As a fan who attends games, have you ever been consulted by anyone running the AFL for your view on the state of the game?

Have you ever been consulted by anyone running the AFL for your view on the state of the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Hocking & Co tell us "this is what the fans wanted" when they constantly change the rules of the game. So the question is, As a fan who attends games, have you ever been consulted by anyone running the AFL for your view on the state of the game?

Yes, I have filled out several different surveys over the years. Here's a link to one from 2018, and below are screenshots of some of the questions.

surveyafl.jpg

If you can't wait until the next survey to give the league a piece of your mind, this line is always open:

Have a look at the survey questions that posters have listed. They are not about the rules. Yet all we get are stupid changes to the rules. This is no longer our game but the plaything of a group of fools led by Hocking.

Have a look at the survey questions that posters have listed. They are not about the rules. Yet all we get are stupid changes to the rules. This is no longer our game but the plaything of a group of fools led by Hocking.
"30. Which of these rule changes would you support?"

The AFL do send out surveys which I have completed in the past.
I don't know how much they listen to them though, because Bigfooty is a great representative sample of AFL supporters, probably the biggest online community forum on the sport. And yet the majority of the time we all rightly question the AFLs actions.

If you want fan input, Bigfooty is a great pulsecheck.

Yes, I have filled out several different surveys over the years. Here's a link to one from 2018, and below are screenshots of some of the questions.

View attachment 1014418

If you can't wait until the next survey to give the league a piece of your mind, this line is always open:
Might as well put Are you happy with Richmond winning premierships and want to stop it?

View attachment 1014418

I also do these surveys, i am curious to see the results where it says the fans are desperate for rule changes to be made.

I also do these surveys, i am curious to see the results where it says the fans are desperate for rule changes to be made.
Here's what I read from Steve Hocking yesterday:

"The fans are looking for a better balance between defence and attack, and the game has definitely swayed towards defence."

You think he's making that up?

Yes. I was an AFL member for over 20 years and regularly received surveys about the game.

However the questions were often worded in a way to favor preferred outcomes, obviously to drive an agenda the AFL were pushing. And worse still, major topics that were important to die hard football fanatics were often completely ignored, replaced by irrelevant and frivolous questions only there to appease theatre goers.

It became obvious over the years that these surveys only existed to satisfy a KPI of "listening to the fans", and ultimately had zero impact on any decision made by the custodians of the game.

As Gillon McLachlan famously said on AFL 360 earlier this year when quizzed by Gerard Whateley and Mark Robinson about whether the AFL would listen to the clubs or fans about going back to full length quarters for the finals...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games turning to s**t, let's just face it.

The die-hards who's lives are to entangled in the social/cultural aspects of the football world will go along with whatever changes (no matter how much they complain) as they wouldn't know what to do with themselves without football/sport. The new generations while caring less and less about participating in sport (video games ect) will not know any better so those who do pick it up as fans will just think older fans are whingers, that is the cycle.

The moment business men starting running the AFL it was only ever going to head in one constant direction of profit making, you're naive to think any different imo.

Be sure to have your voice heard by filling out the latest survey, fellow fans.

This particular one is entirely about digital content but, let's be honest, the venn diagram for people who rant about the state of the game and people who rant about the AFL website is a perfect circle.

In any case, I did my bit:

BigFootyAFLsurvey.jpg

Back