Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
A while since we have seen him,his block of games that prompted that was 150 disposals with 1 clanger roughly every 9 disposals,Selwood this season was roughly 1 clanger every 5.5 disposals.What am I missing?
A 1 metre handpass to somebody else to do the yakka counts as 100%.
Shades of GHS and the early Menegola.
And it was he himself who said he had to work on his disposal.

Wait Zuthrie got 2 years? Definitely bat-worthy
Zuthrie hasn't been re-signed at this stage but is reported to be amongst a group of 3 - Narkle & Jarvis, who are in a wait & see mode in terms of list sizes & available spots

No updates as to any movement in terms of contracts for any of those 3 at this stage

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Zuthrie hasn't been re-signed at this stage but is reported to be amongst a group of 3 - Narkle & Jarvis, who are in a wait & see mode in terms of list sizes & available spots

No updates as to any movement in terms of contracts for any of those 3 at this stage
They're waiting for the AFL to firm-up on list numbers aren't they?

Narkle - Yes

Jarvis - Haven't seen enough

Zuthries - No. But I know he'll be the first of the 3 signed. Must have pictures of Scott or Lloyd.:oops:

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like Stephens and Constable are similar types and will be competing against each other. I haven’t yet seen any evidence that Stephens is ahead of Constable though. Tough first year having said that.
Stephens endurance base would have him ahead of Constable injury free and I'm not surprised to hear he's been developed in other positions this season, think we have a good player here and wouldn't put it past him playing early next year myself.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Stephens endurance base would have him ahead of Constable injury free and I'm not surprised to hear he's been developed in other positions this season, think we have a good player here and wouldn't put it past him playing early next year myself.

At this stage Constable has shown he can win his own footy at AFL level. Hopefully Stephens can as well. I’m not getting too bullish on Stephens until I see him play.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
At this stage Constable has shown he can win his own footy at AFL level. Hopefully Stephens can as well. I’m not getting too bullish on Stephens until I see him play.
I've seen Stephens once in a preseason game on the Goldcoast,not sure why but played time in the back line and looked totally lost,He was a big part of me making the trip that evening and that pissed me off,why would they do that.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I've seen Stephens once in a preseason game on the Goldcoast,not sure why but played time in the back line and looked totally lost,He was a big part of me making the trip that evening and that pissed me off,why would they do that.

Not sure other than to develop part of his game I presume? Hope he looks less lost as a midfielder.

Bit of a bump....was doing a clean up and came across this thread....

Not much talk about CC...and apparently no interest from other clubs..and not being talked up in the build up to the 2021 season.....you would think its now or never for him.

There will be opportunities at sometime during the season...perhaps in the practice match against the Dons.

Time to put on a show quick smart......if he's good enough.

Cooper Stephens might have a say about CC's prospects this season...

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Bit of a bump....was doing a clean up and came across this thread....

Not much talk about CC...and apparently no interest from other clubs..and not being talked up in the build up to the 2021 season.....you would think its now or never for him.

There will be opportunities at sometime during the season...perhaps in the practice match against the Dons.

Time to put on a show quick smart......if he's good enough.

Cooper Stephens might have a say about CC's prospects this season...
I expect Sam Simpson to have say in it again as soon as he recover from injury.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Charlie is 21. Let that sink in for a second. 21 years of age and averages 20 disposals from 9 games played.
The critisicm of him is absoltuely mind boggling. We are crying out for a big bodied mid to come through as Dangerfield and Selwood decline. With Duncan and Higgins already in the twilight of their careers, be nice to have Constable step up and get some invaluable game time.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Charlie is 21. Let that sink in for a second. 21 years of age and averages 20 disposals from 9 games played.
The critisicm of him is absoltuely mind boggling. We are crying out for a big bodied mid to come through as Dangerfield and Selwood decline. With Duncan and Higgins already in the twilight of their careers, be nice to have Constable step up and get some invaluable game time.
I thought he was very good in the first practice match last week as well, got involved in plenty and looked clean by hand and foot. Fitness is far easier to improve than learning how to find the footy, and Constable has the latter in absolute spades.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Some of the comments read more like a desperation for him to fail. Why is beyond me.

He's played 9 senior games, and looked (unlike plenty of others) at home immediately. Once upon a time that might have been looked at as a positive.

I don’t think it is about criticism v praise. Boils down to the clubs actions thus far.

Normally a guy averaging what he does under 21 would have become a staple in the side, and seen as a promising talent to pump games into.

Yet at Geelong in 2019 he was dropped and multiple second hand info emerged about his tank, defensive spread and ball watching being issues.

2020 and assistant coach Scarlett mentions endurance and states outright it would be hard for him to play whilst Danger and Selwood are in the team. Which is what happens.

2021 and interchanges are reduced down to 75. Making football even more focussed on endurance and multi position players (resting rather than taking up an I/C rotation) both are areas Charlie needs to work on.

Higgins comes in a may play the Ablett role. Smith means Tuohy can play back. Club seem keen to get Clark in.

when fit still leaves the midfield group as Danger, Sel, Menegola, Duncan, Guthrie, Higgins, Parfitt.

Danger: Mid, Fwd
Selwood: Inside mid
Menegola: inside mid, wing
Duncan: Inside mid, wing, Halfback
Higgins: Inside mid, wing, halfback, half forward.
Parfitt: inside mid, half forward
Guthrie: Inside mid, wing, halfback
Charlie: inside mid.

So we are stacked with guys who can play inside mid, Charlie’s only position, and most are versatile. Even Cooper Stephens is working on his halfback skills as a way to develop.

Like I said, 75 rotations may be make or break for Constable. He merely can’t be just as good as most our guys on the inside, he has to be a better option as he is pigeonholed into one role only

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Constable did all he had to do last week. Keep that up and hit a few targets by foot over 40m + and he will be a keeper.

I was surprised no other club was interested last November.

He has a year to convince Geelong. I hope he does, sort of reminds me of Hawthorn and Kennedy.

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I don’t think it is about criticism v praise. Boils down to the clubs actions thus far.

Normally a guy averaging what he does under 21 would have become a staple in the side, and seen as a promising talent to pump games into.

Yet at Geelong in 2019 he was dropped and multiple second hand info emerged about his tank, defensive spread and ball watching being issues.

2020 and assistant coach Scarlett mentions endurance and states outright it would be hard for him to play whilst Danger and Selwood are in the team. Which is what happens.

2021 and interchanges are reduced down to 75. Making football even more focussed on endurance and multi position players (resting rather than taking up an I/C rotation) both are areas Charlie needs to work on.

Higgins comes in a may play the Ablett role. Smith means Tuohy can play back. Club seem keen to get Clark in.

when fit still leaves the midfield group as Danger, Sel, Menegola, Duncan, Guthrie, Higgins, Parfitt.

Danger: Mid, Fwd
Selwood: Inside mid
Menegola: inside mid, wing
Duncan: Inside mid, wing, Halfback
Higgins: Inside mid, wing, halfback, half forward.
Parfitt: inside mid, half forward
Guthrie: Inside mid, wing, halfback
Charlie: inside mid.

So we are stacked with guys who can play inside mid, Charlie’s only position, and most are versatile. Even Cooper Stephens is working on his halfback skills as a way to develop.

Like I said, 75 rotations may be make or break for Constable. He merely can’t be just as good as most our guys on the inside, he has to be a better option as he is pigeonholed into one role only
Reckon Menegola,Duncan,Higgins and Guthrie do their best work on the outside,a fit Narkle is another I consider an inside mid as well.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Constable did all he had to do last week. Keep that up and hit a few targets by foot over 40m + and he will be a keeper.

I was surprised no other club was interested last November.

He has a year to convince Geelong. I hope he does, sort of reminds me of Hawthorn and Kennedy.
Shrinking list sizes aren’t going to help guys like him get picked up.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Some of the comments read more like a desperation for him to fail. Why is beyond me.

He's played 9 senior games, and looked (unlike plenty of others) at home immediately. Once upon a time that might have been looked at as a positive.
Its not mind boggling. He became a partisan issue when he was dropped during our hot streak in 2019 between the "club is always right" faction of our supporter base and the "independent thinkers" faction of our supporter base. He is a political issue.

the "club is always right" faction now constantly attack him to justify their worldview of the club always being right.

Its not mind boggling. He became a partisan issue when he was dropped during our hot streak in 2019 between the "club is always right" faction of our supporter base and the "independent thinkers" faction of our supporter base. He is a political issue.

the "club is always right" faction now constantly attack him to justify their worldview of the club always being right.

Or some people just see both sides of the issue re Charlie and have no political views at all. Not everyone fits a stereotype.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams
The fact we told Chook that he's free to look for a new team and then no one else wanted him should be a wake-up call for him and I really hope it is. He has the potential for a huge ceiling but needs to work hard to reach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back