Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pattinson over Starc/Hazelwood any day of the week in my book. Its a shame he has not been able to get on the park as much as he has been able to. They talk about Burns holding his spot because of last summer but what about Patto? His bowling at the end of the summer vs NZ was exceptional. He is a lock for mine.

No, not for a D/N test.

Pattinson has bowled reasonably well since his return to the side, but (much like Starc) he still has his down periods and so doesn't hold up an end like Hazlewood can.

Not as good as Hazelewood, Starc and Cummins. It's just not going to happen. They want the lefty for variety and it helps Lyon bowling into footmarks on the last day. Hazelwood is less likely to leave us 1 short as Pattinson is like Bruce Reid always breaking down. The only change might be Pucovski for Burns that's it. We aren't going to have 2, 3, 4 changes to a side that whilst I have queries, retained the Ashes.

Lol, you complain when Marsh is picked because they want an all rounder but want a lesser bowler picked because he is a left arm bowler...

Lol, you complain when Marsh is picked because they want an all rounder but want a lesser bowler picked because he is a left arm bowler...

It helps Lyon and it’s a pink ball test you want to look up Starc with the pink ball? He’d be the first one picked.

He's had three innings since that 197 and the most recent one was 56, also bowling some tidy overs; define 'very little'.

He needed another hundred. Needs to bash the door down. Whilst he’s a great talent there’s no rush.

First Class batting average of 50 and bowling average of 22 across 19 matches.

I wasn't actually calling for him to play the first Test, but I was questioning your definition of 'very little'.

When you are talking about him playing over Head who was very good last summer and Wade who has played some important knocks it’s more the weight of runs this year. The bowling is a bonus he needs to be genuinely batting like a top 5-6 test bat. Not sure he’s there just yet. There’s no rush

When you are talking about him playing over Head who was very good last summer and Wade who has played some important knocks it’s more the weight of runs this year. The bowling is a bonus he needs to be genuinely batting like a top 5-6 test bat. Not sure he’s there just yet. There’s no rush
Matthew Wade has a Test average of 31 across 30 tests, let's not pretend its Bradman holding Green out.

Matthew Wade has a Test average of 31 across 30 tests, let's not pretend its Bradman holding Green out.

Never said he was but he was very good last summer and in England. We are playing the best side in test cricket, wouldn’t want too many debuts

Yeah I think it comes more down to Starc or Patto, Cummins obviously arguably the best in the world and Hoff I like in as he's just so consistent he always knows how to bowl in partnerships and build pressure.

I don't think he does. He has been on the verge of selection for the past two years. They have wanted to play him at Test level. He has just scored two double centuries. If you don't get picked on that form, then the selectors need to take up another sport.

If only selection was that easy. It’s a much more complicated beast than that. To be fair. The worst thing for Wills career could be to get picked now on a couple of good matches. He needs long sustained form to build confidence that will be resilient enough in the rigorous test arena.
Im not convinced he will be able to cope with the time away from home to be honest.

Yeah I think it comes more down to Starc or Patto, Cummins obviously arguably the best in the world and Hoff I like in as he's just so consistent he always knows how to bowl in partnerships and build pressure.
You must be joking. There is no competition between starc and Patto. Starc is well ahead there.

You must be joking. There is no competition between starc and Patto. Starc is well ahead there.

Especially in a pink ball test! Have people forgotten how good Starc is with the pink ball?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not if you go on their records he is not.

Starc is incredibly overrated in test cricket and this summer as the only of the 4 test quicks to be playing Shield cricket, he was only the 6th best quick behind Copeland, Bird, Neser, Boland and Abbott.

I'd play with Starc, but he does have periods of form in which he is rather average. When he is hot he is hot though.

Very rarely does Starc not bowl well with the pink ball, in fact he's won a bucket of MOTM awards under D/N test conditions. He's playing not even close.

Not if you go on their records he is not.

Starc is incredibly overrated in test cricket and this summer as the only of the 4 test quicks to be playing Shield cricket, he was only the 6th best quick behind Copeland, Bird, Neser, Boland and Abbott.

All you've indicated is that picking bowlers solely on SS form is a surprisingly fraught exercise.

All you've indicated is that picking bowlers solely on SS form is a surprisingly fraught exercise.

So you pick Starc on the vibe? Test record he’s the worst of the 4, Shield record he’s not in the conversation. But he’s a left armer that bowls fast so pick him

So you pick Starc on the vibe? Test record he’s the worst of the 4, Shield record he’s not in the conversation. But he’s a left armer that bowls fast so pick him

Starc's played many more Tests than Pattinson and averaged around 20 last summer, plus he's always dangerous in D/N Tests.

I like Pattinson but it's hardly a fair comparison.

So he's not being picked on 'the vibe', he's being picked due to good recent Test performances plus the incumbency rule.

Starc's played many more Tests than Pattinson and averaged around 20 last summer, plus he's always dangerous in D/N Tests.

I like Pattinson but it's hardly a fair comparison.

So he's not being picked on 'the vibe', he's being picked due to good recent Test performances plus the incumbency rule.

Plus and don't underestimate this, India have a number of left handers, Starc helps rough it up for Lyon to aim into.

Plus and don't underestimate this, India have a number of left handers, Starc helps rough it up for Lyon to aim into.
You understand that a left arm bowler actually creates rough to a right hand batsman yeah?

Luckily for your point every top 6 batsman India have picked in their squad is actually right handed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back