Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Claim here

Last edited:

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He seemed to get under Grundy's skin a bit last week which was great. It would be good to see him get forward for a goal early and make Goldy respect him going the other way - even if it's a bit contrived (look to spot up Phillips to have an early shot).

More than anything though he clearly is loving his football which is great to watch as a supporter.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Goldy beat him comfortably. Reckon there was a bit of the wily old technician using his experience to overcome the tag Phillips applied to Grundy.

Because it was a second up performance it could be added to the "no good second up" narrative but I think it's the reality of a player who is limited.

It's not necessarily easy to explain. One-off performances like the one against Grundy require a level of application that can't be realistically produced more than for a special occasion a few times a year. If it was any different or he was a better player he wouldn't be at his third club.

I think he's now just as likely to get beaten by Rhys Stanley for physical presence next week as he is to be up for a scrap against Nic Nat (which he probably still loses honorably).

It's fine. He's perfectly adequate relief and I'd still pick him over Bellchambers.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Whilst his energy didn't seem quite at the same level this week he was still reliably competitive for 4 quarters. The midfield needs to get used to playing with him as well as he may be our ruck for some important games later in the season.

Unless he falls away even further (significantly) i would at least give him a solid block of games - there's nothing left to learn about T-Bell. If he keeps his performance somewhere between last week and this week then leave him in until Draper.

Hit out wise it was pretty even, but got smashed around the ground. I would still rather his effort than whatever dogshit Bellcho offers.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone want to set me straight on how good Draper is going to be? An actual A quality ruckman? And if so.. is that going to happen later this year, 2021 or later on?

Phillips is a solid B.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Pretty clear that he's 3rd in line now. Might stay there, pending Crauford as a forward/ruck or pure ruck?
If you say it enough it might come true.

Chief Hopper

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon won most of the centre bounces, in part because Hawks were undermanned, but also because of Phillips.
He's been great for Essendon, a big contrast to Clarke last year and Bellchambers drop in form.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon won most of the centre bounces, in part because Hawks were undermanned, but also because of Phillips.
He's been great for Essendon, a big contrast to Clarke last year and Bellchambers drop in form.

Hes not even that good - he’s just physically capable of competing at AFL level. Bellchambers is not.

Didn’t do anything particularly great but jeez he’s a big upgrade on Bellchambers. Just his ability to physically compete and keep up with the game.

Phillips was second in the game for clearances, fourth for contested possessions, and Essendon scored six goals to one from stoppages with him in the ruck.

Did heaps. Aside from raw hit out numbers, he dominated.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
1 year deal.

We've made some seriously puzzling decisions when its come to rucks over the last 10 years. This was the easiest choice we had to make, and I'm still surprised we did it. Good job.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
that's right

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Phillips was second in the game for clearances, fourth for contested possessions, and Essendon scored six goals to one from stoppages with him in the ruck.

Did heaps. Aside from raw hit out numbers, he dominated.
That game against the Pies....he was fantastic.

Back