Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Never have I seen a bunch of fans so devoted to their list manager. Their list manager!!!!!!!!!!

Half of us want him gone. The Dunkley scenario isn't remotely close to one of the reasons for it.

Could they have negotiated for our future first though? Dodoro specifically said our future first was not on the table.

we would have been negligent in offering our future first (likely to be top 5) for Dunkley as part of 2 x First Rounders. Next years draft is stacked. Unless there was something decent coming back. Maybe we offered it but the dogs offered nothing back? who knows.

At the end of the day I'm pretty happy we moved on. Can't win them all.

Never have I seen a bunch of fans so devoted to their list manager. Their list manager!!!!!!!!!!

This is a bit of a stretch........

i'd comfortably day half of our fan base want him gone......

we would have been negligent in offering our future first (likely to be top 5) for Dunkley as part of 2 x First Rounders. Next years draft is stacked. Unless there was something decent coming back. Maybe we offered it but the dogs offered nothing back? who knows.

At the end of the day I'm pretty happy we moved on. Can't win them all.
We all know he didn't offer it. Come on now...

Nah, Dodoro lives rent free in the media and oppo fans heads, so us fans have just turned him into a meme because we haven't got much else going for us.

What if Dunkley ennd up winning the Brownlow or Norm Smith next year? Does his value stay the same or still go down next year? And will he want to go to Essendon if they finish on the bottom?

We'll see where it sits by draft day I suppose, there's nothing saying Essendon can't or won't make other moves with their draft selections. Even if they take all 3 to the draft, plus next years, that's 4 chances for best-22 players to fill a number of holes on the list, of which there's many. Dunkley isn't the difference between winning a Premiership in 2021 or not, whereas Cameron could well be that exact player for Geelong.

It's not though. Essendon's outgoing value was commensurate with what Neale, Treloar or Shiel all went for. And was more than what Cameron went for.

That this year was a year where it happened that the Bulldogs had an NGA player who was going to wipe out a first round bid isn't Essendon's fault, and it doesn't change the outgoing value of the picks offered by Essendon.

I can almost guarantee you that Dunkley, the Bulldogs, Pickering and Essendon are significantly less upset about a trade not being done than the posters on BigFooty seem to be.

Who ever said that? The Dogs had a contracted player that they didn't want to trade, and didn't need to trade, so they didn't trade him.

Again, it's not particularly controversial.
Nobody is saying it's Essendon's fault, he was nearly mentioning that the picks after eaten up by JUH would be basically him for Dunkley. Now we have both, hence why the two top ten picks were going to be sent to North pluss a bit extra to nab pick 2 and Logan. I believe there was discussions about that happening with the Kagaroo's in a Hypothetical.

A lot don't realise both sides missed an opportunity, not just Essendon. Both sides had an opportunity to make their sides stronger.
We did get stronger, by keeping a young gun, getting an established gun and will be going to nab the best forward/kid in the draft, no to mention a chop out for English in the ruck for a year or two.

How is a top 10 and future 2nd lowball?
I think you need to look up the definition of low ball.
You need to look up the definition of the phrase, Dodoro's trade requests. Would you accept that for Merret if he had two years left instead of one? I'll answer for Dodo, NO CHANCE IN HEL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is that relevant to Dunkley winning a Brownlow or the Coleman? Neither are happening in 2021 at the Bulldogs.
It was premiership and norm if I recall, it is relevant, because that could happen. Saying it won't because he is at the Dogs is plain stupid. Like it is for you to hear your club will win the spoon.

It was premiership and norm if I recall, it is relevant, because that could happen. Saying it won't because he is at the Dogs is plain stupid. Like it is for you to hear your club will win the spoon.

Brownlow & Norm Smith.

Either way, playing alongside Bont / Macrae / Treloar / Smith he's not getting enough votes for the Brownlow, and Bont would clearly be the favourite for the Norm Smith.

Of course, logic has no relevance to you it seems. Where Essendon finishes has no bearing on the above.

Brownlow & Norm Smith.

Either way, playing alongside Bont / Macrae / Treloar / Smith he's not getting enough votes for the Brownlow, and Bont would clearly be the favourite for the Norm Smith.

Of course, logic has no relevance to you it seems. Where Essendon finishes has no bearing on the above.
What you are putting up and getting hammered for tells me you are the one with no logic.
His best year so far when he only played 3 quarters in the middle, I remember he got a fair few votes.
Hypothetical the dogs win the premiership, he has every chance to do those two things despite our deep midfield.
I guarrentee you he will play more pure mid next year..
Saying two top ten's is Judd territory shows you have no clue.
You had to cough up a future first and one of your firsts this year, if it meant getting the trade done for a player you tried to poach with a rediculous money offer and a side dish of we will help your brother out.
Ill tell you, like I've told other of your fans on here, the crap about lack of midfield time and rucking a few times were not the reason you got his attention to seek to go to your bottom of the barrel club.
Use your picks this year to get future gun players id suggest your club do, instead of living in the 80's and trying to buy them.
Apart from Trelore this year, our side is made up of drafted players we have developed.
Moving on as I'm done with you. Cheers.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying it's Essendon's fault, he was nearly mentioning that the picks after eaten up by JUH would be basically him for Dunkley. Now we have both, hence why the two top ten picks were going to be sent to North pluss a bit extra to nab pick 2 and Logan. I believe there was discussions about that happening with the Kagaroo's in a Hypothetical.
kinda was our fault.

Pies 1st is clearly on the table (and must have been discussed as part of the 3 way option)
Dees 1st went to Brisbane...so again, clearly on the table.
Our 1st next year could be split into 2 (brisbane now hold theirs and the Dees).

If we were 100% committed to getting Dunkley, he would be playing for us next year.

kinda was our fault.

Pies 1st is clearly on the table (and must have been discussed as part of the 3 way option)
Our 1st next year could be split into 2 (brisbane now hold theirs and the Dees).

If we were 100% committed to getting Dunkley, he would be playing for us next year.
I would have said yes to two of the Bombers firsts.
Essendon should really get norths pick 2, with two of them and change, grab Logan and use the other top 10 pick to pick say F Macrae.

What you are putting up and getting hammered for tells me you are the one with no logic.
His best year so far when he only played 3 quarters in the middle, I remember he got a fair few votes.
Hypothetical the dogs win the premiership, he has every chance to do those two things despite our deep midfield.
I guarrentee you he will play more pure mid next year..
Saying two top ten's is Judd territory shows you have no clue.
You had to cough up a future first and one of your firsts this year, if it meant getting the trade done for a player you tried to poach with a rediculous money offer and a side dish of we will help your brother out.
Ill tell you, like I've told other of your fans on here, the crap about lack of midfield time and rucking a few times were not the reason you got his attention to seek to go to your bottom of the barrel club.
Use your picks this year to get future gun players id suggest your club do, instead of living in the 80's and trying to buy them.
Apart from Trelore this year, our side is made up of drafted players we have developed.
Moving on as I'm done with you. Cheers.

That's a lot of words to say I was right.

kinda was our fault.

I think the 2021 first and a 2020 second plus extras would have gotten the deal over the line.
It was an odd year given our JUH bidding.

I suspect Dunkley requests a trade at the end of 2021. He won't be used in the ruck again but he sure as hell won't be a full time mid when we've added Treloar and even if/when libba is managed we'll have Macrae, Bont and Smith both demanding centre rotations.

It will be interesting if Essendon sign Kyle too. If another team signs him (north?) they'd be the front runners for Josh's services.

It will be interesting if Essendon sign Kyle too. If another team signs him (north?) they'd be the front runners for Josh's services.

I imagine North & Essendon are the two he'd walk in to a starting inside midfield role. Cunnington is close to done, which leaves LDU / Anderson / Simpkin I think.

Most other VIC sides have guys that already play through there and can't really play elsewhere.

I think the 2021 first and a 2020 second plus extras would have gotten the deal over the line.
It was an odd year given our JUH bidding.

I suspect Dunkley requests a trade at the end of 2021. He won't be used in the ruck again but he sure as hell won't be a full time mid when we've added Treloar and even if/when libba is managed we'll have Macrae, Bont and Smith both demanding centre rotations.

we need mid depth. i'd certainly give him a crack.
Worst case, he doesn't work out but he gets a chance at a club with little inside mid depth.
Best case, he helps us get Josh over the line

Next year will be interesting though.
We were keen on Oliver in 2015. He's OOC. We have cash. If we lose Merrett we'll have even more.
i imagine we'll match Merrett regardless and force a trade. So Oliver could come into contention as well as Dunkley (one likely, both not completely out of the realm of possibility)

I hope we approach it with a little more pragmatism.

The best way to summarise Essendon's trade approach for Dunkley is:

"We'll give you something you don't really want for something you don't really want to give up. Anything you might actually want is off the table."

Fantasy land trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back