11 are up for splitting - even as late as today Clayton reiterated this.

Doesn't mean we trade down but we are open to offers and this is exactly the right approach to take.

ideally if we could swap 2 for picks 4 and 5 we would do that but that offer wont be there.

My view is that in a difficult year like this it is better to have a few darts to throw at the board as long as one is in the top 5 and as long as we get another first rounder next year.

This leads us to most likely trading down to Gold Coast.

The * is intriguing - having 3 high consecutive picks 6,7,8 - allows you to be 'best available' but also 'needs based' in the one hit. I get the 'top 5' will be gone but there must be plenty of good talent still there to be had.

Swapping 2 and 11 for that plus their first rounder next year would be something to think about also.
Probably wouldnt land Phillips with 6/7/8.. you take Logan if available, you take the best available, * the rest and when have we ever had pick 2? Nuh, unless its a swap for pick 1.. It should not even be up for discussion. Hopefully NMFC are Trolling the comp

I think we need to judge the overall result from 2020 + 2021 as a package deal. A bit like Brown/Higgins vs Stevo/Atu as the end result, not individually.
All drafts need to be judged like that; i remember people wringing their hands about giving up a first rounder for jed Anderson; but if you then factor in the Bastinac trade to Brisbane, the overall outcome was Jed and Ben McKay for Bastinac and our first rounder - clearly a win

I expect us to strongly consider #2 for the GC #5 plus their first from next year, and evaluating that will take 3 years minimum. If we can turn one top ten pick into two, we'd have to look at it

Hollands has the highest ceiling of any player in this years draft - Bont/Fyfe like. Hasn’t been tested all that much on the inside but North are stacked in that respect - Simpkin (inside and outside, although best footy is inside owing to his less than elite disposal), Cunners, Anderson. LDU is inside/outside but does phenomenal work when he’s given a bit of space. Hollands outside work, line breaking kicking and ability on either side is way too good to pass up. Could be a top 5 mid in the game in a few years. Paired with LDU, would set our midfield up nicely.

If Perkins slips, would be great to get him with our second pick and then load up on whatever KPPs remain. North’s biggest problem for the last 20 years has been inability to control the ball in the middle, we’ve always had a second or third tier midfield (with the occasional great player like Harvey or Higgins). This draft is our chance to address that major gap which will then place us strongly to attract forwards and defenders or draft them.

Obviously Adelaide could * that up for us by taking Hollands but that’s looking less likely with the massive media pump up of McDonald and Thilthorp.

Hollands has the highest ceiling of any player in this years draft - Bont/Fyfe like. Hasn’t been tested all that much on the inside but North are stacked in that respect - Simpkin (inside and outside, although best footy is inside owing to his less than elite disposal), Cunners, Anderson. LDU is inside/outside but does phenomenal work when he’s given a bit of space. Hollands outside work, line breaking kicking and ability on either side is way too good to pass up. Could be a top 5 mid in the game in a few years. Paired with LDU, would set our midfield up nicely.

If Perkins slips, would be great to get him with our second pick and then load up on whatever KPPs remain. North’s biggest problem for the last 20 years has been inability to control the ball in the middle, we’ve always had a second or third tier midfield (with the occasional great player like Harvey or Higgins). This draft is our chance to address that major gap which will then place us strongly to attract forwards and defenders or draft them.

Obviously Adelaide could fu** that up for us by taking Hollands but that’s looking less likely with the massive media pump up of McDonald and Thilthorp.
Yeah I’m leaning towards Hollands now also due to him having a very high ceiling

Phillips I like also but is very much a lower risk lower reward pick

Want either of the 2 vic mids if Logan is gone

Re Hollands - Hypothetically, worst case that he isn't able to become a full-time mid - He & Stephenson would become a seriously damaging forward combination.

If this whole zone 3 forwards in the 50 goes ahead, a forward 3 of Thomas, Stephenson & Holland would be about as damaging as you'd find in the comp in a couple years time IMO.

Back