State of Origin 2020 State Of Origin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth remembering there are two blokes called Michael Morgan and Kalyn Ponga who will be sniffing around this team next year.

Interesting vision of Arrow - while it was a bad play, he didn’t need to do it, as soon as he actually realised Tedesco was hurt, he was the one who called out to the referee
Ponga, Dave Fifita when fit. Easy 10+ Origin players.

To be fair, so is Kotonni Staggs who missed for NSW.

They booed Fitler during the minutes silence last week, so it's a step up. Queenslanders.
I think both sets of fans are bad for it. But I suppose I shouldn't be criticising a sport when I only watch a handful of games a year.

The players have to be adept at the new position though.
Holmes is a FB/Winger, Gagai is a Centre/Winger, Gutherson is not a centre, Yeo isn't a centre, Wighton was one of the players of the year and was picked/played out of position. NSW loaded up with big forwards on the bench and were then in huge trouble when Tedesco went down.

Wighton played the majority of his first 100 NrL games at centre and his first few representative starting games (for Country) were at centre. Even Gutherson only permanently went to fullback last year after drifting between centre and fullback with manly and Parra up until then.

Obviously it’s not his best spot either but it’s not like he’s not experienced there.

Worth remembering there are two blokes called Michael Morgan and Kalyn Ponga who will be sniffing around this team next year.

Interesting vision of Arrow - while it was a bad play, he didn’t need to do it, as soon as he actually realised Tedesco was hurt, he was the one who called out to the referee

Morgan won't be playing well he shouldn't be!

Ponga is a tricky one. I'd personally say AJ Brimson in his one game has been better than Ponga has been. Tight call.

I think both sets of fans are bad for it. But I suppose I shouldn't be criticising a sport when I only watch a handful of games a year.

The hatred of NSW is decades in the making, look up the history. Captains are always booed, it's a sign of respect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queensland dominated. Deserved to win. Would have been the biggest steal since Bradbury if NSW got a try at the end and pulled it off in golden point. Still - I would've taken it for sure.

Their forwards laid far too strong of a platform from the opening minutes and were relentless throughout. NSW didn't get any momentum through the middle of the ground until about the 65th minute by which point the margin should have more than the 14 points it was. To compound that we kept giving them much better field position - aside from that 40-20 in the first half and a couple of other moments the NSW kicking game was atrocious. Even the kick that resulted in the Tedesco try was a s**t kick that should have been easily defused. Certainly not Cleary's finest game, albeit he was playing behind a beaten pack.

Non penalty try call was right. Addo-Carr scores there almost every time, but you can't give a penalty try from 10-15 metres out when the two guys are more or less neck and neck.

NSW selection - I know Wighton's versatility gives NSW the option to play him in the centres whilst Walker was in well good enough form to justify the call, but I think in 2021 - assuming Wighton is still in the form he is in - he has to move to permanent five-eight as it's his best position by far and he is the best five-eight NSW has. When he got the chance he looked dangerous tonight, but playing in the centres he isn't able to be the ever present threat that he is when in the halves. If Mitchell and Trbojevic are fit and firing in 2021 that option should be taken away from the selectors anyway and they can just pick the best five-eight.

Harry Grant - what a star this guy is. Poor Jake Friend - he can't take a trick when it comes to building an origin career. Friend did nothing wrong tonight but there was a huge difference in play when Grant was at hooker in comparison to Friend. Grant has to start #9 in 2021, which would almost certainly leave Friend out in the cold (seems a wasted position to play him as a bench utility). With Grant and Munster on the field, Queensland will always be a chance of winning.

It's a shame injuries and concussions played such a big part in the series with Ponga, Munster, Fifita, Cordner, Trbojevic, Mitchell and Tedesco all missing chunks (or all) of the series. But that is the story of sport in 2020 I guess.

He’s talking about the penalty against Kaufusi with a couple of minutes on the clock five out from the line, holding on in the tackle

Oh my appologies, that was never going to be a bin.

Harry Grant - what a star this guy is. Poor Jake Friend - he can't take a trick when it comes to building an origin career. Friend did nothing wrong tonight but there was a huge difference in play when Grant was at hooker in comparison to Friend. Grant has to start #9 in 2021, which would almost certainly leave Friend out in the cold (seems a wasted position to play him as a bench utility). With Grant and Munster on the field, Queensland will always be a chance of winning.

Don't think Grant can play 80mins in an Origin game yet, don't mind him on the bench for a year or two. There's no rush

Queensland dominated. Deserved to win. Would have been the biggest steal since Bradbury if NSW got a try at the end and pulled it off in golden point. Still - I would've taken it for sure.

Their forwards laid far too strong of a platform from the opening minutes and were relentless throughout. NSW didn't get any momentum through the middle of the ground until about the 65th minute by which point the margin should have more than the 14 points it was. To compound that we kept giving them much better field position - aside from that 40-20 in the first half and a couple of other moments the NSW kicking game was atrocious. Even the kick that resulted in the Tedesco try was a sh*t kick that should have been easily defused. Certainly not Cleary's finest game, albeit he was playing behind a beaten pack.

Non penalty try call was right. Addo-Carr scores there almost every time, but you can't give a penalty try from 10-15 metres out when the two guys are more or less neck and neck.

NSW selection - I know Wighton's versatility gives NSW the option to play him in the centres whilst Walker was in well good enough form to justify the call, but I think in 2021 - assuming Wighton is still in the form he is in - he has to move to permanent five-eight as it's his best position by far and he is the best five-eight NSW has. When he got the chance he looked dangerous tonight, but playing in the centres he isn't able to be the ever present threat that he is when in the halves. If Mitchell and Trbojevic are fit and firing in 2021 that option should be taken away from the selectors anyway and they can just pick the best five-eight.

It's a shame injuries and concussions played such a big part in the series with Ponga, Munster, Fifita, Cordner, Trbojevic, Mitchell and Tedesco all missing chunks (or all) of the series. But that is the story of sport in 2020 I guess.

I’m biased because he’s one of my favourite players but I actually really liked the way Bennett handled the two dummy halves.

Friend is about as good a defensive hooker as I’ve seen outside of smith for a long time. Farah had a high work rate but Friend actually cuts big guys in half and tackles like a lock. I loved the idea of having him out there for that first 20
When it is always really willing, then Grant comes on to either work off the momentum the forwards have built tonight, while he is also dangerous enough to get his side on the front foot even when they’re not dominant.
When Friend came back on he was easily able to defend like a lock, and they suddenly had an extra ball player in attack.

I don’t think friend will get another game but hey, if he retires with a Test, three origins, a series win, and three premierships to his name during the era of Cameron Smith and the Storm, I don’t think he will be complaining too much.

Also my red white and blue eyes naturally roam towards my own club’s players but gee Lindsay Collins is absolutely bred for State of Origin.

Compare him physically to Haas, Paulo
And Papalii and he’s nothing remarkable. Geez he runs and hits hard though.

Also my red white and blue eyes naturally roam towards my own club’s players but gee Lindsay Collins is absolutely bred for State of Origin.

Tino too. Thought all the QLD forwards played well.

I’m biased because he’s one of my favourite players but I actually really liked the way Bennett handled the two dummy halves.

Friend is about as good a defensive hooker as I’ve seen outside of smith for a long time. Farah had a high work rate but Friend actually cuts big guys in half and tackles like a lock. I loved the idea of having him out there for that first 20
When it is always really willing, then Grant comes on to either work off the momentum the forwards have built tonight, while he is also dangerous enough to get his side on the front foot even when they’re not dominant.
When Friend came back on he was easily able to defend like a lock, and they suddenly had an extra ball player in attack.
Yep definitely worked well tonight so will be interesting to see if Queensland persist. If you lose and you've got a half/hooker on the bench who can only cover one position, they are usually the first ones in the firing line for selection in the next game.

Friend would be too good of a player to finish his career with only 3 origin games to his name.

I think Kaufusi is a little bit underwhelming, good club player end earned his shot but doesn’t offer a lot at this level. Agree about Tino and like Fatty and a few other commentators said, I can’t wait to watch he and Haas go at it for years to come

Plus remember the best one out of the lot was injured- David Fifita! Kaufusi does his job of protecting DCE.

Be interesting to see how a guy like Dylan Napa responds to this.

Had the world at his feet when he was with us. His career has done an impression of Ike from South Park doing his impression of David Caruso’s career when he left NYPD Blue. He basically had a mortgage on a Queensland jumper for years - might find it tough to ever get it back now

Yep definitely worked well tonight so will be interesting to see if Queensland persist. If you lose and you've got a half/hooker on the bench who can only cover one position, they are usually the first ones in the firing line for selection in the next game.

Friend would be too good of a player to finish his career with only 3 origin games to his name.

Very very underrated footballer. Cops it for not being dynamic enough out of dummy half but his style has been perfect for the chooks and it’s little things he does that make up for that lack of dynamic spark - even the way he gets out of dummy half, carries the ball in two hands and forces the A and B defenders to engage before he hits a running forward. That’s good craft. He knows he’s not Cook or Farah or Buderus, players that are quick enough on their feet to actually punch holes in a static defensive line. So he does the next best thing and commits that defence before aiming a teammate behind them.

Real glad he at least got his chance and was part of a winning series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back