News AFL to trial new zone rule in second-tier competition next season (Full rule changes inside)

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a 0.67 correlation between interchanges and average score.

So decreasing interchanges has so far decreased score.

Obviously a lot more factors in it, but still seems a bit crazy.

Yep. I am not sure there is any evidence that players who are more tired score more. Does anyone know the average scoring in the 1st quarter compared to the 4th quarter?

The man on the mark rule has the real potential of wrecking games.

One rule change I would be in favour of is a 25m penalty for lesser indiscretions such as running in the protected zone where the offender is not impacting the play.

Yep just like the protected area rule it will be ignored 95% of the time anyway and paid out of nowhere the other 5%. It also puts way more pressure on umpires to call playon immediately as the player with ball moves off his line. It will be a debacle in the early rounds and then relaxed after that while still deciding the odd game.

Watch a match from the 90's its like a different sport.

Pressure is everything in the AFL. Players who are not under pressure don't make as many mistakes. The AFL in 2020 has so much pressure on every position due to defensive gameplans being so sophisticated. In the 90's they didn't really have a defensive gameplan beyond the super obvious. As a result it made it much easier for players to attack and look skillful.

In 2014 Hawthorn played 25 games and their worst score was 13.8.86, high scoring, wonder how many rules they have change since then.

Nothing particularly substantial, nothing that would affect the scoring that much. However, in the last 6 years the defensive structures of most teams has improved even more, making scoring even harder. Every year the coaches learn better ways to stop the opposition from scoring.

Disagree. Fans are saying the game is stuffed because of slower ball movement and considerably lower scoring, which less informed fans are blaming on the AFL rule changes.
agree. We arent seeing zoning, low scoring, and congestion because of rule changes. We are seeing it because the coaches are exploiting the lack of rules in our game to position all their players around or behind the bal. The AFL are reacting to a devolution of the game due to tactics, not rules

I think so as well. I think a 15 a side change fixes everything. It creates a lot more space, a lot more running and scoring and makes defensive tactics way harder to implement. It fixes everything and will fix everything for decades.

Problem is people like Kevin Bartlet hate it, and will scream that the game is dead if the AFL tried to make the sport 15 a side, and when people like Kevin Bartlet start having a meltdown about it he has a big enough audience that he can convince a lot of people that 15 a side is the worst thing ever, and then the AFL will do what it always does and backs down.

I'm not necessarily a fan of reducing players on field, although I'm not necessarily a believer that rules need tinkering from above. I'd just as happily scorch a bunch of them from the last 2 decades as they contribute nothing to the game. Chasing some mythical spectacle is the wrong way about it in my opinion.

With all that said reducing to say 15-16 onfield players does seem like the easiest, cleanest and simplest way to fundamentally change the amount of space on a ground and the ability to defend v attack instantly and without f*cking around with a million other hard to police rules. Surely the VFL would be a logical place to trial this for a couple of years and surely a post COVID season with smaller lists would be a logical time to do so...

More nonsense 50m penalties for nothing issues is not something to look forward to. I hate cheap 50m penalties and goals even when they're in favour of my own team. Especially when 1 minute later a player will be intentionally flattened while taking a mark and they'll just pay a simple free.

I wonder how much involvement the coaches have had in these changes? Surely they would be well placed to understand what rules would reduce their ability to score and balance attack and defense

I wonder how much involvement the coaches have had in these changes? Surely they would be well placed to understand what rules would reduce their ability to score and balance attack and defense

Chris Scott is a big fan of reducing players on the field. Said Geelong has done a few practice matches with fewer players on the field and the difference in ball movement was very noticable.

Like the drop in music quality, our poor young generation will not get to see how great Australian Rules Football (it's real fecking name) once was. Thankfully they can watch 1980s 1990s State of Origin and sit with their mouths open wide. I watch SANFL from the 70s and 80s and hell it's far better to watch than AFL today. Rules should not have changed, and only by referendum of the public and players, not the total twats that are the AFL. Shame. WHen I played, and for over 130 years, the game was about protecting the player going first for the ball. TOday, LOL, it's wait for the opponent to get it, then tackle him and get a free as the ball slips from his grasp one feckin second after he gets it and when the tackler is ontop of him calling 'ball' and a second player jumps on the two of them, the player with the ball underneath doesn't get the in the back paid WHICH IT IS! F me.

Chris Scott is a big fan of reducing players on the field. Said Geelong has done a few practice matches with fewer players on the field and the difference in ball movement was very noticable.
Probably played for a shorter duration too.. and at lower intensity. Give me a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is very hard to police though. They would be awarding 200 free kicks a game if they followed the strict letter of the law.

Also why aren't you reviewing tanks right now?

You think coaches would let their players continue throwing the ball when being pinged 100 times ?

2 weeks of strict enforcement of existing rules is all it needs. Not constant meddling by people who refuse to admit they have no idea what they are doing.

That is very hard to police though. They would be awarding 200 free kicks a game if they followed the strict letter of the law.

Also why aren't you reviewing tanks right now?
Go back to the 80's and check how many frees were being paid. There were 25+ per team usually with regular games featuring 60/70+ free kicks.

I've watched a lot of old games on Kayo and youtube during lockdown and one thing you realise is as soon as a player gets tackled it's either a free or a ball up. there is hardly more than 2 seconds and a decision is made one way or the other. Then the ball is tossed up asap.

Don't need to change the rules just enforce them properly, balling up quicker won't allow the army of players to congregate around stoppages and there won't be rolling scrums.

Go back to the 80's and check how many frees were being paid. There were 25+ per team usually with regular games featuring 60/70+ free kicks.

I've watched a lot of old games on Kayo and youtube during lockdown and one thing you realise is as soon as a player gets tackled it's either a free or a ball up. there is hardly more than 2 seconds and a decision is made one way or the other. Then the ball is tossed up asap.

Don't need to change the rules just enforce them properly, balling up quicker won't allow the army of players to congregate around stoppages and there won't be rolling scrums.

Easier to enforce back then as there were not the fast paced handballs there are now. Plus these days there are twice as many disposals per match as back in the 80's.

I think the 6 man zone rule could work if it were just for kick ins. That's where the zone/press is most effective and most stimeying for the game. Thinning that out would help.

The man on the mark rule is a bit of a joke really, they better call play on the second the attacker moves off his line as most of the the marker just responding to his movements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back