News Mackay re-signs for 2021 + Gallucci, Poholke, Crocker delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca48

Debutant
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm just dreaming of doing a re-draft of the 2016 draft (where Gooch and Poh were picked), assuming all the players picked above our picks went to the same clubs. I'm thinking:
Pick 15: take your pick - Jarrod Berry(pick 17)/Shai Bolton (pick 29)/Tom Stewart (pick 40)
Pick 44: Jack Graham (Draft pick 53)
Pick 51: Rowan Marshall (Rookie pick 10)
Pick 75: Cameron Zurhaar (Rookie pick 11)

Things you do when you don't want to work.....

Kane Johnson

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is an announcement from the legend David Mackay himself - To all the haters, I look forward to hearing from you all in 15 years when my son become a father son selection and wins a brownlow and guides the club to a flag in his first year. MACKAY POWER!

LONG LIVE MACKAY!

This is an announcement from the legend David Mackay himself - To all the haters, I look forward to hearing from you all in 15 years when my son become a father son selection and wins a brownlow and guides the club to a flag in his first year. MACKAY POWER!

LONG LIVE MACKAY!

I hope his son does all of that. Would make playing his dad for 120 games too long worthwhile.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

LONG LIVE MACKAY!
It will be a nice touch for David to get to play with his son :)

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Correct - McGregor was taken at pick 75 in the 1998 AFL Draft. Matthew Pavlich did nominate in the 1998 AFL draft but no-one picked him up. He then played for WWTFC in the SANFL in 1999 and remember going to their games and remarking how dominant he was playing CHF as a 17 year old!

Matthew Pavlich was pick 4 in the 1999 AFL Draft. Both pick 1 & 2 were priority picks - Collingwood (1 - Josh Fraser) and Fremantle (2 - Paul Haselby) respectively then normal picks Richmond (3 - Aaron Fiora) then Fremantle (4 - Matthew Pavlich).

So yes it was under Malcolm Blight’s reign.
I seem to remember claims about Pav having shoulder issues in 1998, so was possibly the reason for being overlooked at that point.
He was very good in 1999 to the point where he played in the SANFL vs VFL match that year.

flashcrow

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#weflyasone
All that polishing made him hungry...
poo.jpg

Kane Johnson

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
only one man can show the leadership and elite preparation skills that SA needs to get through this COVID crisis

LONG LIVE MACKAY!

Thoughts

Mackay - I can tolerate this, we saw in 2020 that Nicks used him as a "in case of emergency, break glass" scenerio. If Hamill stays on the park, I can not foresee Mackay getting much gametime.

Gallucci - Undecided. He only ever looked to be a depth player. That 20-25 type selection. I cant see him becoming much anywhere other than MAYBE Richmond or the Bulldogs (And why would either take him when itd just be as a list clogger). And I dont think it's the greatest loss.

Crocker - He had a few good games early this season where I was impressed, but while Keays took off and become better, Crocker seemed to go missing and never get back in it. He could work in the right system, but with where we're at, I dont think he adds enough to our team, and I think he'd be a list clogger robbing someone else of opportunity. I think he'd be a good pickup for a stacked team who want a depth player and their very own version of DMac (yes, different roles, but I think he could be that "in case of emergency, break glass" player)

Poholke - Interesting, very interesting. I think his drawbacks restrict him from being a midfielder. But his positive attributes would make him a great forward. He is an extremely strong contested mark, and has good positioning in one on one contests. He could be very very good in the right team. I cant see how we could've made it work with where our team is at and list profile. Youd have to change our forward structure consideribly to make him fit into our team. I believe he'll make a very good forward, but hed have to slip into the right system. And we are not it. A team like Brisbane, a team like Richmond, a team like Port Adelaide, a team like Melbourne, a team like Fremantle - He'd work great in their structures. But a team like us, a team like West Coast, a team like Geelong - Would be a complete failure and a liability to the team. I Know Poholke has the talent to be very good, but he'll never realise it in our team. I hope he goes somewhere else in the right system. If he can land in that right system, he could be the best ex-crow since Phil Davis. I could see him as a 40goal a year forward IN THE RIGHT SYSTEM. Here he'd be lucky to get 14.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
I hope his son does all of that. Would make playing his dad for 120 games too long worthwhile.
I hope he does too. I disagree about the 120 games too long though.
If we were exemplary in our manner and management it would still be the same.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts

Mackay - I can tolerate this, we saw in 2020 that Nicks used him as a "in case of emergency, break glass" scenerio. If Hamill stays on the park, I can not foresee Mackay getting much gametime.

Gallucci - Undecided. He only ever looked to be a depth player. That 20-25 type selection. I cant see him becoming much anywhere other than MAYBE Richmond or the Bulldogs (And why would either take him when itd just be as a list clogger). And I dont think it's the greatest loss.

Crocker - He had a few good games early this season where I was impressed, but while Keays took off and become better, Crocker seemed to go missing and never get back in it. He could work in the right system, but with where we're at, I dont think he adds enough to our team, and I think he'd be a list clogger robbing someone else of opportunity. I think he'd be a good pickup for a stacked team who want a depth player and their very own version of DMac (yes, different roles, but I think he could be that "in case of emergency, break glass" player)

Poholke - Interesting, very interesting. I think his drawbacks restrict him from being a midfielder. But his positive attributes would make him a great forward. He is an extremely strong contested mark, and has good positioning in one on one contests. He could be very very good in the right team. I cant see how we could've made it work with where our team is at and list profile. Youd have to change our forward structure consideribly to make him fit into our team. I believe he'll make a very good forward, but hed have to slip into the right system. And we are not it. A team like Brisbane, a team like Richmond, a team like Port Adelaide, a team like Melbourne, a team like Fremantle - He'd work great in their structures. But a team like us, a team like West Coast, a team like Geelong - Would be a complete failure and a liability to the team. I Know Poholke has the talent to be very good, but he'll never realise it in our team. I hope he goes somewhere else in the right system. If he can land in that right system, he could be the best ex-crow since Phil Davis. I could see him as a 40goal a year forward IN THE RIGHT SYSTEM. Here he'd be lucky to get 14.

more paragraphs please

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only the 2 NGA options now, right?

No one can justify putting David on the main list. It is a mistake ... But where DM is concerned, AFC have repeatedly shown themselves to have a massive blind spot.
Its sad that Mackay was one of our better players this year

Its a sign if our recruiting coupled with where we finished

The blame lays purely at our recruitment

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Its sad that Mackay was one of our better players this year

Its a sign if our recruiting coupled with where we finished

The blame lays purely at our recruitment

He wasnt one of our better players - he played to his average

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Only the 2 NGA options now, right?

No one can justify putting David on the main list. It is a mistake ... But where DM is concerned, AFC have repeatedly shown themselves to have a massive blind spot.
My point is that we finished bottom. By a long way. And yet we think our list is so good, we can't possibly find room for Edwards and maybe Newchurch. Are we for real?
Maybe don't sign Mackay.
Maybe cut Murphy.
Maybe cut Stengle (if he isn't improving his off field)
Maybe cut Kelly
Maybe cut Seedsman
Maybe should have traded out lynch for a bag of chips

We could have made more moves, but decided our list so so good we don't need to.

It's utterly bizarre

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
My point is that we finished bottom. By a long way. And yet we think our list is so good, we can't possibly find room for Edwards and maybe Newchurch. Are we for real?
Maybe don't sign Mackay.
Maybe cut Murphy.
Maybe cut Stengle (if he isn't improving his off field)
Maybe cut Kelly
Maybe cut Seedsman
Maybe should have traded out lynch for a bag of chips

We could have made more moves, but decided our list so so good we don't need to.

It's utterly bizarre
I can understand not cutting players, we already have no depth and we’d be paying out more contracts. Plus this years draft is so unknown it could all be for nothing.

But giving Mackay another year is bizarre. Milera, Smith, Hamill, Sholl, Seedsman, McPherson and is more than enough cover to play his role and all are better options.

If we for whatever reason we choose not to use 40 then they should get the sack.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He wasnt one of our better players - he played to his average
He was far better equipped than pohlkoke and Gooch to play AFL

The sad fact is he was clearly at a best 22 level meaning the rest of our players weren't as good as him

Better get recruiting right soon or we are in for years of pain

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back